WC: 2021 Switzerland roster talk

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I meant, in the sense of who should play against Italy already and who should get some rest. Berni and Prassl are not ready, but it could be an opportunity to see them. I think Fischer knows Schäppi well enough to afford not looking at him against Italy, he can get his chance against France. It will also depend if guys like Scherwey or Ambühl get a spot on the 2nd or 3rd line, then he would probably get a 4th line spot. Geering and Hollenstein are both possible but no lock, so getting a good look at them and trying to find them a spot in the lineup makes sense. I would give Andrighetto some rest and only call him for the France games.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I couldn't find anything about Müller, not in any report, not on twitter or social media. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I'm pretty sure if he'd have opted out because of contract situation or injury risk there would have been some communication on that.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
A solid first game, Schlegel was good and made the right saves.

Janis Moser is probably the only player from this roster who can already pack his bag for Latvia. I still wonder why he wasn't drafted. Beside Kreis and Glauser I could see all D-men getting a spot. Heldner had a very good game.

On Offense there is still a lot of competition around. Corvi had not a good game, Fazzini and Pestoni made some good plays but their skating is still an issue. Scherwey and Bertschy are probably set, Praplan depends on who is joining from Overseas. Mottet scored a goal and draw a penalty, beside that he was pretty invisible. Ambühl is Ambühl, 37 and looks like 20. Bertaggia, Walser and Heim are probably not in consideration for a spot.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Agree on Kreis and Glauser, but I thought that Heldner was often overwhelmed by the speed of the game. He didn't look good on Russia's goal. Strong game by Loeffel too on defense.

Most of the forwards can do better I think. I was intrigued by the Corvi-Fazzini combination, but even though Fazzini reached a new level this season it looks like international hockey is still too fast for him. Pestoni didn't do much either, and was lucky to score, he should have one timed that puck in. I thought Corvi had a few interesting plays, but lacked consistency. Scherwey could bring more energy, he wasn't his usual self either. I'd say that Ambühl, Fuchs and Bertschy stood out the most in this game, and to a lesser extent Praplan. Heim and Walser will be cut as soon as there are more centers available, which could happen soon with Malgin and Schäppi. Then there's Vermin, Hischier and Kurashev.

RAlfie35

Apr 8, 2019
Obviously the two biggest prizes for Switzerland would be Nico Hischier and Timo Meier. I believe it's unlikely Hischier will go. He battled injuries pretty much all season and the Devils may opt to have him rest. Meier is more likely IMO. The other 3 would be Dean Kukan, Pius Suter and Philipp Kurashev. I'm sure the Swiss are praying that Dallas catches Nashville and Josi becomes available.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I hope that Hischier has the feeling he hasn't played enough hockey yet. I mean he probably had enough rest this season. ;)
I don't know how well everything is healed.

Pius Suter is out of contract, it's quite possible that he opts out because of that, he had a good season and he maybe doesn't want to risk what he achieved.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Same lineup today. I would have liked to see Corvi with different wingers, and Ambühl and Herzog with a more offensive center.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I hope that Hischier has the feeling he hasn't played enough hockey yet. I mean he probably had enough rest this season. ;)
I don't know how well everything is healed.

Pius Suter is out of contract, it's quite possible that he opts out because of that, he had a good season and he maybe doesn't want to risk what he achieved.

Hischier is Captain of the Devils now and should be able to do as he pleases. I also think getting in some more games might be in the Devils best interest as it could advance his somewhat stagnating development as a player. Unless Suter gets a contract done before the tournament starts, he will probably not report. Kurashev is probably 50/50 depending if the Blackhawks will let him go. I think he could also profit from the tournament for developmental reasons...

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Hischier, Meier, Kukan and Kurashev would be nice additions. If the Preds are not in the playoffs of course Josi. Sbisa also seems in consideration, at least Fischer said this in an interview.

Edit: Still hope for Malgin, by the way.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Where did you see that interview?

And no idea what the deal is with Malgin, Toronto has had one week to give their OK. And they didn't care enough about him to play him.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

And no idea what the deal is with Malgin, Toronto has had one week to give their OK. And they didn't care enough about him to play him.

According to EP he is rumored to be recalled by Laffs.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010

Ein 100 Millionen-Job aus der NHL? Patrick Fischer: «Würde mich nicht interessieren»

Beschäftigen wir uns mit dem Personal: Ist Luca Sbisa eigentlich für eine WM noch ein Thema?
Bisher war er entweder verletzt oder in den Playoffs. Wir stehen regelmässig in Kontakt. Er will an die WM und er wird die Chance bekommen, um einen Platz zu kämpfen, wenn er gesund und verfügbar ist.
Translation: If he's healthy and available he'll get his chance. Don't know what his health situation is at the moment tough.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
A Zaugg article, that explains why I didn't see it :D

And today's game wasn't as good as yesterday's I thought. Neither team could create as much as during the first game, and Russia didn't play its first line.

Still, good defensive performance, and the PK was pretty good. As far as individual players are concerned, on defense Kreis and Glauser should be the first cuts, the other played well again. Regarding the forwards, Fazzini, Pestoni and Monnet are definitely not quick enough for that level, and Walser and Bertaggia were pretty much invisible. Corvi was disappointing too. On the other hand, good game by the Bertschy line.

Reactions: Jon Riley

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Mottet, not Monnet. :D

I agree on all, Kreis had a good game though. I can see Geeering and Berni replacing those two.

On offence we'll see Andrighetto, probably Hollenstein and maybe Prassl joining. I don't know if he'd call players from Rapperswil, but Egli and Lehmann would be the only really interesting guys from there.

Malgin seems to be in Toronto, so I guess the rumours are true.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Hischier, Meier, Kukan and Kurashev would be nice additions. If the Preds are not in the playoffs of course Josi. Sbisa also seems in consideration, at least Fischer said this in an interview.

Edit: Still hope for Malgin, by the way.
Hischier would be huge addition. Would give a no.1 C that other nations in the group could not offer at the same level.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
That would be an evil backstab by the blue plants.

Mottet, obviously. I'd take Berni and Geering and cut Glauser and Kreis, and maybe one of Marti or Baltisberger instead of Heldner, although I'm no fan of those 3. Andrighetto and Hollenstein should replace two of Fazzini, Pestoni and Mottet, and Schäppi should take Walser's spot. Regarding Rapperswil players, Egli could be worth a look but the players I'd cut don't exactly have the same skillset. With Loeffel, Moser and Untersander already in the team, plus Diaz, Alatalo and maybe Josi I can't see any space for him. Lehmann could be an upgrade over Bertaggia. Maybe Eggenberger too.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I also thought about Eggenberger, he's the type of player we're missing with Nino and Moser not there. And he really found his game in Rapperswil. No question that he has potential. Don't know if he's ready but he could be worth a look, too.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yeah, having Pestoni and Fuchs playing in front of the net on the PP was not ideal, and Eggenberger showed some nice scoring touch in the playoffs. And apart from Meier, I'm not sure who could play that position among the players left. Vermin?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Good news about Müller.

It makes complete sense, with the tournament and the playoffs starting pretty much at the same time and a probable quarantine period for player flying to Latvia, at best you're looking for reinforcements for the quarterfinals, and only from teams that are swept. You might as well go for a full roster right away.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Puh, that's disappointing, Mr. Fischer.

Added:
Mirco Müller, Dominik Egli, Melvin Nyffeler, Christian Marti, Sven Andrighetto.

Edit:
Denis Hollenstein is injured, that's why he's not on the list.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Strange, there must be some injury issues we're not aware of. Disappointing that none of Berni, Lehmann and Eggenberger didn't make it but in the end they probably wouldn't have made the final team (though you never know, see Moser two years ago). More surprised about Geering and Schäppi given who's left on the roster.

Edit: It's official, Malgin won't join. Wanna bet they won't even play him?

Last edited:

swissdude

May 18, 2019
the leafs not giving Malgin clearance follows the same logic as the us owners of football clubs who were surprised that the fans in europe had no understanding of a super league and rejected it. They simply don't care that national teams and WC are relevant in europe, they don't care for anything else but their home market and proably China. But it's also understandable, since the majority of north american fans think the same way and have neither an interest in nor knowledge of anything outside the NHL (with the exception of the completely over-hyped juniors) and yes I know there are some north american fans where that doesn't apply but they're hardly anything close to a majority

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad