WJC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Probably 7th D if selected for the team. He's got some shut down abilities we could use on the 3rd pair.

Just kidding, he's our best D-man along with Söderström. Will get a ton of minutes + both special teams.
You actually had me going there. I was like “Is there a second Broberg?” :laugh:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
34 players? im giving it a shoot.

goalies, 4

Wallstedt
Alnefeldt
Clang
Ward

D, 10

Söderström
Broberg
A.Johansson
Wallinder
Björnfot
Andrae
Grans
Edvinsson
Anton Olsson
Berglund

f, 20

Raymond
Holtz
Henrikson
Eklund
Heniemen
Söderblom
Gunler
Holmström
Nybeck
Grewe
Olausson
Sundsvik
Costmar
Robertsson
Neiderbach
Wikström
Ekström
Kvist
Edmonds
Ljungkrantz

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Broberg is going to tear it up at this tournament playing in his future home arena.

Of course, please not against Canada :)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Broberg is going to tear it up at this tournament playing in his future home arena.

Of course, please not against Canada :)
I'm guessing Canada is not to worried with Drysdale and Byram on our back-end but I like Broberg and wish him the best of luck in the tournament.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Holtz and Raymond always been in the same line , but now Eklund and Holtz. Wondering if we have line Raymond-Eklund-Holtz
I hope so. Holtz and Eklund has to play together. But, mark my words, and watch Montén put together Raymond - Henriksson - Holtz come late december, because "that line has worked before."
But yes, that has to be the top line in my opinion. Henriksson is good, but Eklund is on a whole other level of talent.

Reactions: theslatcher

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I hope so. Holtz and Eklund has to play together. But, mark my words, and watch Montén put together Raymond - Henriksson - Holtz come late december, because "that line has worked before."
But yes, that has to be the top line in my opinion. Henriksson is good, but Eklund is on a whole other level of talent.
I can 100% see him putting Eklund in the bottom-6... Like he was about to do in Finnkampen just 3 weeks ago.

The 2002 age group is something special.

Reactions: Svanstrom

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Olausson is on fire. But monten is probaly not gonna pick him. Niederbach and Persson is playing good too.

Last edited:

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
I can 100% see him putting Eklund in the bottom-6... Like he was about to do in Finnkampen just 3 weeks ago.

The 2002 age group is something special.
Very true, and sad. A bottom 6 winger at that. From what I have seen so far I wouldn't be surprised if Eklund, in 5 years or so, is viewed as the superior player in NHL to Holtz and Raymond. To me he looks that good... and he should play center. But we know Montén's tendencies on what type of centers he preferres. However, Henriksson is not that type of center. I'm worried that Henriksson will fill Monténs quota for creative centers. Eklund - Holtz are more inseparable than Raymond - Holtz. The line with most potential is Holtz - Eklund - Raymond. He has to give that a try.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
The 13 forwards that I prefer for WJC:
Lucas Raymond
William Eklund (C)
Alexander Holtz
Noel Gunler
Travis Treloar (C)
Oskar Olausson
Theodor Niederbach (C)
Karl Henriksson (C)
Arvid Costmar (C)
Emil Heineman
Albin Sundsvik (C)
Albin Grewe
Simon Holmström

* Potential center are marked with (C)
* Elmer Söderblom should be considered due to his combination of size and skill, but he is injured.

Did I miss someone?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The 13 forwards that I prefer for WJC:
Lucas Raymond
William Eklund (C)
Alexander Holtz
Noel Gunler
Travis Treloar (C)
Oskar Olausson
Theodor Niederbach (C)
Karl Henriksson (C)
Arvid Costmar (C)
Emil Heineman
Albin Sundsvik (C)
Albin Grewe
Simon Holmström

* Potential center are marked with (C)
* Elmer Söderblom should be considered due to his combination of size and skill, but he is injured.

Did I miss someone?
Nybeck of course. :)

Shame that Torgersson, & Söderblom are injured, having either on a 4th line with Heineman, & Costmar would've been nice.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Nybeck of course. :)

Shame that Torgersson, & Söderblom are injured, having either on a 4th line with Heineman, & Costmar would've been nice.
Yeah I had not forgotten about him. I think he could potentially be a dominant force in a WJC tournament. In my head I was mostly comparing him with Olausson and Niederbach. For me it's hard to overlook Olausson right now. And I lean towards Niederbach because he seems more versatile, I also kinda would like to see him on a line with Henriksson. Even if I have my preferred top line, if Montén (for the sake of the argument) were to split Raymond and Holtz, the lines could look something like this:

Olausson - Eklund - Holtz
Raymond - Henriksson - Niederbach
Treloar - Sundsvik - Gunler
Heineman - Costmar - Holmström
Grewe

Reactions: Eye of Ra

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah I had not forgotten about him. I think he could potentially be a dominant force in a WJC tournament. In my head I was mostly comparing him with Olausson and Niederbach. For me it's hard to overlook Olausson right now. And I lean towards Niederbach because he seems more versatile, I also kinda would like to see him on a line with Henriksson. Even if I have my preferred top line, if Montén (for the sake of the argument) were to split Raymond and Holtz, the lines could look something like this:

Grewe
I view Niederbach as a center(and thankfully Montén seems to do too), my hope is that we'll have Eklund-Henriksson-Niederbach-Costmar in the middle, but Montén likes his offensively inept, defense-only guys at 3C sadly.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Anybody know when Sweden will officially announce their pre-tournament roster? And when their camp begins? I'd assume the announcement would be this coming week.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Grewe
Don’t forget the larger than usual roster that teams can bring out this year. You can bring out all the guys you listed here and STILL fit in Nybeck.

Reactions: Svanstrom

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
I view Niederbach as a center(and thankfully Montén seems to do too), my hope is that we'll have Eklund-Henriksson-Niederbach-Costmar in the middle, but Montén likes his offensively inept, defense-only guys at 3C sadly.
I do too see him as a canter. But I still like the idea of that Frölunda-line. We know those 3 guys have and can play with each other. Niederbach centered Raymond in last game vs DIF. I'm not a huge fan of Sundsvik, at least not in WJC. But I have kind of given in since I know Montén will play him. I would prefer Treloar on C. NCAA and USHL is underrated, USA have shown that in the tournament year after year.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Very solid looking team. A few things:
  • That Broberg - Soderstrom top pairing could be the best in the tournament. Byram - Drysdale, if they play together, would be the only comparable pairing.
  • I'm curious to see whether they go with Raymond - Holtz to build off of chemistry at past international tournaments or Eklund - Holtz to build off of more recent success. Or perhaps even all three of them together.
  • I think the WJC could really put Niederbach on the map, especially if he plays with the team's high-end wingers. He's had tons of success in Sweden but hasn't really had the chance to prove himself on the international stage, in part due to injuries.
  • Gunler needs a strong tournament to maintain his status as a top prospect. I like his game, but he hasn't really had much success since his D-1 year.
  • If Wallstedt can win the starting job and impresses for Team Sweden, he might legitimately get some 1st overall talk. The top-end of the 2021 draft is wide open.
  • Unless he blows the doors off in camp, I don't think Nybeck will be getting a top-6 role. I'd honestly be surprised to see him make the roster at all, not that I'd agree with it.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Screenshot-7.png

Anyone suprised? We all know what is gonna happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad