WC: 2021 Switzerland roster talk

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
the leafs not giving Malgin clearance follows the same logic as the us owners of football clubs who were surprised that the fans in europe had no understanding of a super league and rejected it. They simply don't care that national teams and WC are relevant in europe, they don't care for anything else but their home market and proably China. But it's also understandable, since the majority of north american fans think the same way and have neither an interest in nor knowledge of anything outside the NHL (with the exception of the completely over-hyped juniors) and yes I know there are some north american fans where that doesn't apply but they're hardly anything close to a majority

That's true ! Unfortunaetly some euro journalists, like swiss Roost, are getting more and more poisoned by that mickey-mouse tournament. Just look at his twitts during WJC :(

Regarding WJC's "popularity", it's perfect example how strong media can be and how they can make pie out of s**t

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
That's true ! Unfortunaetly some euro journalists, like swiss Roost, are getting more and more poisoned by that mickey-mouse tournament. Just look at his twitts during WJC :(

Regarding WJC's "popularity", it's perfect example how strong media can be and how they can make pie out of s**t

I like the World Juniors, not as much as the World Championships of course but its can still be a fun tournament with entertaining hockey if Switzerland has a good team. I do blame TSN thogh for making it all about the NHL outlook of the players wich is pretty anoying...

Reactions: pukovnik

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Todays game vs. Italy has been cancelled because two players from Italy tested positive for COVID.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
And Fischer reduces his roster, Pestoni, Kreis and Van Pottelberghe have to leave.

Edit: According to watson: Kukan has to do surgery after season and won't be available. It seems possible that Suter and Siegenthaler join. Hischier, Meier and Kurashew seem commited to come.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Kreis and Pestoni make sense, but I'm surprised Fischer picked Nyffeler over van Pottelberghe. He didn't seem particularly better this season and probably has less potential for the future. Anyway, it's likely that Genoni, Berra and Schlegel will make the trip to Riga.

I was wondering if they'd keep a spot open for Malgin to join halfway through the tournament, but that article rules it out. I still have no idea why Toronto want him to play 12 games of the joke that is the current AHL season while he could have at least 11 at international level.

Kukan is a big setback, the defense is not as deep as the forward group. Hopefully Siegenthaler can make it, and Dallas can win some games again. If not, we're looking at Diaz and Alatalo as obvious additions, but not many defensive options. Geisser, Schlumpf and Karrer could be potential upgrades but they are unproven and won't be available against France. I wonder if Fischer plans to travel to Latvia with 15 forwards and 10 defensemen or 16 and 9?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I personally see more in Nyffeler and Van Pottelberghe than in Schlegel. Descloux also had a fantastic season until his injury.
The question is, are you running Berra and Genoni until they are retiring and then throw some of the young ones into very cold water or is there a possibility to help them get experience so they are ready when they need to.

I don't see it that weak on D. A lot of very proven D-men. I mean Fora, Frick, Diaz, Müller, Loeffel, Moser all already played good roles at WC. And Alatalo is surley ready for the challenge. Kukan is a setback and a proven NHL-defender but it will work without him. Josi of course would put the team to another level.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Schlegel had a great season, him and Descloux were the best NL goalies this season. And him and Nyffeler have the same age, so it's not like one has more future than the other. And ideally, the goalie of the future you want to give experience to is Descloux, but then van Pottelberghe is probably the best bet to be number one at some point.

Regarding the defense, the player material is ok, but a bit too much on the offensive side with Diaz, Alatalo, Moser, Loeffel and Untersander. Fora and Frick are fine, but not sure they can handle top 4 minutes against the best teams (remember that 3rd period against Canada in 2019 where only the Josi-Diaz pair could manage a breakout?). Müller of course is a huge addition in that regard, and Siegenthaler would help too, even though still unproven at the WC. And without Josi we're missing a true number one defender. That could end up like in 2017, good team, played great hockey, but just didn't have the player material to win an elimination game.

We could be looking at this:

Diaz - Müller
Alatalo - Siegenthaler
Moser - Fora
Loeffel - Frick
Untersander

No bad player, but no margin for injuries to get results against the top teams, and many very offensive minded players. Kukan would add both depth and balance.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
No game also on Friday as France played Italy last Weekend and they don't want to risk anything. Sunday should be possible if France stays negative.

Bad luck, those games would have been important.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Only 4 games before the tournament (assuming everything goes well next week), this can't be good :p

I guess we'll see some cuts based on practice only. It might be pretty soon if Zug can close the deal tonight. Anyone think Geisser, Schlumpf or Karrer can get a spot?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'm a fan of Karrer for quite some time, he's a smart player, not really physical. A little bit like Diaz. He and Geisser would be an upgrade over Heldner and Glauser but with the amount of "verterans" available and players like Egli and Alatalo knocking on the door I don' think Fischer will call them. Especially after he didn't call Lehmann or Eggenberger or Prassl or Berni.

Edit:

Timo Meier confirms he'll play.

Timo Meier to play for Switzerland at World Championship

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Geisser and Karrer are probably ahead of Berni in their development though, it's not exactly the same situation. Fischer is not afraid to take new players, and it's not like Glauser and Heldner have a huge international experience.

Lehmann, Eggenberger and Prassl are in a different situation, the depth is better on the wing. I guess they could have had a chance in a normal season with a 4 week training camp.

And I wonder if Richard will get a call. With Heim and Walser still on the roster, Corvi not playing that well against Russia, and Vermin the only obvious upgrade at center still in the playoffs, it would make sense.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Richard should be an option, indeed. An upgrade to Walser an Heim for sure.

Hischier also confirmed that he's going to play. Add Kurashev and maybe Siegenthaler and we'll have a pretty decent team.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Of course, but Fischer can't just travel to Latvia with only 3 centers assuming that Hischier and Kurashev will join, injuries can happen. On the other hand, there's still Bertschy and Ambühl that can play center.

So, the season is over now. If no one is injured, Diaz, Alatalo, Hofmann, Vermin, Rod and Genoni should be added, then I'm not sure. Simion could be a better option than Fazzini or Mottet, Richard than Heim or Walser, and I'd take Geisser, Schlumpf and Karrer over Heldner and Glauser.

That would be 4 goalies, 15 defensemen and 18 forwards. Assuming Fischer goes with 9 defensemen and 16 forwards, that would leave just two forwards to cut (probably between Fazzini, Mottet, Heim and Walser), and 5 defensemen. Glauser and Heldner are the most likely, then I'm not a big fan of Marti. If Diaz and Alatalo join, I could see one of Untersander or Loeffel being cut.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Cannot follow your forward-counting.

Currently there are 14 forwards. Add Hischier, Meier, Kurashev, Hofmann, Vermin and Rod we have 20. Which would lead to 4 cuts.

I think on D we have Diaz, Alatalo, Müller, Frick, Fora, and Moser set. Remain 3 open spots which I'd give to Untersander, Egli and Loeffel. Or Geisser instead of Egli. If Siegenthlaer also joins there are only two spots, I'd take one "veteran" and a younger one, so Geisser or Egli and Untersander or Loeffel.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I count 13 forwards right now (did you count Pestoni?), plus Hofmann, Vermin and Rod. NHL players won't join before the team travels to Latvia.

I agree about the set Ds. Untersander, Egli and Loeffel would be a bit unbalanced towards the offense side, but on the other hand I like them better than Glauser, Heldner and Marti. That's why I'd like to see Geisser, Karrer or Schlumpf.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Ah, I see. Yeah, I counted Pestoni.

I guess we'll see on Sunday. There are some direct Charter flights from NA to Latvia. I guess Swiss players will join the team directly there.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Devils' last game is on Tuesday, Sharks' on Thursday and Blackhawks' on Tuesday. The team meets again on Tuesday, so I guess Fischer will want a full roster of 28 players in case Hischier, Kurashev or Siegenthaler can't join. Then maybe there'll be more cuts just before the flight on Thursday.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So the Stars keep the Josi-hope alive.

Preds 60 Pts
Stars 58 Pts

Preds play twice Carolina, Stars twice Chicago. It's not impossible. Maybe Nino can Fischer do a favour and score a few goals. :)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Schlegel, Marti, Glauser, Fuchs, Fazzini and Heim cut, so 2 goalies, 8 defensemen and 10 forwards left.

I'm surprised Fischer took Nyffeler over both Schlegel and van Pottelberghe, but that confirms that Genoni is in. Glauser makes sense, then I guess it was between Marti and Heldner. I hope that Moser, Loeffel and Untersander still being in doesn't mean that one of Diaz or Alatalo is not available. Fuchs is the most surprising cut among forwards, but if him and Heim are both out it probably means that Vermin and Richard will be added. I would have liked to see Fazzini against lesser opposition, and I think his shot makes him more intriguing than Mottet, but on the other hand we saw his limits against Russia so not a surprising decision.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, Fuchs is a little bit surprising. He had solid games.
The rest is more or less expected. We should get the nominations from Servette and Zug tomorrow.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
So the Stars keep the Josi-hope alive.

Preds 60 Pts
Stars 58 Pts

Preds play twice Carolina, Stars twice Chicago. It's not impossible. Maybe Nino can Fischer do a favour and score a few goals. :)

Which actually is not good from Swiss (Josi) prespective, as Canes secured division title and could ease a little bit in those games :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->