WC: 2021 Switzerland roster talk

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Carolina may want to secure home ice advantage over Vegas though. We'll see how that plays out, but that Dallas losing streak sure came at a bad time.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Nice, that will bring some defensive depth. So Siegenthaler, Müller, Frick, Fora, Moser, Diaz and Alatalo should be set. That's more balanced than I expected. Not sure if Fischer will want 9 or 10 defensemen, but Untersander and Loeffel should be next in line.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer adds:

Genoni

Alatalo
Diaz
Geisser
Siegenthaler

Hischier
Hofmann
Kurashev
Meier
Simion
Vermin
Rod

No real surpises. He needs to cut 4. Very thin on Center. Hischier, Kurashev, Corvi and Walser are natural Centers.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So current roster is:

Berra
Nyffeler
Genoni

(12 D)
Alatalo
Diaz
Geisser
Müller
Frick
Fora
Loeffel
Untersander
Moser
Heldner
Siegenthaler

(17 F)
Praplan
Ambühl
Hischier
Hofmann
Kurashev
Meier
Bertaggia
Simion
Scherwey
Herzog
Corvi
Vermin
Andrighetto
Mottet
Bertschy
Walser
Rod

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Fischer adds:

Genoni

Alatalo
Diaz
Geisser
Siegenthaler

Hischier
Hofmann
Kurashev
Meier
Simion
Vermin
Rod

No real surpises. He needs to cut 4. Very thin on Center. Hischier, Kurashev, Corvi and Walser are natural Centers.

Nice that most of the players we discussed made it, the only ones missing are Richard and Martschini.

12 defensemen and 17 forwards, that leaves 2/2 or 3/1 to cut. Vermin and Bertschy had success at center in 2018 and 2019, so that's decent depth.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Cuts on D are tough. Heldner is the obvious but beside him, I don't know.

On F I see Bertaggia and Mottet as those with the biggest risk.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Bertaggia, Mottet and Walser are the obvious ones.

On defense it's tougher to pick. Heldner of course, then between Geisser, Loeffel and Untersander I assume. I wonder if Fischer would go for a skilled top pair, or with offensive/defensive players pairs. In this case, I guess Siegenthaler, Müller, Fora and Frick would be set, and Diaz, Moser and Alatalo would play with the first 3.

Hard to guess what will happen at forward. Meier-Andrighetto worked well in 2018, as well as Hofmann-Kurashev in 2019. Hischier would be the logical choice to play with Meier and Andrighetto, but then who do you play with Corvi? Someone who can finish, so maybe Bertschy or Praplan? Or maybe try a Hofmann-Corvi-Kurashev line, although Corvi and Hofmann didn't work too well in 2018 and at the Olympics. An Ambühl-Vermin-Rod 4th line would be intriguing too.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

On defense it's tougher to pick. Heldner of course, then between Geisser, Loeffel and Untersander I assume. I wonder if Fischer would go for a skilled top pair, or with offensive/defensive players pairs. In this case, I guess Siegenthaler, Müller, Fora and Frick would be set, and Diaz, Moser and Alatalo would play with the first 3.

Hard to guess what will happen at forward. Meier-Andrighetto worked well in 2018, as well as Hofmann-Kurashev in 2019. Hischier would be the logical choice to play with Meier and Andrighetto, but then who do you play with Corvi? Someone who can finish, so maybe Bertschy or Praplan? Or maybe try a Hofmann-Corvi-Kurashev line, although Corvi and Hofmann didn't work too well in 2018 and at the Olympics. An Ambühl-Vermin-Rod 4th line would be intriguing too.
As always..... In Rod we trust.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

Bertaggia, Walser, Heldner and Loeffel should be the cuts. If you want to keep Walser as a natural center you could also cut Mottet who is unproven internationally, somewhat undersized and not exactly young anymore from a hockey perspective. If Fischer wants to keep Loeffel for the PP (wich he shouldn't) he should cut Untersander because of his injury history. Geisser is part of the future of the national team and made big strides in his development this year and should therefore remain on the roster in my oppinion.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can I ask a question about what languages you guys communicate in. I saw a tweet above in German, but I know some Swiss first language is French or Italian. Do all Swiss speak those three languages? What language would this team communicate in?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Most Swiss persons are unilingual, and more likely to speak English than another national language. I speak French, and my company has an office in German speaking Switzerland and we communicate in English (I work in tech where everyone is expected to speak it to some degree).

Looking at the current roster, I count 21 German speakers, 7 French speakers, 3 Italian speakers plus Scherwey who's French/German bilingual. Then many of these players learned another language (or even both other languages) when they played for teams outside their home area. Plus they all speak English as all teams in the league have foreign coaches or import players who don't speak the local language.

Now to answer your question, I assume German is the most spoken language within the team. Of all players, only Loeffel, Mottet, Rod and Fora have never played for German speaking teams, though they might have picked at least some basics from school and in the youth national teams. Plus the coach speaks German natively, fluent Italian and English thanks to his playing and coaching career, and decent French (not sure where he picked it, might just remember it from school).

Last edited:
Reactions: iginlafan77

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015
I was looking at the roster and noticed player named Janis Moser. Is Janis a common name in Switzerland?

Last edited:

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015
Yes it is!

For example, In my team (I am a floorball coach -kind of hockey) there are 3 Janis in the team...

Yeah I know what is floorball used to play it 10 years ago very seriously, but back to the main point it's interesting, because I have never heard that name traveling around especially in Germany/Switzerland/Austria (that area). Janis in Latvia is very common name (well it's Jānis correctly, but whatever). So that's why I asked.

Isnt that John in English?

Yes it kind a is true, as you can see my nickname is literally translated in English from Janis (my name) to John.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Isn't John "Hans" in German or "Jean" in French?

Exactly, John is Hans. But then again, Hans or Hannes are just short mutuations formed out of the origin name Johannes, from which I assume 'Janis' was also created.

Janis is not nearly as popular as Hans and a very young name as well. Jan or Yannik are the more common ones.

Reactions: Speyer

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I like the team, hopefully Nico doesn't risk something by attending. Good attitude though!

On D, I'm not very sold on both Siegenthaler and Mueller. All I've watched from them, they were the weak links in their teams defensively, nervously struggling for 60mins. Then again, the competition was the worlds best and I don't know how Loeffel would look in the NHL.. :/
But I hope the main responsibilities go to Diaz, Alatalo, Fora, Moser.

Just for fun a little line juggling:

Genoni
Berra

Alatalo - Diaz
Moser - Siegenthaler
Fora - Müller
Frick - Untersander
Loeffel

Meier-Hischier-Andrighetto
Praplan-Kurashev-Vermin
Corvi-Ambühl-Hoffmann
Scherwey-Bertschy-Herzog