WJC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
If u guys had to choose outside of numbers. Who would you take as starting gk role for Sweden?

More experienced Alnefelt or more gifted Wallstedt with better numbers so far?

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Finally a real World Championships in hockey! And these dudes are the U18 champions since two seasons ago! Now reinforced with Niederbach, Gunler, Eklund and Grans! Yup, a more fluid center line, rock solid defense and two goalie wizards.

Last edited:
Reactions: kilowatt

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Eklund should center a line w Holtz and Niederbach
Then play Raymond -Henriksson-random or Raymond-Ljungman-Henriksson.

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Why would you split up Holtz and Raymond after all this time and success together?

Because they add more total value t the team being on separate lines given line mates available. Holtz is not dependent on Raymond as his set-up guy and Raymond is not dependent on Holtz as a finisher.

Holtz and Eklund obviously working well in DIF at a level higher(and more recent) than Holtz has ever played w Raymond.

They should of course continue to play pp1 together.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Because they add more total value t the team being on separate lines given line mates available. Holtz is not dependent on Raymond as his set-up guy and Raymond is not dependent on Holtz as a finisher.

Holtz and Eklund obviously working well in DIF at a level higher(and more recent) than Holtz has ever played w Raymond.

They should of course continue to play pp1 together.
I understand your point, but I’m not sure that I agree with it. As a person who had the privilege of watching the Sedins play on a nightly basis, I understand the value of keeping together a pair of players with excellent chemistry. I would argue the old axiom of the two being “greater than the sum of their parts” would apply.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Raymond – Henriksson – Holtz
Nybeck – Eklund – Gunler
Heineman – Holmström – Söderblom
Olausson - Niederbach - Grewe
Costmar

Johansson – Broberg
Björnfot – Söderström
Andrae – Grans
Wallinder

Wallstedt
Alnefelt
Clang

Hopefully they can bring in someone who has a bit of experience. It's been lacking since Rönnberg left. Roger Melin maybe? Will probably be the current U18 coach.

And no, Leif Boork. We are not interested.

leif boork coached us to final in canada cup 1984 :nod:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Raymond – Henriksson – Holmström
Olausson – Eklund – Holtz
Heineman – Niederbach – Söderblom
Nybeck - Sundsvik - Wikström
Costmar

Björnfot – Söderström
Grans – Broberg
Johansson - Wallinder
Andrae/Edvinsson

Wallstedt
Alnefelt
Clang

I think it's best to split Raymond and Holtz to let Eklund play center with a couple of familiar names around him. Holmström or Heineman to the top line. Niederbach is not proven at the U20 NT level but we have no better option at center, let him play with a couple of guys who can do the heavy lifting.

Goalies are pretty much set. Defense too, if everyone is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: perolofbrasar

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Costmar

Björnfot – Söderström
Grans – Broberg
Johansson - Wallinder
Andrae

Wallstedt
Alnefelt
Clang

I think it's best to split Raymond and Holtz to let Eklund play center with a couple of familiar names around him. Holmström or Heineman to the top line. Niederbach is not proven at the U20 NT level but we have no better option at center, let him play with a couple of guys who can do the heavy lifting.

why wikström if i may ask?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Costmar

Björnfot – Söderström
Grans – Broberg
Johansson - Wallinder
Andrae

Wallstedt
Alnefelt
Clang

That team looks pretty good Centers may be the biggest question mark as Henriksson and Sundsvik seem seem like they are alot lower profile than typical Centers on the team and the other two lack some experience . They are all playing in the SHL though, which is huge considering how many players are currently not playing anywhere

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
That team looks pretty good Centers may be the biggest question mark as Henriksson and Sundsvik seem seem like they are alot lower profile than typical Centers on the team and the other two lack some experience . They are all playing in the SHL though, which is huge considering how many players are currently not playing anywhere

Henriksson is easily one of the best players on this team. I believe he tops the SHL in shot assists per 60. There just isn't an offensive role for him in Frölunda at the moment but he will turn a lot of heads at the WJC.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Why would you split up Holtz and Raymond after all this time and success together?
The idea of splitting them up has been toyed with before, not due to spreading out the talent either, but because at times their playstyles have counteracted eachother making the duo not that effective production-wise.

Should be noted Eklund, & Holtz have played together a lot too(both in junior leagues, and now the SHL), and are currently killing it in the SHL.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The idea of splitting them up has been toyed with before, not due to spreading out the talent either, but because at times their playstyles have counteracted eachother making the duo not that effective production-wise.

Should be noted Eklund, & Holtz have played together a lot too(both in junior leagues, and now the SHL), and are currently killing it in the SHL.
Fair enough. In any case, the coach doesn’t need to be married to one idea or the other. If he has them on separate lines and it isn’t working, he can always change it up (and vice versa if he starts them together and they struggle).

My only concern is that the coach may need to figure it out quickly because you know how much this Sweden team struggles during the opening round! :laugh:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Henriksson is easily one of the best players on this team. I believe he tops the SHL in shot assists per 60. There just isn't an offensive role for him in Frölunda at the moment but he will turn a lot of heads at the WJC.

Henriksson is a good player he just seems lesser profile and probably more underatted than Sweden's top centers in the past. Why aren't you putting Gunler on the roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->