WC: 2021 Switzerland roster talk

Derbon99

May 18, 2021
The Swiss team looks really good this year and I feel that they are going to be very dangerous against any opponent this year. You've got a very interesting mix of players: experience in the net (Genoni, Berra), high-end forwards (Hischier, Meier), experienced leaders (Diaz, Ambühl), leading NLA contributors (Untersander, Hofmann, Andrighetto, Rod) and very disciplined grinders (Scherwey, Herzog, Simion). Despite notable omissions such as Josi and Niederreiter, this team will be a huge pain in the ass for everyone :laugh:

Best of luck you guys and who knows, maybe you'll even go all the way?!

i really think Switzerland can win with such roster.
Meier and Hischier are (the?) among best players and we can play 4 good lines with red hot players (ghetto - Hoffman - simion)
Defense is solid and Genoni will be close to the best.
I can’t believe I was able to get 20/1 for my bet (Switzerland wining the tournament)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, Switzerland can win. But Switzerland also can miss the playoffs. The ice is thin and if your reach the Quarters everything is possible with a hot goalkeeper and a good run.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yeah, Switzerland can win. But Switzerland also can miss the playoffs. The ice is thin and if your reach the Quarters everything is possible with a hot goalkeeper and a good run.

Agreed. The 2013 roster when we made the finals was way worse than this one. The team we had two years ago was probably better though after the reinforcements arrived and we still lost in the quarters, even if it was incredibly close. What I don't get is why Fischer doesn't leave at least one roster spot open, especially for the case Nashville would get swept in the playoffs. Getting Josi (or Fiala, Nino to a lesser extent) could be a game changer even if they would arrive very late. The Swedes for example are apparently leaving several spots open for potential reinforcements. But maybe the players in question have all already declined in advance...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
2013 was just a perfect example of a miracle run (just like Finland 2019 or Czechs 2011 (?)), this year's team legitimately has all the needed pieces for success.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
So the door is still open for Josi to join the team later if I understood right?

In theory yes but I am pretty sure our coach said to the media last week that no players still engaged in the playoffs will join the team this time because of quarantine requirements. In case Nashville gets swept I would still keeping a spot open for Josi though for the knockout stage, but apparently Fsicher doesnt plan to...

Reactions: Mestaruus

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Josi might have a shot at making it for the last game of the first round if he's out on sunday. Fiala and Niederreiter could be in time for the quarterfinals.

I expect Fischer to leave spots opened, he made that comment back when no one expected the NHL to start the playoffs before the end of the regular season.

Derbon99

May 18, 2021
It would be a big surprise if we miss the playoff
Honestly i think the A group is a lot tougher than the B.
Russia and Czech (same level as Swiss team)
are pretty good.
US is really weak (looks like an AHL team)

Reactions: BigBadBoar

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
And what about quarantine ? How many days between eventual Nashville sweep and quarters ?

Nashville could be out Sunday I think. Which would leave about 10 days to the quarters. That should be enough.
But it's up to Fischer if he wants that. And if NSH-CAR goes to game 7 he probably won't wait.

Yeah, it would be a surpise if the team misses the quarters, no question, but you have to beat SVK, DEN and BLR first. Both are not that far away and you can loose such games.
I also think that Group A looks stronger.

Derbon99

May 18, 2021
I think we are too good to miss the quarter.
Even in case of a misstep against weaker opponents we should grab a couple of points against tougher competitors.
IMHO

Derbon99

May 18, 2021
I can see Fischer making an exception for Josi in case he is swept.
Such a great player and always present (which is rare for star players)! he should clearly come if available

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer is somehow unpredictable sometimes. Sound logical, yes. But we'll see. But first the Hurricanes need to to their job. ;)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
He'd be stupid if he wouldn't. Especially if you could get a Josi for the quarters.

Meanwhile my team Finland already locked up the team (from getting NHL playoffs players), but it worked in 2019 to lock it up earlier so we'll see. I mean that's guys like Aho, Rantanen, Barkov we're talking about...

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Fischer is somehow unpredictable sometimes. Sound logical, yes. But we'll see. But first the Hurricanes need to to their job. ;)

The whole Malgin/Herzog affair is a good example of this. And its not like its totally uncommon to use up all roster spots on day one as Finland for example shows. However not leaving one or two spots open especially for Josi would be just dumb as you pointed out. Anyway we will know more when the tournament starts.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I get not keeping spots open for the NHLers this year with quarantine and all. Niederreiter and Fiala would be great addition to the roster, of course, but the uncertainty is big and building up team chemistry may make it worth using those spots for other players.
With Josi though I would definitely risk keeping a spot. What he brings in terms of skills, points, experience and leadership is absolutely off the chart, plus he has a very good chance to be done with the playoffs very soon. If he says he'd come, it would be a very very odd choice not wait for him.
To be fair, I hope he wins the Stanley Cup, but it's not going to happen this year, so I'd much rather have him flying to Riga as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yup... 2010 was our miracle run. 2011 saw us send a much better team... we were awesome and did worse.lol

This is going to be a very good Swiss team... 2 silvers in the last 7 tourneys... this is a great chance for the Gold.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Yup... 2010 was our miracle run. 2011 saw us send a much better team... we were awesome and did worse.lol

This is going to be a very good Swiss team... 2 silvers in the last 7 tourneys... this is a great chance for the Gold.

Yeah, Switzerland can definitely take gold this year. The have got a great squad, well balanced in all aspects.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Sweden and Russia are certainly more beatable than usual this year, so finishing higher than 4th in the group is definitely possible, but I would focus on Belarus and Slovakia before talking about medal, they can easily challenge for a quarterfinal spot too. No one has a particularly impressive roster this year, so it will all be about which team gels the best.

But realistically, winning an elimination game without Josi will be tough.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Derbon99

May 18, 2021
Sweden and Russia are certainly more beatable than usual this year, so finishing higher than 4th in the group is definitely possible, but I would focus on Belarus and Slovakia before talking about medal, they can easily challenge for a quarterfinal spot too. No one has a particularly impressive roster this year, so it will all be about which team gels the best.

But realistically, winning an elimination game without Josi will be tough.

honestly I have no fear looking at the other teams
Even Canada is beatable even without josi
Not saying it s a walk in the park but it looks very promising

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
honestly I have no fear looking at the other teams
Even Canada is beatable even without josi
Not saying it s a walk in the park but it looks very promising

I agree. Swiss beat Canada 3:2 in 2017. when Canada iced the roster with likes of MacKinnon, Marner, Parayko, Point, O'Reilly, Schenn, Scheifele...

Reactions: Eye of Ra

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
23 players registered on iihf.com

Frick, Heldner, Mottet, Rod and Vermin not on the list yet. Vermin is surprising, does it mean that Bertschy is the 4th line center?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I guess these are the 20 players for tomorrow. Means 4 full lines instead of 7+13.

So let's guess lines

Meier - Hischier - Andrighetto
Hofmann - Corvi - Simion
Ambühl - Kurashwev - Praplan
Scherwey - Bertschy - Herzog

Diaz - Moser/Geisser
Alatalo - Müller
Untersander - Siegenthaler
Loeffel - Moser/Geisser

Genoni to start, Berra then vs. Belarus.

Josi is down 0-2.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
The forward lines should look like that, maybe swap Ambühl with Herzog as Ambühl and Bertschy worked pretty well together in 2019.

On defense, I can see Moser with Untersander like against Latvia, and Geisser with one of Diaz or Alatalo. That would leave Müller/Siegenthaler with Loeffel and the one not playing with Geisser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad