WJC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
An interesting food for thought for you here.

How should Montén do with the PP?

In the national teams, Raymond has always been on the right side with Holtz as the trigger on the left.

However, with how well Raymond is doing on the right side in Frölunda, should Montén investigate another PP strategy? And if so, how could it look?

Yes, both Raymond and Holtz are much better on the left side. Raymond looks very awkward on the right side. When the cross ice pass to Holtz gets taken away (it will) then there aren't many options left for him to create as a right handed shooter. I'd rather see them on different units at the same position, maybe they could use Raymond at the goal line on Holtz unit and let him create offense from behind the net. I'd be shocked if Montén actually tried this though.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Swedish coaches always take out some gritty role players, i dont see why it would change now. We can probaly count in Leo Lööf, Hugo Styf, Albin Grewe etc.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This team will be Red Wing heavy:

-Lucas Raymod
-Elmer Soderblom
-Albin Grewe
-Albert Johansson
-William Wallinder
-Theodor Niederbach

These guys are all in contention for the team.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Do you guys think any WJC players is mature enough for the Tre Kronor? Söderström, Broberg, Björnfot and A.Johansson are all very mature. Holtz is physical strong.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Travis Treloar?

Wallstedt right now i would say is our nr1 keeper.

Raymond – Henriksson – Holtz
Nybeck – Eklund – Gunler
Heineman – Holmström – Söderblom
Olausson - Niederbach - Torgersson
Sundsvik

Johansson – Broberg
Björnfot – Söderström
Andrae – Grans
Wallinder

Wallstedt
Alnefelt
Clang

But ofc Monten will ruin this with including grinders....:ha: The madman will probaly not even have Eklund on the team. :mad:

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Travis Treloar?

Wallstedt right now i would say is our nr1 keeper.

Raymond – Henriksson – Holtz
Nybeck – Eklund – Gunler
Heineman – Holmström – Söderblom
Olausson - Niederbach - Torgersson
Sundsvik

Johansson – Broberg
Björnfot – Söderström
Andrae – Grans
Wallinder

Wallstedt
Alnefelt
Clang

But ofc Monten will ruin this with including grinders....:ha: The madman will probaly not even have Eklund on the team. :mad:

Think Costmar is pretty nailed on considering the coach we have. I would definately be surprised if he is anything less than the number two centre.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Sounds like Edvinsson might be selected for the November games against Finland. Lysell, who has been very inconsistent this season, will play with the U18 NT.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Roster for the November games:

MÅLVAKTER
1. Jesper Wallstedt
30. Hugo Alnefelt
BACKAR
2. Gustav Berglund
3. Emil Andrae
4. Helge Grans
5. Albert Johansson
6. Ludvig Hedström
7. William Wallinder
12. Simon Edvinsson
26. Alex Brännstam
FORWARDS
8. Noel Gunler
9. Daniel Ljungman
10. Alexander Holtz
11. Oskar Olausson
14. Arvid Costmar
15. Simon Holmström
17. William Eklund
18. Lucas Raymond
21. Karl Henriksson
22. Emil Heineman
25. Elmer Söderblom
27. Jonathan Wikström
28. Simon Robertsson
29. Albin Sundsvik

Don't see any major surprises at first glance. Returning defensemen are missing but that was expected. Nice to see Wikström on there. Robertsson wouldn't be my choice from the 03 age group but I get it. Would have liked to see Niederbach obviously.

Edit: Nybeck is missing. He's had a very meh season so far but that's surprising.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Roster for the November games:

MÅLVAKTER
1. Jesper Wallstedt
30. Hugo Alnefelt
BACKAR
2. Gustav Berglund
3. Emil Andrae
4. Helge Grans
5. Albert Johansson
6. Ludvig Hedström
7. William Wallinder
12. Simon Edvinsson
26. Alex Brännstam
FORWARDS
8. Noel Gunler
9. Daniel Ljungman
10. Alexander Holtz
11. Oskar Olausson
14. Arvid Costmar
15. Simon Holmström
17. William Eklund
18. Lucas Raymond
21. Karl Henriksson
22. Emil Heineman
25. Elmer Söderblom
27. Jonathan Wikström
28. Simon Robertsson
29. Albin Sundsvik

Don't see any major surprises at first glance. Returning defensemen are missing but that was expected. Nice to see Wikström on there. Robertsson wouldn't be my choice from the 03 age group but I get it. Would have liked to see Niederbach obviously.

Edit: Nybeck is missing. He's had a very meh season so far but that's surprising.
Neiderbach as well

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cant believe Neiderbach didnt get taken with the start he having right now, with him not getting an invite does that mean hes pretty much out? Or if he keeps ripping it up will they potentially bring him? I know he was hurt a lot so maybe thats why they didnt bring him?

Also if Broberg and Soderstrom dont come back, is Johansson the top D? If they are there what role do you think he'll play?

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Cant believe Neiderbach didnt get taken with the start he having right now, with him not getting an invite does that mean hes pretty much out? Or if he keeps ripping it up will they potentially bring him? I know he was hurt a lot so maybe thats why they didnt bring him?

Also if Broberg and Soderstrom dont come back, is Johansson the top D? If they are there what role do you think he'll play?

The Swedish national teams (especially Montén) doesn't like creative centers, centers in their mind should be good at face-offs and good defensively.
They also have a very strict top-6 = offensive, bottom-6 = defensive role assignment.

Top-6 winger positions are filled with players who are doing well in mens-leagues (something they also value highly).

The only way I see him coming to the WJC now is if injuries happens to centers, or one / a few of the top-6 wingers (not sure if they'd bring in Nybeck over Niederbach if a top-6 winger position opens up).

Reactions: De Montreal
Aug 25, 2009
éal
The Swedish national teams (especially Montén) doesn't like creative centers, centers in their mind should be good at face-offs and good defensively.
They also have a very strict top-6 = offensive, bottom-6 = defensive role assignment.

Top-6 winger positions are filled with players who are doing well in mens-leagues (something they also value highly).

The only way I see him coming to the WJC now is if injuries happens to centers, or one / a few of the top-6 wingers (not sure if they'd bring in Nybeck over Niederbach if a top-6 winger position opens up).
Thanks that gotta be disappointing for the kid after such a strong start, especially because the Sweden team isn’t particularly strong down the middle this year

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So this WJC will be played on small rinks in Canada. I thought it would be on big rink in Europe. Oh well, that changes some things, i think we need a really physical 4th line.

Grewe - Sundsvik - Robertsson

Grewe only have 2 pim in 8 games, while still being physical. So he seems to have learn to play within the rules.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Neither Broberg, Björnfot or Söderström are there because they might be NHL players next season. I don't understand how that should stop them, but it is what it is.

It's highly unlikely that the season starts any time in January.
Unless the NHL loses it's mind and makes all of the Canadian teams a single division and has them only playing other Canadian teams, there's no way Canada is letting playings come and between Canada and America as they please till America gets their curve wayyyyy down.

So, I'm pretty sure these guys are a legit consideration for the team.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So this WJC will be played on small rinks in Canada. I thought it would be on big rink in Europe. Oh well, that changes some things, i think we need a really physical 4th line.

Grewe - Sundsvik - Robertsson

Grewe only have 2 pim in 8 games, while still being physical. So he seems to have learn to play within the rules.
This years WJC was going to be in Edmonton Covid or no Covid. Was never going to be in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad