GDT: 2022-23 season game 31 LA Kings vs Columbus Blue Jackets @3:00pm 12/11/22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
lol. shocking ... you not being a fan of the Ducks (I assume) are basically saying they are in a better position than the Kings. Maybe you should go visit their board, offer to be a counselor because there's a whole lot of people over there who are standing on the ledge. Maybe we can swap coaches.

They have a clear objective/mandate though and all their decisions make plenty of sense--there's a vision there that extends beyond this year and they didn't hesitate to make front office changes as needed

We currently have vision soup and nepotism plot armor that would last far beyond this year even if the Kings finished last and lost the lottery

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
They have a clear objective/mandate though and all their decisions make plenty of sense--there's a vision there that extends beyond this year and they didn't hesitate to make front office changes as needed
Yeah, 1 regulation win in 30 games to start the season 'makes plenty of sense' and is all part of the master plan. Those fans need to get on board.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, 1 regulation win in 30 games to start the season 'makes plenty of sense' and is all part of the master plan. Those fans need to get on board.

Sure, it's also Pat Verbeek's first full year as GM, and they already have Zegras/McTavish/Drysdale as well as Mintyukov, Dostal, and strength at all positions and stand ready to unload Fowler and Gibson for picks as they pick up Bedard/Fantilli/Michkov etc.

I'd take that over blackholing while mishandling prospects anyday, none of us need to relive the 2000s Kings. We are one bad Dave Taylor trade away from the dark ages.

FOr the ducks fans it's not fun this year but ther'es a lot of promise for the future. For Kings fans I don't know what the f*** the team is doing yesterday, today, or tomorrow except trying in futility to win another game in which we've given up 5+ goals by rolling out Kopitar for his 24th minute with Kempe who is going to run into him.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Sure, it's also Pat Verbeek's first full year as GM, and they already have Zegras/McTavish/Drysdale as well as Mintyukov, Dostal, and strength at all positions and stand ready to unload Fowler and Gibson for picks as they pick up Bedard/Fantilli/Michkov etc.

I'd take that over blackholing while mishandling prospects anyday, none of us need to relive the 2000s Kings. We are one bad Dave Taylor trade away from the dark ages.

I think both things can happen, the Kings can be very good on our current path and the Ducks can be good on their direction.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'd take that over blackholing while mishandling prospects anyday,
Of course you would! You would just be posting away, over the moon in excitement...spewing joy in your 1 win of the season. I can see it now, how glorious that would be! LOL, love this place.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

We currently have vision soup and nepotism plot armor that would last far beyond this year even if the Kings finished last and lost the lottery

Imagine talking about the Ducks and Nepotism,

In their Front Office: Neidermayer, DiMaio, Stapleton, Johnson,

bland

Jul 1, 2004
no goalie is going to stop all the grade "A" looks teams keep getting, they're gonna go in. The defense is letting a dozen high quality shots a night, with numerous 2 on 1's by the other teams best guys. You really think he's gonna stop all of those?

He should be stopping a lot more than he allows in for sure. The chances may be grade "A" but the goaltending has been a "C" at best, and if this was anyone but Quick with the exact same effort there would be a lot more criticism of his style of play. That Laine goal was a terrific shot, but its the perfect example of this - a goalie who doesn’t drop to his knees ANTICIPATING a shot has a very good chance of stopping that.

Quick has been letting in saveable shots for years now, but every incredible save - which is usually do to him having to miraculously over-compensate for over-challenging in the first place - somehow makes folks forget that he has some major technical issues with his game. He has been below average for the last five years.

Reactions: kenito7

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Of course you would! You would just be posting away, over the moon in excitement...spewing joy in your 1 win of the season. I can see it now, how glorious that would be! LOL, love this place.
That's the thing you keep missing over and over again. There is absolutely no difference between 9th place and 15th. If anything, its far better for a team committed to a rebuild to finish lower. The Kings just dipped their toes in that then spent to the cap and harmed internal growth just to be the easiest of outs if they even make it.

THAT is not worth celebrating.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I'm convinced that Petersen has cost us 6 points -- which would put us at 41 points and tied with VGK for 1st place in the division.
You know that life doesn't work like that, right?

You could just as easily say that the Kings would be 8 points better if Durzi and Roy weren't paired. Or if the Kings kept Maatta they might be three points better.

Of course, those are all decisions made by management, and god forbid they get criticized because they are only a point or two from a playoff spot before Christmas...

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Imagine talking about the Ducks and Nepotism,

In their Front Office: Neidermayer, DiMaio, Stapleton, Johnson,

Scott Neidermeyer's title: special advisor
3rd assistant GM/Gulls GM Rob DiMaio was literaly never a Duck.
Player personnel Mike STapleton, also never Duck
Jim Johnson, player development, also never Duck

what the actual f*** are you talking about

And do you not see the difference between those roles and GM and President being lifers and coach hired by current GM played under him?

Edit: and to be clear my point isn't that friendly hires aren't a thing--theyr'e big in any workplace--but that who is looking over it when ALL of them are on the same team, who would fire Blake when he doesn't fire TM? Luc? Nope.

You know that life doesn't work like that, right?

You could just as easily say that the Kings would be 8 points better if Durzi and Roy weren't paired. Or if the Kings kept Maatta they might be three points better.

Of course, those are all decisions made by management, and god forbid they get criticized because they are only a point or two from a playoff spot before Christmas...

Axl completely owning himself but doesn't have the self-awareness to notice.

"Kings would be 8 points better in the standings except for those things you're criticizing that I'm arguing with because reasons"

Last edited:

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
I’m gonna assume the Kings would be #1 overall in the league right now.

exactly what i was thinking and once again you have your finger on the pulse on the hockey nation.
Well the Kings would have one more point, maybe two.

point is momentum means something in sports...giving away points in Game 1 set the stage for the what lay ahead of the season.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Doesn't Kariya advise from time to time too?

Maybe, the entire point is, it makes someone look extremely stupid and foolish to get upset with "crony nepotism" when LA does it and ignores that the entire SPORTS WORLD is made up of it...

He should be stopping a lot more than he allows in for sure. The chances may be grade "A" but the goaltending has been a "C" at best, and if this was anyone but Quick with the exact same effort there would be a lot more criticism of his style of play. That Laine goal was a terrific shot, but its the perfect example of this - a goalie who doesn’t drop to his knees ANTICIPATING a shot has a very good chance of stopping that.

Quick has been letting in saveable shots for years now, but every incredible save - which is usually do to him having to miraculously over-compensate for over-challenging in the first place - somehow makes folks forget that he has some major technical issues with his game. He has been below average for the last five years.

The bolded is just asinine horseshit from someone who has never strapped on pads in his life.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

And do you not see the difference between those roles and GM and President being lifers and coach hired by current GM played under him?

Edit: and to be clear my point isn't that friendly hires aren't a thing--theyr'e big in any workplace--but that who is looking over it when ALL of them are on the same team, who would fire Blake when he doesn't fire TM? Luc? Nope.

"Kings would be 8 points better in the standings except for those things you're criticizing that I'm arguing with because reasons"

It's literally Cronyism.....DiMaio and Verbeek played together.....oh shit.....

You thought that definition only meant something if the person played for the actual team they worked for??? Really?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's literally Cronyism.....DiMaio and Verbeek played together.....oh shit.....

You thought that definition only meant something if the person played for the actual team they worked for??? Really?

In this case, that's the major issue

AEG is far too familiar with Luc, Rob, and via them the staff, they're going to have wayyyyy too much rope, they already promoted them from within, and most of those hires didn't even do more than one outside interview. They've played here, they're enshrined here for decades. That's a far different scenario than elsewhere. None of these guys are going anywhere unless they ALL go.

No one is going to accuse the Samuelis with being too close to Pat Verbeek, and I'm certain if the Ducks are blackholing in 6 years, he'll be flushed. But he'll also likely fire his coach before then, if not other staff.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Whataboutism and comparing the Kings to the literal worst team in the league - and even the worst team in the league doesn't do it as being portrayed.

It's sort of like defending hating dogs with "Yeah, but Hitler hates dogs too" only to have it pointed out he had dogs of his own.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Seeing Grundstrum get out muscled by a guy 40lbs lighter for goal 6 was awful. the dude has just sucked for weeks now. he needs to be scratched for a few weeks.
In my view forwards Lizotte, JAD, Grundstrum and Moore should be traded if they have any value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad