WC: 2021 Switzerland roster talk

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Tommy Albelin is probaly getting a beating right now in the locker room.
A well deserved beating!
I am not goin to be too catastrophic in how I judge the match, it has been a pretty bad trip, but hopefully not something shattering.
Putrid first period, Sweden came out strong while Switzer did not come out at all. After that it got a bit better, but sketchy goaltending, a general sloppiness, a bit of bad luck and some idiotic penalties did the rest.
Kurashev's line completely out of the game, Hischier and Ambühl very invisible, Meier mostly visible trying to kill himself checking random people.
The Corvi line always gave me the impression of being dangerous, keeping up the pressure and creating chances, but Hofmann (despite a pretty good match) lacked precision, while Corvi and Simion never shoot. Just shoot for f*** sake.
My biggest concern is the lack of finish and the not-exactly-super-speedy defence. Honest and well organized, but I saw hints of panic facing the swedish strong fore-check

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I just saw the first period.

The stats are better than the result. A combination of not a good game and also some bad luck.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Definitely, him Scherwey and Geisser are the most impressive players so far. Some still play under their potential though, most notable Andrighetto, Simion and Meier.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I didn't expect more from Simion though. He has his limits and he's mainly there because he's in great shape and has chemistry with Hofmann and Corvi. Skillwise he's not a top-line player for Switzerland.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Not that it really surprises me after the difficult season, but Hischier has not really been living up to his standards. Some poor decisions and his usual edge work isn't there, he always falls to the ground, don't know why..

Talking of edge work, Ambühl is still a joy to watch, what a player!! Could've 3 or 4 assists more if his passes through the slot had found a ready teammate.

I'm also impressed by Geisser, and Moser had some Josi-esque moments.
Hoffmann and Corvi playing with confidence are always capable to create something, very positive impressions so far!

For Meier I don't know, yes 4 goals but his overall play is quite average, especially speed wise.

Kurashev seems like the next Andrighetto and I mean that in a positive way. Remarkable skating and puckhandling.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Ambühl is a legend. Based on his style of play I expected him to become average in his early to mid 30's, and I couldn't have been more wrong.

Agree on Moser, very impressive so far, and Kurashev shows some nice things individually but I feel like he hasn't found his right spot in the lineup yet, no notable chemistry like with Hofmann and Martschini in 2019. Meier has been good around the net and along the board, but pretty useless in the build up play as he mostly randomly throws the puck to the net. Corvi shows too much self-confidence sometimes, but he always got away with it so far. And I guess that's what makes him so dangerous in the first place.

Bertschy is also a player that deserve a mention. Huge work rate and his line has been very consistent.

Reactions: swissexpert

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
Scherwey has been lucky, in two or three occasion a more strict ref would have given in some penalties, he is really pushing the limits and I hope he can take a step back because if we make the quarterfinals, stupid penalties will be the death of us

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Scherwey has been lucky, in two or three occasion a more strict ref would have given in some penalties, he is really pushing the limits and I hope he can take a step back because if we make the quarterfinals, stupid penalties will be the death of us

I'm more worried about Rod in that regard, Scherwey has been good at towing the line so far. He's no longer the Scherwey from 5 years ago.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I remember Bertschy at the WJC where he was captain and led by example. He already back then had a great attitude and fighting spirit. And now as he's progressed so much he probably even would have a shot at making an olympic roster with NHL-player. Just a player you can throw in in any situation, in any position and he's able to compete at highest level.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Scherwey grew a lot. It's true that he has been exploring how late he can hit people without getting a penalty but so far he has been doing that in a pretty smart way. Nothing obvious, nothing stupid, nothing reckless. Corvi/Hofmann and Bertschy/Scherwey so far are the one that played the most consistent, high level, hockey, including during that shitshow against Sweden.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I remember Bertschy at the WJC where he was captain and led by example. He already back then had a great attitude and fighting spirit. And now as he's progressed so much he probably even would have a shot at making an olympic roster with NHL-player. Just a player you can throw in in any situation, in any position and he's able to compete at highest level.

If the Olympics were today I think Bertschy would make it. Maybe not as a top 12 forward, but being able to play both center and wing, and both in an offensive or defensive role would get him the 13th or 14th spot.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
A few strange lineup decisions today, Rod replaces Mottet despite his antics against Sweden, Nyffeler replaces Genoni and the Frick-Heldner pair replaces Moser and Untersander. Still no Müller.

I get that it's easier to get points in the last two games, but this Russia team is more beatable than ever.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Müller must be battling an injury, I cannot see a reason why he should not play when he's healty.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Solid performance, now hopefully they can get 15 points and it will be enough for 2nd place.

Heldner suprisingly solid on defense I must say. Frick had a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde performance, so calm with the puck under pressure but easily beaten a few times, including on the first goal. Tough to decide what the best combinations are going forward. Berra looked a bit shaky at time too, not sure who I prefer in goal.

And maybe try Herzog with Corvi and Hofmann, Simion is just not up to the task.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I would put back Meier on Hischiers wing as Timos line has been the worst today. Its also not like Kurashev-Hischier-Ambühl have had very good chemistry the past two games except for the goal today wich was just a great play by Ambühl. 5 vs 5 scoring needs to get better no question about it. It wasn't a problem in every game but it was noticeable today, against the Swedes and Denmark. There is to much (often fruitless) playmaking and searching for the perfect shooting line going on in general. Hofmann and Meier are the only two players with a shot first mentality.

I would agree though that the defense has been quite good despite the absence of Müller and Moser. Especially Heldner was solid all around. Berra was ok but not amazing as he couldnt prevent any of the Russians high danger chances going in, even though the goals didnt look soft either. Will be interesting to see if Genoni can make a come back this tournament or Berra will stick as the starting goalie.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Meier's shot first mentality leads to many offensive zone presence dying with a puck randomly thrown at the net though.

The playmaking attempts are mostly good, even if Corvi makes it too complicated at time. We just need more presence around the net to help the puck in.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Meier's shot first mentality leads to many offensive zone presence dying with a puck randomly thrown at the net though.

The playmaking attempts are mostly good, even if Corvi makes it too complicated at time. We just need more presence around the net to help the puck in.

Its not that the puck movement is bad, its that we cant seem tho find the right moment to finish. Often they make the one passing play to many. Hischier is the best player around the net on this roster but plays Ambühl and Kurashev, so there are not many opportunities for deflections and rebounds on 5 vs. 5.

As for Meier: Its true that a more liberal shot selection has drawbacks as well, but Meier has four goals in the tournament including 2 game winning goals. I would say his approach has benefited the team far more than it hurt it so far in this tournament...

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The Hischier-line is a little bit worrying. Kurashev doesn't look like he's up to the challenge. Rod and Praplan also don't look like the real solution. Maybe try Herzog? But Herzog fits well with Scherwey and Bertschy. Try Mottet on Tuesday?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I don't put Praplan back on the Bertschy line. I'd like to see Herzog with Corvi and Ambühl, but he could be interesting with Hischier.

But then, what do you do with Kurashev?

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
The Hischier-line is a little bit worrying. Kurashev doesn't look like he's up to the challenge. Rod and Praplan also don't look like the real solution. Maybe try Herzog? But Herzog fits well with Scherwey and Bertschy. Try Mottet on Tuesday?

Himself looks worrying. Yes, he shows flashes of brilliance, but there are several shifts in a row where he is almost invisible.
Corvi and Hoffmann are having great chemistry. :)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Himself looks worrying. Yes, he shows flashes of brilliance, but there are several shifts in a row where he is almost invisible.
Corvi and Hoffmann are having great chemistry. :)

He has had a season from hell. I’m sure Swiss fans heard all about the broken leg. Then there was Covid and then a broken face requiring surgery. I doubt he’s in shape and whatever small tweak he got earlier in the tournament may be lingering a bit. He didn’t look himself this season for the most part. He needs a full and healthy offseason to train and rehab. For now you expect some inconsistency.

Reactions: pukovnik

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
He has had a season from hell. I’m sure Swiss fans heard all about the broken leg. Then there was Covid and then a broken face requiring surgery. I doubt he’s in shape and whatever small tweak he got earlier in the tournament may be lingering a bit. He didn’t look himself this season for the most part. He needs a full and healthy offseason to train and rehab. For now you expect some inconsistency.
This isn't about Lovejoy. What are you doing here? o_O

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad