2021 Roster Thread XV - Where everyone is in agreement about what is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Who? I cannot honestly recall anyone banging a drum hard for Duchene.
If you have a bad memory that's on you. Pretty much everyone was either claiming they should just go with Patrick or Frost at 2C and 3C, or to sign Duchene. Either of which direction would have turned out significantly worse than signing Hayes.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who? I cannot honestly recall anyone banging a drum hard for Duchene.
:)

244ae3b36c6f746417f0d97fb9ee3e68.png

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If you have a bad memory that's on you. Pretty much everyone was either claiming they should just go with Patrick or Frost at 2C and 3C, or to sign Duchene. Either of which direction would have turned out significantly worse than signing Hayes.

Go find the posts then. Should be easy to do, given the apparent large number of people that were clamoring for him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I love people pretending Hayes was the only option and that the only option was to give him a bad contract.

There's always other options. And even if there somehow wasn't, it's better to do absolutely nothing than screw the team over and cause future problems, which is exactly what's happening right now thanks to that NMC and cap hit.

This is really simple shit.

In other words, I know there were no other options, I would have bitched like crazy had they not made the move and missed the playoffs, now I reserve my right to bitch like crazy b/c they made the move.

Hayes wasn't my first choice, but it was the market rate, and it was signed before COVID and the flat cap, can't blame Fletcher for that.
He's pretty much as advertised, I expect a better season from a healthy Hayes, because they know who works with him and who doesn't.

JVR/Laughton/Farabee - Hayes - Allison/Farabee
that leaves
Lindblom/Laughton - Frost - Patrick/Allison as your 3rd line
Cates/Laughton - Laczynski - NAK/Patrick as your 4th line

Even if you lose/trade Voracek, that's 11 forwards for 9 spots.

PK:
Laughton - Couts
Farabee - Hayes
Lindblom - NAK

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Imagine if Chuck did something like acquire Trocheck for 2.5 seasons at the cost of 2nd+Ratcliffe+Raffl.

I'm really trying to avoid hockey and admittedly doing a terrible job at it here, but Trocheck wasn't a huge name or a should-be dump like Victor Rask. He was just a good player on a team who wanted to "shake things up." You prey on the teams with that mindset and keep a long view of your franchise. That's the lesson.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Cool, so now we are going with revisionist history to fill in the moment. Before you strawman, I am not saying you specifically. There were a few people here banging the drum hard for Duchene, pretty much the rest said ''just go with Patrick and Frost at 2C and 3C. Either option would have worked out significantly worse than Hayes has thus far who was one of their best players in 19-20, and like almost everyone else had a down year in 20-21. I'm sure Hayes playing through a sports hernia had nothing to do with his struggles though. Hayes is the least of this team's problems right now and going after him is nothing more than pushing a clear agenda.
Throughout this whole thread you said you preferred Duchene the player but Hayes at 5/5 was the better value. For arguments sake they got essentially the same contract.
Who would you rather the Flyers sign

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm really trying to avoid hockey and admittedly doing a terrible job at it here, but Trocheck wasn't a huge name or a should-be dump like Victor Rask. He was just a good player on a team who wanted to "shake things up." You prey on the teams with that mindset and keep a long view of your franchise. That's the lesson.

I won’t begin to understand what being a “name” actually means besides more dollars spent. Was Hayes more of a name? His lower career averages and peak compared to Trocheck doesn’t make him one on paper. Is it simply a matter of having a career 50 games for a New York team? 1st round pick trade? UFA timing?

I hate “names.” We’d all be better off without them! But, at the very least, certainly GMs would be better off not starting and ending their lists with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad