WC: 2021 Switzerland roster talk

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
The team is good and stable enough to fight a medal without Josi.

I think even gold is possible with that roster this year. However Josi would have been a massive stepping stone towards that goal though. Fiala might be out with Minnesota tonight against Vegas so there is a chance that we will get him for the quarters.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fiala is RFA and could sign a big contract this summer. Altough he joined in a similar situation two years ago the contract we're speaking of this year might be longterm and with a much larger sum. So I'm a little bit sceptical if he really wants to risk it altough his history of reporting anytime when he's available. Haas could also be a possibility when the Oilers loose their forth game.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I just hope Switzerland manages to receive some kind of an additional NHL reinforcement to further boost the team a little, whether it's Josi, Fiala, Haas or Niederreiter. Switzerland has gotten so close to winning it all.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I'm not sure Haas would be much of an upgrade though, the centers are all at least as good as him and the lines are well balanced. You could maybe argue that Bertschy would do better at his natural position, but that's far from a given.

Last edited:
Reactions: amikaro

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Haas is one of the Top-12 forwards for Switzerland, no question, but I also wouldn't know where to fit him in currently. The lines seem to fit perfectly.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Haas would likely make the top 12 forwards, but I'm not sure about the "no question" part. Based on what we've seen at WCs already, a Swiss team with all forwards available could feature a Andrighetto-Hischier-Meier and Fiala-Corvi-Niederreiter top 6, then you have Haas, Hofmann, Malgin, Kurashev, Suter, Bertschy, Scherwey, Ambühl, Vermin... that's at least three very good players to leave out.

Derbon99

May 18, 2021
Not saying he is not good enough to make the team
Just saying I don’t see any upgrade in such circumstance (quarantine / team chemistry)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Im cheering for you guys to take the gold. U where so close 2013 and 2018. No Sweden this year to stop you guys.

About Haas, this team already have good chemistry and stuff, would not be a good idea to bring in too many players.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I'm not sure if I'd pick Corvi and Kurashev over Haas. But the good news is, I don't have to. :)

After 2018 it's hard to pass on the Corvi-Niederreiter combo. Kurashev can play on the wing too, so it's not necessarily between him and Haas. Malgin would probably play center, then there's Suter, Bertschy and Vermin, although all three are efficient on the wing too.

If I had to pick I'd probably find a way to fit Haas in there, I just don't agree that he's 100% a lock.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There was a question at the beginnig of the thread which language is spoken.

If you watch this video it's Swiss German:

Nice insight into the game vs. the Czechs.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
There was a question at the beginnig of the thread which language is spoken.

If you watch this video it's Swiss German:

Nice insight into the game vs. the Czechs.

The lockeroom chemistry seems good. But whats up with the "Wolfpack attitude"? Maybe they watched Das Boot as a teambuilding event:D

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
One of the best cycling-teams, Deceunick-Quickstep also uses this term. Don't know where it comes from.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
One of the best cycling-teams, Deceunick-Quickstep also uses this term. Don't know where it comes from.

It originates obviously from the hunting habits of wolves. In recent times however it is mainly used to describe how the U-Boot-Waffe of Nazi Germany operated in the Battle of the Atlantic. Since then the term has been made popular by movies, video games and heavy metal songs about WW2. I just thought it was a bit of a weird terminology for a swiss sports team. But maybe it is used widely in sports as you have mentioned the cycling team who uses it to.

Edit: A quick google search seems to indicate that its a popular term in north american sports (used by the Nashville Predators for example) and is probably referring to the animal metaphor and not to WW2.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Minnesota has cut Vegas' lead as well last night. Looks like we probably have to stick with the roster, as it is. Haas is a good player for the NT but i don't see him that much better compared to a Kurashev or Corvi that he should be brought over late.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo

So, Rod registered and apparently tested with Kurashev and Andrighetto, while Ambühl moved to the Hischier line.

Loeffel playing again, taking Siegenthaler's spot

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Strange to change the lines. Andrighetto didn't have his best game against Denmark, but the overall team chemistry was good.

And no way Ambühl and Andrighetto play center ahead of Hischier and Kurashev.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Strange to change the lines. Andrighetto didn't have his best game against Denmark, but the overall team chemistry was good.

Yeah, I'd keep the lines as they were last match, with Rod taking Vermin's spot. One can always shuffle stuff and try different lines after( and if ) the qualification is secure.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

Especially Ambühl over Hischier at center makes no sense whatsoever. Hischier is the most natural center on the team. If Fischer wants Andrighetto of the first line why not promote Hofmann or Praplan to first LW? Best option would be leaving the lines as they were though in my opinion...

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Well, that was a shameful performance if there is one...

Full credit to Sweden for coming out all guns blazing in the first period, fast hockey and aggressive forecheck, the two goal lead reflected what was happening on the ice. Second period was better and would have finished 0-0 without Gofman and Sidorenko's incompetence. But that third period was just unacceptable, Rod's penalty was a clear sign of giving up on the game while there was 20 minutes left and it all went downhill from there, and I'm afraid that could be a momentum killer that will ruin everything that's been built since 2017. Hopefully I am wrong.

Fischer bears some responsibilities too. No need to change the lines after two good performances, and why not have Berra on the bench ready to go if things go wrong in the first period, like when he pulled Hiller after 10 minutes against Canada in 2017? Having Nyffeler instead of Schlegel or van Pottelberghe is highly questionable in the first place, but he shouldn't have been in a position to play at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad