WJC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I really dislike how he says that Eklund's play elevated when he was put on the wing when he has nothing to base that on. Something he'd more than likely say about Pettersson too.

Him also not calling a center core of Henriksson, Niederbach, Costmar, & Sundsvik thin is so Montén too.

I didn't like the way he described Niedererbach as a "pure offensive player who's either in a top 6 role or not on the team". Swedish hockey truly hates skilled centers. Be prepared.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Seems like Grewe is injured aswell. Dont forget we are playing against Canada in a pre-game. We will get a couple of players injured in that game for sure. We will have to battle Austria to avoid relegation.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Karl henriksson to miss the tournament because of corona

Just cancel the tournament at this point

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I didn't like the way he described Niedererbach as a "pure offensive player who's either in a top 6 role or not on the team". Swedish hockey truly hates skilled centers. Be prepared.
Well, that's Montén for you. Can a center produce? He's a pure offensive player. :laugh: And, uh, he must be 100% on the team now... Lets hope he doesn't also test positive or get injured.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Well at this point Raymond is a center. Fully expect all Frölunda boys to also test positive though. Lagen om alltings....

Strange decision to select the team just days before camp. These players should have been prepared to semi quarantine. Could have prevented this. Eklund missing the tournament because his test result arrived one day late is just..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Well at this point Raymond is a center. Fully expect all Frölunda boys to also test positive though. Lagen om alltings....

Strange decision to select the team just days before camp. These players should have been prepared to semi quarantine. Could have prevented this. Eklund missing the tournament because the test result came in one day late is just..

Well, both Eklund and Henriksson was probably 100% certain they would get invited, so I don't think knowing in advance would have made a difference.

And yeah given how infectious covid has shown to be during hockey-games, I think it's safe to assume that Frölunda won't be playing games for a few weeks and that Raymond and Neiderbach are infected as well.

Would be fun to see Raymond as a center though, Montén has said that he is a backup center, given that both Eklund and Henriksson are out I do think it´s a high probability of that happening (assuming he is healthy).

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Well, both Eklund and Henriksson was probably 100% certain they would get invited, so I don't think knowing in advance would have made a difference.

And yeah given how infectious covid has shown to be during hockey-games, I think it's safe to assume that Frölunda won't be playing games for a few weeks and that Raymond and Neiderbach are infected as well.

Would be fun to see Raymond as a center though, Montén has said that he is a backup center, given that both Eklund and Henriksson are out I do think it´s a high probability of that happening.
Hmm, Djurgården didn't shut down after Eklund got covid, so maybe maybe not.

If Raymond is healthy, I still think Montén will go with Costmar+Niederbach as the top 2 centers, and only if one of those go down he'll think about Raymond playing at C.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
:laugh:

So...

Raymond - Holmstrom - Holtz
Nybeck - Niederbach - Gunler
Olausson - Costmar - Kvist
Wikstrom - Sundsvik - Robertsson
Bjerselius

:mad:

Broberg - Söderström
Björnfot - Johansson
Andrae - Grans
Wallinder

Alnefelt
Wallstedt
Clang

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Team Sweden will still be much better than most teams on paper. And were all in the same boat, plus everyone is craving hockey right now.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Hmm, Djurgården didn't shut down after Eklund got covid, so maybe maybe not.

If Raymond is healthy, I still think Montén will go with Costmar+Niederbach as the top 2 centers, and only if one of those go down he'll think about Raymond playing at C.

It's all about luck...
Frölunda has had both Lundqvist and Mursak out with Covid without infecting the team, but they started to feel ill during a planned pause in the schedule, and could therefore avoid seeing any players until they were healthy. This time Frölunda played a game just prior to Henriksson getting diagnosed, highly likely he was sick already during the game.

As for Djurgården... didn't they have a lot of Covid cases recently? As well as prior to the season. Wouldn't surprise me if most of Djurgårdens players are protected at the moment.

We will now for sure soon anyway :)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Sweden should just invite a younger talented center, their most talented 02/03 center for future tournament experience , someone like Dower Nilsson

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sweden is the unlucky victim of these archaic rules. If the rules in a country are so archaic, why are we hosting the WJC there? If you want to make someone wait 10-14 days, I disagree, but I see the reasoning. This, I do not. We are nearly three weeks from the tournament. To not allow someone who will be one of the only players we are sure does not have COVID to play in the tournament is ridiculous.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t even think it’s about nationalities here. If a country doesn’t want to put in place rules that aren’t going to make it exceptionally difficult in these times for teams to have their full teams available, they should’ve forfeited their right to host.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ukrleaf

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I don’t even think it’s about nationalities here. If a country doesn’t want to put in place rules that aren’t going to make it exceptionally difficult in these times for teams to have their full teams available, they should’ve forfeited their right to host.
As was mentioned in another thread, basically your two choices for this tournament to take place at all were Canada or Russia. Every other country would have just cancelled it. Be grateful we’re going to get to see hockey at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The big bad evil Canadians not wanting people Covid positive traveling across the border. The absolute horror.

You completely missed the point. These players will not be positive for COVID by the time the tournament starts. If we know that, why would they have to go through this archaic process?

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
You completely missed the point. These players will not be positive for COVID by the time the tournament starts. If we know that, why would they have to go through this archaic process?
Because they're currently positive, and will not be cleared the potential infectious period before the date to enter the bubble, which is December 13th.

Reactions: LFCTML and Hagstrom

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Teams should have been more cautious. Not sure why they didn't quarantine their players before now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad