WC: 2021 Switzerland roster talk

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I like the team, hopefully Nico doesn't risk something by attending. Good attitude though!

On D, I'm not very sold on both Siegenthaler and Mueller. All I've watched from them, they were the weak links in their teams defensively, nervously struggling for 60mins. Then again, the competition was the worlds best and I don't know how Loeffel would look in the NHL.. :/
But I hope the main responsibilities go to Diaz, Alatalo, Fora, Moser.

Only a few teams at the WC have rosters comparable to NHL teams though. For every team like Russia and the US you have teams like Great Britain and Denmark. Also the bigger ice surface should take the physical edge of the defensive game a bit and give our Dmen more time and space to make the right breakout play. I think Müller has shown in 2018 that he can be a good player on that level, even though this team had Josi on the roster who took a lot of key responsibilities back then. As for Siegentalhaler if have seen a few games of his this season mainly for New Jersey. In some he looked pretty bad, mainly under pressure, in some he looked fairly solid. Will be interesting to see if he can hold his own in this tournament. If he can't there is always the possiblity, as you said, to give the key minutes to the proven NLA players.

It is however a bit concerning to see our key players on defense getting older. With no top 4 Dmen in the NHL except Josi who turned 30 this year hopefully some young guys like Moser or the junior player Bichsel will make the jump to across the pond in the next few years...

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There are quite some defensive hopes, though. Karrer, Berni, Geisser, Egli beside Moser. You could also name Le Coultre, Aebischer which are promising on a little bit lower level. Müller and Siegenthaler are also quite young. Diaz needed his time to get dominant in the NLA (with 23/24), so there is some time. But we won't have another Josi each year, that's clear.

Edit:
By the way, on blick.ch they write that the contact between Janis Moser and some NHL-organisations (especially the Coyotes) has intensified. He's still not very heavy (185cm, 78kg) but I still think someone should take the risk and draft him. If you can get him in the 6th or 7th round, I don't think there are many players with a higher potential available in that round.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I really like Egli but him making the NHL is extremely unlikely.. He would be the smallest D in the league by like 2 cm, wouldn't he.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
There are quite some defensive hopes, though. Karrer, Berni, Geisser, Egli beside Moser. You could also name Le Coultre, Aebischer which are promising on a little bit lower level. Müller and Siegenthaler are also quite young. Diaz needed his time to get dominant in the NLA (with 23/24), so there is some time. But we won't have another Josi each year, that's clear.

Edit:
By the way, on blick.ch they write that the contact between Janis Moser and some NHL-organisations (especially the Coyotes) has intensified. He's still not very heavy (185cm, 78kg) but I still think someone should take the risk and draft him. If you can get him in the 6th or 7th round, I don't think there are many players with a higher potential available in that round.

Out of the ones you mentioned I see only NHL upside in Moser and Geisser right now. Berni seems to have stagnated in the last few years and needs a big developmental jump to put himself back in the conversation and Egli doesn't have enough size. Guys like Diaz and Streit wo improve well into their late twenties are also somewhat the exception of the rule as most players won't have developmental curve like that.

I also would't argue that we have no talented young defensemen at all in Switzerland, as the NLA depth in that regard is pretty decent as you pointed out. But the lack of exceptional dmen born later than 1990 should be a concern for the future of the National Team, as players like that usually determine if a team can go on a run for a medal. Maybe Moser will be able to fill that void a bit in the near future, time will tell.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Berni has an NHL-upside, too, in my opinion. Karrer has progressed strongly this season, we'll see where it goes.

Lineup for today:

Berra (Nyffeler)
Geisser - Diaz
Hofmann - Corvi - Simion

Alatalo - Loeffel
Andrighetto - Bertschy - Praplan

Müller - Egli
Herzog - Ambühl - Mottet

Frick - Fora
Scherwey - Vermin - Rod

I could imagine that the last forward-line could look the same in the tournament.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Good performance today, although some players needs to be more careful with the puck sometimes, especially the defensemen. I like what I saw from Geisser, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team. Mottet made a good case for himself considering he's among the borderline players, and Vermin and Rod showed that they can form a 4th line with some offensive potential, I agree with Jonas that it could be a line at the WC. The only players I would have liked to see show more are Praplan and Egli.

And random thought: it's nice to see a TV channel showing penalty time and not that stupid PP time.

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015
Good performance today, although some players needs to be more careful with the puck sometimes, especially the defensemen. I like what I saw from Geisser, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team. Mottet made a good case for himself considering he's among the borderline players, and Vermin and Rod showed that they can form a 4th line with some offensive potential, I agree with Jonas that it could be a line at the WC. The only players I would have liked to see show more are Praplan and Egli.

And random thought: it's nice to see a TV channel showing penalty time and not that stupid PP time.

Swiss TV chanell which showed the game likely used the Latvian feed right?

Was the picture bad also for yall then right? That was awful experience to watch, we are in 2021 and National television can't get HD cameras.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, really solid game from Swiss. Other than a few chances off the rush Latvia couldn't do anything.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, Geisser was really good. He also fits very well with Diaz. Frick had some bad plays but overall none of the D-men played bad. Egli was solid but he probably would need to show more if he wants to make the team. Loeffel showed how much his defensive game progressed in the last year. Tough choice for Fischer.

Going forward, Praplan just isn't the Praplan he was before he left for NA. I don't think he'll get sent home but he could well be out of the lineup. His strenght is his versality. He could play on an offensive minded line and be dangerous with the right linemates but he also could play in a defensive line and on the boxplay. Scherwey is also a player who has not the shape of the last two WC. Nothing serious but not the same speed and grit and some sloppy plays. Herzog was good.

I don't know if Hischier, Meier, Kurashew and Siegenthaler will play tomorrow. And if he plays those who really don't have a shot like Heldner and Bertaggia.

Yeah, the feed was not very good. Also the sound seemed strange.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'll anwer my question myself. :)

NHL-players won't play today and those who couldn't play yesterday will play today.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Today's lineup:

Genoni (Nyffeler)

Geisser - Alatalo
Moser - Untersander
Müller - Fora
Frick - Heldner

Hofmann - Corvi - Simion
Scherwey - Bertschy - Praplan
Mottet - Walser - Ambühl
Bertaggia - Vermin - Rod

Not dressed: Berra, Loeffel, Diaz, Herzog, Andrighetto

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
First of all, no punishment is harsh enough for whoever came up with the idea of power breaks.

Not as good as yesterday, though Latvia deserves credit for playing way better. Special teams were good.

I'm not sure if Fischer wants to go with 9 or 10 defensemen, but if it's 10, neither Bertaggia nor Walser did enough to take someone else's spot. If only one is cut, I thought Bertaggia was a bit more noticeable, but Walser is a center, so I'm really not sure.

Regarding the defense, Heldner was fine but didn't do enough to jump ahead of another player. Geisser I thought secured his spot, he had a great game. On the other hand I'm definitely not a big fan of Untersander, he really sticks out with his lack of speed, and if it's between him and Loeffel I'd take Loeffel every time. But he got ice time in PP and in OT, so I guess Fischer thinks otherwise.

EDIT: I forgot about Egli. I guess he's a safe bet to be cut, so him, Heldner, and one of Bertiaggia/Walser. Not sure if the last one will be the other forward or a defenseman.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Today's lineup:

Genoni (Nyffeler)

Geisser - Alatalo
Moser - Untersander
Müller - Fora
Frick - Heldner

Hofmann - Corvi - Simion
Scherwey - Bertschy - Praplan
Mottet - Walser - Ambühl
Bertaggia - Vermin - Rod

Not dressed: Berra, Loeffel, Diaz, Herzog, Andrighetto
Any idea what the final team will be? I think you guys have some really good NHL guys coming?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
4 players should be cut today or tomorrow. Hischier, Meier, Kurashev and Siegenthaler will join from the NHL.

I would expect an Andrighetto - Hischier - Meier line, then I could see Hofmann - Corvi - Simion and Scherwey - Vermin - Rod kept together from the two Latvia games. That would leave Kurashev with Bertschy, and one of Ambühl, Herzog or Praplan.

Pretty good team all things considered, no notable player missing from the Swiss league apart from Malgin who Toronto didn't release for some reason. Too bad Josi couldn't be available.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fischer said after the game he's pretty clear on lines. And with Hofmann - Corvi - Simion working that good in those two games I think they'll stick together for the first game. The Andrighetto - Hischier - Meier line looks obvious, too, also the 4th line, altough as I said before I think Scherwey is not in his best shape. I'd guess that Kurashwev plays with Bertschy and Ambühl.

For cuts, I'd expect Bertaggia, Walser, Heldner and Untersander.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Forwards I was right, Defenders not.

Walser, Bertaggia, Egli and Fora are cut.

First WC for:

Nyffeler

Alatalo
Geisser
Heldner
(sort of) Siegenthaler (he was part of the team three years ago but didn't play)

Simion
Mottet

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Weird cuts on D in my opinion. Did Egli and Fora stand out negatively in the preparation games? I would normally take both over Heldner any day of the week and Untersander isn't quite the player he used to be before his injury problems eihter...

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
IMHO no-one stood out negatively, which makes it so tough. I can understand Egli, he's very small and there are enough other players who can play his role probably as good or even better. Heldner over Fora I don't get.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Egli makes sense, with Diaz, Alatalo, Loeffel and Untersander there are enough players who can create offense. Fora maybe didn't play as well as he could during these four games, but I'd still have taken him given Heldner's lack of mobility and how clumsy he is with the puck.

I'm really not sure what to expect for the lineup. Geisser with one of Diaz or Alatalo, and Siegenthaler with the other. Then mabye Moser with Untersander and Frick with Müller?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Looking at some other teams roster it seems a lot of the best possible NHL players are not reporting this year. This kinda puts our roster in perspective a little bit since "only" Suter is missing from the players that should be available. Will be interesting to see if this team can do some damage against the weakened top nations.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Swiss should be favorites to be at least 4th in the group, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they beat a bigger nation and got better positioning. This is one of the most wide open tournaments in a while.

Reactions: Czechboy

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Looking at some other teams roster it seems a lot of the best possible NHL players are not reporting this year. This kinda puts our roster in perspective a little bit since "only" Suter is missing from the players that should be available. Will be interesting to see if this team can do some damage against the weakened top nations.

Swiss should definitely do well in this tournament. You have couple of the best players participating this year (Hischier, Meier) and the core of players playing in Europe is great. Berra and Genoni are fine goaltenders and the defence looks fine to me even though it obviously would be better with Josi, but can't get everyone. I hope you can win the gold if my country doesn't. Switzerland has done so well in some recent tournaments that I just hope you can win it soon.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
The Swiss team looks really good this year and I feel that they are going to be very dangerous against any opponent this year. You've got a very interesting mix of players: experience in the net (Genoni, Berra), high-end forwards (Hischier, Meier), experienced leaders (Diaz, Ambühl), leading NLA contributors (Untersander, Hofmann, Andrighetto, Rod) and very disciplined grinders (Scherwey, Herzog, Simion). Despite notable omissions such as Josi and Niederreiter, this team will be a huge pain in the ass for everyone :laugh:

Best of luck you guys and who knows, maybe you'll even go all the way?!

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad