WJC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Been injured for a few weeks, foot injury. Last thing I could find was this before Frölundas last game.
https://rakapuckar.com/blog/gQPrqLqVZMjNYbM

There's a chance he could return the next few days, an earlier post on that blog said he was a maybe for this saturday, but will they pick him if he hasn't played since the 24th of october(according to the SHL site) and his return date is up in the air?

Edit: a likely won't play would have been more accurate t o be fair.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Been injured for a few weeks, foot injury. Last thing I could find was this before Frölundas last game.

There's a chance he could return the next few days, an earlier post on that blog said he was a maybe for this saturday, but will they pick him if he hasn't played since the 24th of october(according to the SHL site) and his return date is up in the air?

Sounds like he's close to returning. Can't really see him not making this team if healthy.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Sounds like he's close to returning. Can't really see him not making this team if healthy.
According to the blog he wasn't even back on the ice the other day and in today's post he writes something along the lines his foot has to get better sooner or later right. Don't know, doesn't sound great, they're picking the roster tomorrow, camp starts the 7th and they leave for Edmonton the 13th. I hope he ends up playing, think this tournament could be a real coming out party for him if healthy and in form, but doesn't sound great. Maybe they give him a spot in camp and see if he can get healthy enough. But with just eleven days left until they fly over time is running out.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Camp roster:

Forwards:
Karl Henriksson
Alexander Holtz
Lucas Raymond
Simon Holmström
Arvid Costmar
Emil Heineman
Albin Sundsvik
Elmer Söderblom
Isac Andersson
Noel Gunler
William Eklund
Zion Nybeck
Theodor Niederbach
Albin Grewe
Daniel Ljungman
Oskar Olausson
Simon Robertsson
Jonathan Wikström

Defensemen:
Philip Broberg
Tobias Björnfot
Victor Söderström
Albert Johansson
Helge Grans
William Wallinder
Emil Andrae
Ludvig Hedström
Gustav Berglund
Alex Brännstam
Viktor Persson
Simon Edvinsson

Goalies:
Hugo Alnefelt
Calle Clang
Jesper Wallstedt
Hannes Kollén

Reactions: Ginger Papa

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I read somewhere today that Frolundas doctors have cleared him to play now. I think Sweden is fairly high on him, maybe they like his size to add a different element? But if hes cleared to play, I dont think not getting much game action lately will impact that decision

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
For those who are able to watch, any scouting reports on Persson vs the guys he is up against for the 6-8D spots? Thoughts on what his chances are?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
For those who are able to watch, any scouting reports on Persson vs the guys he is up against for the 6-8D spots? Thoughts on what his chances are?
Andrae, Wallinder, & Edvinsson should get the 6-8D spots. Persson's chanses are very, very slim.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Sounds a lot like we will see Eklund on the wing. Pretty sure Montén will go with a Raymond-Henriksson-Holtz top line after listening to this.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Sounds a lot like we will see Eklund on the wing. Pretty sure Montén will go with a Raymond-Henriksson-Holtz top line after listening to this.

I really dislike how he says that Eklund's play elevated when he was put on the wing when he has nothing to base that on. Something he'd more than likely say about Pettersson too.

Him also not calling a center core of Henriksson, Niederbach, Costmar, & Sundsvik thin is so Montén too.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The World Juniors Coaches Q&A Series: Team Sweden’s Tomas Montén

Another interview with Montén(some things he brings up are straight up false, but that's Montén for you. Like he says Eklund has played some PK in the SHL). Going off what he has said this sounds like his plan going into camp with some potential swaps amongst the ones that are already there in the middle-6:

Raymond - Henriksson - Holtz
Eklund - Niederbach - Holmström
Heineman - Costmar - Gunler
Grewe - Sundsvik - Söderblom

Broberg - Söderström
Björnfot - Johansson
Andrae - Grans

Alnefelt
Wallstedt

Obviously there's some changes everybody would do(me included), but yeah.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
If Heineman and Soderblom is injured imo>

Raymond - Henriksson - Holtz
Nybeck - Eklund - Gunler
Olausson - Niederbach - Holmström
Grewe - Sundsvik - Robertsson
Costmar

Broberg - Söderström
Björnfot - Johansson
Andrae - Grans
Wallinder

Alnefelt
Wallstedt
Clang

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
William Eklund is removed from the squad even before the pre-camp has started.
He tested positive for Covid one day later than WJC tournament rules allows players to test positive.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Is it WJC rules or Canadian rules? Can't he just fly in later if he tests negative next couple of days???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad