GDT: 2022-23 season game 31 LA Kings vs Columbus Blue Jackets @3:00pm 12/11/22

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The Kings have participated in a shocking 10 games out of 30 in which at least one team has scored 5 goals. In every one of those games the team that scored 5 goals first has won the game. This includes 3 games where both teams scored at least 5 goals.

To give some context, 5 season ago the Kings did not participate in a single game in which both teams scored at least 5 goals.

Forget defense. First team to 5 goals wins.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yep and it was because of investment capital into him. Same reason why we have those garbage defenseman out there while there are better options in the organization.
Anything ending in *bort was a wild miss for DL. Lets not forget the DD draft when Kings also had 13 taking Teubert - missing out on later first rounders Karlsson, John Carlson, Gardiner, Del Zotto, Eberle. Hickey, Teubort and Forbort.. forgettable 1st round selections under DL.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Now go review the stats on 'scoring chances against'...way high and way above league average.
I do think that stat is part of the story but not all. Im sort of the last person to knock JQ.. but eye test says he is getting out of position more than usual probably because he doesnt trust his D and is trying to do too much.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The Kings have participated in a shocking 10 games out of 30 in which at least one team has scored 5 goals. In every one of those games the team that scored 5 goals first has won the game. This includes 3 games where both teams scored at least 5 goals.

To give some context, 5 season ago the Kings did not participate in a single game in which both teams scored at least 5 goals.

Its not too surprising when you add a weapon like Fiala, and actually downgrade your d-corps which wasnt upper half in the league to begin with. Edit: not to mention goaltending also worse year over year

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Its not too surprising when you add a weapon like Fiala, and actually downgrade your d-corps which wasnt upper half in the league to begin with. Edit: not to mention goaltending also worse year over year

They downgraded their D corp by adding a healthy Doughty????? Oh this should be good, please explain.

EDIT: I'm not saying Defense has been great, good or even ok, I'm saying the argument that they "downgraded the defense" is an idiotic one.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I do think that stat is part of the story but not all. Im sort of the last person to knock JQ.. but eye test says he is getting out of position more than usual probably because he doesnt trust his D and is trying to do too much.
I’m not implying that Quick looks like he straight outta 2012, I’m saying between the horrible defense and Cal Petersen, we’d have prob at least 6 more points in the standings right now and everyone would be relatively satisfied. (Well, maybe not on this board)

Reactions: AbsentMojo

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Name a goalie who doesn’t give up most of their goals up high. Picking a high corner isn’t exactly a magic trick to beating quick. If the shooter can do that they’re scoring more often than not on any goalie.

This is like saying “the book” on being a good goal scorer is shooting from the slot and not the boards. No shit?

No, it isn't. Quick is far more susceptible to these goals than other goalies. Always has been, but now that his reflexes have slowed he tries to compensate by guessing and getting there early. Puts him in danger on any deflected shot above his pads.

And players today are much more capable of picking corners at will. So while the ham and eggers can say "Quick didn't let in any softies so he must not have played bad", well look at the four or five that routinely beat him and see how they are scored. He just doesn't make enough saves at this stage of his career.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
They downgraded their D corp by adding a healthy Doughty????? Oh this should be good, please explain.

EDIT: I'm not saying Defense has been great, good or even ok, I'm saying the argument that they "downgraded the defense" is an idiotic one.
If this web persona of yours is your actual personality....

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
No, it isn't. Quick is far more susceptible to these goals than other goalies. Always has been, but now that his reflexes have slowed he tries to compensate by guessing and getting there early. Puts him in danger on any deflected shot above his pads.

And players today are much more capable of picking corners at will. So while the ham and eggers can say "Quick didn't let in any softies so he must not have played bad", well look at the four or five that routinely beat him and see how they are scored. He just doesn't make enough saves at this stage of his career.
Sure but at this point can you blame Quick? He shouldn't be playing 2/3 games anymore. We all know that. But what options are there? This has been coming for years and the Kings have continued to kick the can down the road. There's been several high profile draft picks they could have gotten and developed, but they instead decided to wait it out. I know they TRIED to get Wallstedt, but they should have given up whatever it was taking to get that slot. Goaltending will be the most pressing need when you're expecting the youth to be leading, and there's absolutely no sign of it being there.

Quick certainly can't play the same game he used to (at least not for 60+ games a years), but he's not going to change either. If the Kings aren't going to put him, and everyone else, in a position to succeed, I'm not going to blame the 35 year old guy who's just doing his best.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I’m not implying that Quick looks like he straight outta 2012, I’m saying between the horrible defense and Cal Petersen, we’d have prob at least 6 more points in the standings right now and everyone would be relatively satisfied. (Well, maybe not on this board)
Honestly JQ is almost in Cal territory lately.. i think its a vicious cycle where the d is porous and then the goalies try to do too much, then the d doesnt think the goalie will make the save so they try to do too much. The basic quality of the d-pairs (and playing on the wrong side) and then the scrambling of the partners (some of it from injury some of it not) is destabilizing the whole.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

"Oh God, the Kings are so boring. I'd rather watch a 6-5 loss than a 3-1 loss."

There goes a finger on the monkey paw.

Reactions: Kudelski37

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If this web persona of yours is your actual personality....

Probably is....I don't really f***ing care....so there is that...

You still haven't explained how they downgraded the D by adding Doughty,

Wait....are you arguing now that losing Maata and Strecher is a downgrade?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I would argue losing Maatta is a downgrade, but that's cause I argued that he was our best d-man last year. Most others around here pointed to him as the reason why the team didn't get to 110 points.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Probably is....I don't really f***ing care....so there is that...

You still haven't explained how they downgraded the D by adding Doughty,

You started with the assumption that DD was not in my initial assessment - that was incorrect. Im saying DD, Ando, Roy, Bjornfot, Spence, Edler, Maata, Durzi (and whatever scrub subs) were better overall statistically and to the eye test than the group this year - so its minus Bjornfot, Spence, Maata from last year.. plus Walker, another year of wear on Edler, Durzi on his wrong side getting 2nd pair minutes... that is cluster f***. What are you arguing here?

Reactions: psych3man

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You started with the assumption that DD was not in my initial assessment - that was incorrect. Im saying DD, Ando, Roy, Bjornfot, Spence, Edler, Maata, Durzi (and whatever scrub subs) were better overall statistically and to the eye test than the group this year - so its minus Bjornfot, Spence, Maata from last year.. plus Walker, another year of wear on Edler, Durzi on his wrong side getting 2nd pair minutes... that is cluster f***. What are you arguing here?

That the D didn't downgrade at all........they aren't playing worth a shit......but overall, it's the same damn defense minus Doughty all of last year....that was in the upper half of the league defensively

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
The Kings are the only team in both conferences to be in a playoff spot with a minus goal differential. I said it last year too but goal differential is one of the most telling stats when you try to separate contenders from pretenders.
Only the Ducks have given up more goals.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Sure but at this point can you blame Quick? He shouldn't be playing 2/3 games anymore. We all know that. But what options are there? This has been coming for years and the Kings have continued to kick the can down the road. There's been several high profile draft picks they could have gotten and developed, but they instead decided to wait it out. I know they TRIED to get Wallstedt, but they should have given up whatever it was taking to get that slot. Goaltending will be the most pressing need when you're expecting the youth to be leading, and there's absolutely no sign of it being there.

Quick certainly can't play the same game he used to (at least not for 60+ games a years), but he's not going to change either. If the Kings aren't going to put him, and everyone else, in a position to succeed, I'm not going to blame the 35 year old guy who's just doing his best.

I don't blame him at all. I blame our lousy GM who should have seen this coming and decided that it was better to keep a fading legend over the other goalies like Kuemper and Campbell who would have been more than sufficient while searching for a long-term replacement.

Instead he kept the broken down warhorse and signed Petersen to a premature deal. Both mistakes that he should have seen coming but decided that patronizing the past was more important than planning for the future - poor reasoning that has caused numerous problems since he took over.

No team that has gone this long without winning a series should have this many sacred cows. There has been zero progress under Blake.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
That the D didn't downgrade at all........they aren't playing worth a shit......but overall, it's the same damn defense minus Doughty all of last year....that was in the upper half of the league defensively
Its not the same personnel at all. The overall team defense without DD was mysteriously better last year - it doesnt follow that adding him back would be a linear improvement... something about him eating all those minutes is a guess. But just looking at the personnel - if aging Edler is even in your pairings - that right there is a sign you didnt upgrade. If Sean Durzi who is a consensus mess on defense is in your second pair on his wrong side, that is a sign you didnt upgrade. Having only 2LD going into the season is also a sign you didnt upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad