GDT: 2022-23 season game 31 LA Kings vs Columbus Blue Jackets @3:00pm 12/11/22

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Its not the same personnel at all. The overall team defense without DD was mysteriously better last year - it doesnt follow that adding him back would be a linear improvement... something about him eating all those minutes is a guess. But just looking at the personnel - if aging Edler is even in your pairings - that right there is a sign you didnt upgrade. If Sean Durzi who is a consensus mess on defense is in your second pair on his wrong side, that is a sign you didnt upgrade. Having only 2LD going into the season is also a sign you didnt upgrade.

Which is horseshit 20/20 hindsight f***ed up thinking....

Again, it is the SAME personnel, Roy, Andersson, Durzi, Edler.....they ADDED....DD and Walker......and you say it was downgraded?

That's some weird way to downgrade...by ADDING two solid players.....

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I was watching the game with my dad and even after coming back to tie the game up in the 3rd we both knew they weren't going win in OT. He bet we'd lose within 15 seconds, I gave them a little more credit and thought they'd lose within a minute. Sad to be right sometimes.

Remember those days when this team was money in OT?

Garon, right?

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I assume you felt the same way at the end of last season?
Yes.

You think that progress is measured in games won. That is tiny, little picture stuff and inconsequential coming out of a rebuild. If this was a veteran team without the abundance of kids earned by years of poor veteran performances then yeah, maybe you consider taking a lousy team to 7 games as a step forward. Then sure, bring in a Fiala to solve a problem. But this team has 5 or 6 problems to address before transitioning into a contender and not only have they not addressed those problems , they created even more with this ridiculous lineup configuration that was awful on paper and equally awful on ice, and they won't address it at all.

Progress here will be measured by how well the fruits of the rebuild are integrated into the lineup to replace what is clearly not working. Buying a 2nd line with the cap you cleared out was good enough to get into the playoffs, but no, there was no actual progress. This is the same team with the same key figures who weren't good enough to win more than 1 lousy playoff game in 7 years. The Kings are not going to win anything with Kopitar, Doughty and Quick at 80% (generously) of their previous impact and STILL getting the important situations. Its clearly not good enough, there is a potential solution with a good likelihood of success already in the organization but they won't use it so the moldy oldies can keep chasing their tails.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I don't get the outrage here.
This teams play exactly like that since 5 years or so without any major change.
The point of a rebuild is a rebuild not keeping everything alive that is a proven ingredient
of failure.

I ask myself the 2 most important question every season.
Can our top 6 force their game on other playoff teams? NO
Can our top 4 defense keep other playoff teams from scoring? NO

As long as those questions remain answered with NO, it doesn't matter which player leads stats for Kings players, since our opponents are not the Kings.
Keep playing the exact core that is the cause for those answers and mix it with a proven loser coach
is really making me scratching my head.
What would we actually lose by playing the youngsters to the purpose they were actually drafted for?
In the beginning we would lose the same games, we would lose with our oldies anyways, the only difference is that we have an upside and hope for a better future

Also having the other Pacific teams playing so incredible bad that we make the top 3 in our division is no step forward at all. It is actually a future damaging ongoing process, the Flames fans know all too well

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
[...] The Kings are not going to win anything with Kopitar, Doughty and Quick at 80% (generously) of their previous impact and STILL getting the important situations. Its clearly not good enough, there is a potential solution with a good likelihood of success already in the organization but they won't use it so the moldy oldies can keep chasing their tails.
Adding to your key point - those 3 are declining in ability year over year and are some of the highest paid players on the team - so its a low and declining value to salary ratio.. where if you rebuild right you get a very high value to salary ratio that improves year over year as they develop.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yes.

You think that progress is measured in games won. That is tiny, little picture stuff and inconsequential coming out of a rebuild. If this was a veteran team without the abundance of kids earned by years of poor veteran performances then yeah, maybe you consider taking a lousy team to 7 games as a step forward. Then sure, bring in a Fiala to solve a problem. But this team has 5 or 6 problems to address before transitioning into a contender and not only have they not addressed those problems , they created even more with this ridiculous lineup configuration that was awful on paper and equally awful on ice, and they won't address it at all.

Progress here will be measured by how well the fruits of the rebuild are integrated into the lineup to replace what is clearly not working. Buying a 2nd line with the cap you cleared out was good enough to get into the playoffs, but no, there was no actual progress. This is the same team with the same key figures who weren't good enough to win more than 1 lousy playoff game in 7 years. The Kings are not going to win anything with Kopitar, Doughty and Quick at 80% (generously) of their previous impact and STILL getting the important situations. It’s clearly not good enough, there is a potential solution with a good likelihood of success already in the organization but they won't use it so the moldy oldies can keep chasing their tails.
He won’t respond to this directly that’s for sure.

Winning games means nothing and losing doesn’t either to me frankly. I find myself most interested to watch when they’re playing good hockey. Kings are playing terrible hockey. I think Blake did a really good job adding Fiala but I think he’s absolutely delusional not acquiring an LD before the season started. It was woefully obvious to all that the Kings have a massive issue there. And Blake failing to do anything about the Cal and Quick issue is also a problem. Quicks old and cal sucked for a while. Again what worries me about Blake is that he goes out of his way to hire a coach that got reverse swept when we all knew by logical deduction that whatever juju was in the kings locker room wasn’t good. And they hire a loser? Really?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
He won’t respond to this directly that’s for sure.

Winning games means nothing and losing doesn’t either to me frankly. I find myself most interested to watch when they’re playing good hockey.
Oh good, feedback from HERO OF THE......ehh, nevermind.

So you are saying if the Kings are playing 'good hockey', you wouldn't mind the losing? When in reality, if the team was playing 'good', how many games would they really be losing?

Do you read your stuff before you post it?

For the record, NOBODY believes that you would ever stop complaining no matter what the results of the games are or how they are playing. Nobody....

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I assume you felt the same way at the end of last season?

Oh good, feedback from HERO OF THE......ehh, nevermind.

So you are saying if the Kings are playing 'good hockey', you wouldn't mind the losing? When in reality, if the team was playing 'good', how many games would they really be losing?

Do you read your stuff before you post it?

For the record, NOBODY believes that you would ever stop complaining no matter what the results of the games are or how they are playing. Nobody....

Yes, PLENTY of us said this ALL SEASON LAST SEASON, not just at the end.

Don't pretend your nonstop bitching about bitching is just a reaction to people being reactionary this year.

The idea was last season was smoke and mirrors around vets that won't be here when the team is truly competitive again and we need to start giving the youth oh you know what f*** it, you know better, you just refuse.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Yes, PLENTY of us said this ALL SEASON LAST SEASON, not just at the end.

Don't pretend your nonstop bitching about bitching is just a reaction to people being reactionary this year.

The idea was last season was smoke and mirrors around vets that won't be here when the team is truly competitive again and we need to start giving the youth oh you know what f*** it, you know better, you just refuse.
I think some of you might have happier lives if you found a new team -- but I'm not a doctor so what do I know?

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Just close this site down.

Kings are good. In playoff spot. Made playoffs last year. That is good. Todd is an NHL coach and therefore knows best. Blake is an NHL GM and therefore knows best. Ad-hominem. Strawmen. End of story. See you at the parade.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Kings are good. In playoff spot. Made playoffs last year. That is good. Todd is an NHL coach and therefore knows best. Blake is an NHL GM and therefore knows best. Ad-hominem. Strawmen. End of story. See you at the parade.
The Rose Parade?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

by 10pm tonight, they may not be. By points percentage, they're hanging on by a thread--literally a point by any of 3-4 teams and the kings aren't just out, they tumble to around 10th.

Then what will the refrain be from the results-only club?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
if you did the kind of calisthenics in real life that you do on this board to avoid the point you'd be an olympic athlete.
I've had 25+ years of enduring Kings misery -- you guys all act like this is your first day on the job. The sky is blue, beer is good...and the Kings suck. What else is f***ing new?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I've had 25+ years of enduring Kings misery -- you guys all act like this is your first day on the job. The sky is blue, beer is good...and the Kings suck. What else is f***ing new?

Bro we are all with you there, which is why it's so surprising that you're surprised that we're surprised

I can only speak for me but I have higher expectations for what's been put together than the results I am seeing, no more no less

Reactions: The Pale King

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Bro we are all with you there, which is why it's so surprising that you're surprised that we're surprised

I can only speak for me but I have higher expectations for what's been put together than the results I am seeing, no more no less

Last year was more of a philosophical debate: fulfilling the promise of the rebuild vs looking for more immediate results. Lots of stuff to argue about there based on your individual ideas of what should happen to improve the team.

This year is completely different. Clearly important decisions are being postponed as long as possible and its not only harming the development of the prospects but also damaging the chances at immediate success. Not sure why there is so much anger here, nobody should by content, much less happy, with the teams efforts.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Last year was more of a philosophical debate: fulfilling the promise of the rebuild vs looking for more immediate results. Lots of stuff to argue about there based on your individual ideas of what should happen to improve the team.
#fakenews. Don't make up shit to fulfill your narrative.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

This year is completely different. Clearly important decisions are being postponed as long as possible and its not only harming the development of the prospects but also damaging the chances at immediate success. Not sure why there is so much anger here, nobody should by content, much less happy, with the teams efforts.

The best answer I can see is "because they're in a playoff spot" but that may not be true as soon as tonight, hence the question--what happens when we fall out?

I'd say 'when' not 'if' at this point given the games in hand and points percentages of 5 teams immediately behind us.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Kings as currently constructed this season, and likely for the next few seasons, are no better than 1st round playoff fodder.

This organization will not win jack with Robitaille and Blake calling the shots, and that is all you need to know. When those two are finally fired someday, then we can start to look for positive change once again.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Kings as currently constructed this season, and likely for the next few seasons, are no better than 1st round playoff fodder.

This organization will not win jack with Robitaille and Blake calling the shots, and that is all you need to know. When those two are finally fired someday, then we can start to look for positive change once again.

Post absolutely SMACKS of personal bias bullshit.......not surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad