2021 Roster Thread XV - Where everyone is in agreement about what is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Or go out and GM. It’s amazing the moves other teams seem to be able to pull off while we’re dumpster diving for the Brauns, Grants, and Thompsons of the world and paying a premium for them.
Because there were so many good 2C's on great contracts available. If Fletcher paid what the Islanders paid for Pageau, I'm sure you would love it.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So punt on the season in AV's first year? That wasn't going to happen.
This is *exactly* what I’ve been talking about. People bitch incessantly if Fletcher doesn’t make moves, & they bitch when he does make significant moves (or when core roster changes are suggested).

Reactions: LorneMalvo

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Hayes was a huge addition to the Flyers in his first season. Without him they’d have had a massive hole at 2C & no way they would’ve gone from a non-playoff team to the 6th best record in the NHL & their first playoff round win in 9 seasons.

Disparaging the Hayes acquisition is yet another example of fans complaining about the roster when the team is struggling, but then also complaining when they make significant changes to address glaring weaknesses. Posters want to eat their cake & have it, too. As I’ve said before many times, this isn’t playing the stock market. The goal is to win, & in order to do that you can’t be afraid to occasionally overpay a bit to improve the roster.

And there are plenty of ways this team can better use JVR’s $7M cap hit to address more glaring needs.

and im going to be fair to the giroux fans, he doesnt have 5 years to wait for prospects to blossom, they have to add vets in order to give giroux a cup.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Imagine if Chuck did something like acquire Trocheck for 2.5 seasons at the cost of 2nd+Ratcliffe+Raffl. That’s about what Carolina paid. Imagine if they gave Frost a real run. Imagine if instead of obsessing over overpaid centers, they tried to acquire a play driving wing to boost center play.

But alas: we live in a world where you either pay a pick to spend 7x7.1 on Hayes.....or you roll over and DIE. In the end, as that Bubble #1 Seed banner sits high in the rafters, they made the right choice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or go out and GM. It’s amazing the moves other teams seem to be able to pull off while we’re dumpster diving for the Brauns, Grants, and Thompsons of the world and paying a premium for them.

A 4th for Grant and a next year 5th for Thompson, at the TDL, isn't exactly a premium. That's what you pay for "bodies."

A 2nd and 3rd for Braun is the market rate for a top 4 rental, and he was a solid top 4 last year.
This year he's paid a 3rd pair rate and he's an above average 3rd pair D-man.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Because there were so many good 2C's on great contracts available. If Fletcher paid what the Islanders paid for Pageau, I'm sure you would love it.

I’m perfectly fine moving assets in smart deals and anyway I’d have thrown everything at sniping Panarin from the Rags, including throwing an actual Brinks truck at his feet.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Oh shit, @mja ...

6EW2qVc.gif

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
"No one is going to absorb a 7 plus million dollar salary" for a 60-70 point guy for 2 or 3 years

while at the same time being ok with Hayes at 7 million for 5 more years and his sub 50 points.
LMAO, I thought you were better than that. So now the value of a player is directly linked to his point total. Hayes is a center which carries more value than a winger right off the bat. This team in particular has nothing behind Couturier and Hayes at center. Meanwhile at wing they have Giroux, JVR, Voracek, Konecny, Farabee, Lindblom, Laughton, Allison, etc etc. JVR is 32 and Voracek will turn 32 over the summer. Hayes is three years younger at 29. Voracek has also been a core piece of a team for who has won NOTHING for an entire decade so perhaps shaking up that core with some new players wouldn't be a bad thing.

I know things like context and nuance might get in the way of you trying to make a shitty point, but unfortunately for you in this case they are a significant factor. But hey, if you'd rather find a way to get Seattle to take Hayes over Voracek to free up cap space for a defenseman and go with Patrick or Frost at 2C good for you.

Reactions: kyuss

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Imagine if Chuck did something like acquire Trocheck for 2.5 seasons at the cost of 2nd+Ratcliffe+Raffl. That’s about what Carolina paid. Imagine if they gave Frost a real run. Imagine if instead of obsessing over overpaid centers, they tried to acquire a play driving wing to boost center play.

But alas: we live in a world where you either pay a pick to spend 7x7.1 on Hayes.....or you roll over and DIE.

They gave Frost 20 games to show he wasn't ready, nor did he go to the AHL and tear it up like the NHL ready prospects have done.

Wisdom 28g 4-8 11 at ES.
Foerster 24g 7-3 10 at ES
Willman 30g 9-5 14 at ES

Laczynski 14g 6-3 9 at ES
Allison 10g 4-3 7 at ES

Frost 41g 11-8 19 at ES

Nor were his Phancy stats as good as Laczynski and Allison.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

But alas: we live in a world where you either pay a pick to spend 7x7.1 on Hayes.....or you roll over and DIE. In the end, as that Bubble #1 Seed banner sits high in the rafters, they made the right choice.

That pick didn't do shit on that historic 2020 postseason run. LMAO!

Reactions: Magua and Striiker

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I love people pretending Hayes was the only option and that the only option was to give him a bad contract.

There's always other options. And even if there somehow wasn't, it's better to do absolutely nothing than screw the team over and cause future problems, which is exactly what's happening right now thanks to that NMC and cap hit.

This is really simple shit.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I love people pretending Hayes was the only option or and that the only option was to give him a bad contract.

There's always other options. And even if there somehow wasn't, it's better to do absolutely nothing than screw the team over and cause future problems, which is exactly what's happening right now thanks to that NMC and cap hit.

This is really simple shit.

LMAO!

Reactions: Striiker

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
He was. And without him everyone would have been bitching because no way the team would have made anywhere near the improvement. He not only gave them a much needed 2C, but he was their best player in the bubble. Sucks he had to play hurt most of this season.
Come on man, how dare you bring facts and context into this discussion.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Best part is this requires zero hindsight. People brought this up in his signing thread.

Remember that thread? The one that got bumped by the staff shills after we raised the "first round playoff series winner" banner last offseason?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->