Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One year rental D-men:

Edmundson for Faulk
Ceci & 2020 3rd for Zaitsev, Connor Brown
Barrie & Kerfoot for Kadri
Braun for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd

Hard to find a lot of top 4 rental deals.
Ekholm will garner more than Braun (but Braun was an established top 4 D-man but 32, Eklholm will be 31).
But he's not going to get a king's ransom.
Probably the equivalent of a late 1st rd pick, so say Flyers 2021 2nd and 2022 1st or something like that. Braun was equivalent to the 40th pick or so.

And Nashville would have to take salary back, so maybe Ghost and the 2021 2nd.
But nothing until after the ED.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeah, Holmgren had a real penchant for boring teams. I hated making the playoffs
Me too. I hated signing the best FA in Danny Briere. I hated trading for two other top notch FA's in Timonen and Hartnell and signing them. I hated trading for a one of the greatest defenseman of his era in Chris Pronger. I hated making the playoffs every year, and making the SCF'S in 2010.

I would much rather take the last 9 years. Sure, we've only made the playoffs 4 out of 9 times. Sure we've only won one playoff series. Hell, we even never even get consideration from the top 3 free agents each summer. But guess what, we have a lots of prospects and picks. 2030 here we come.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, god forbid we keep the guy who has the highest scoring rate on the entire team over the past 3 years.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So like lose JVR...add a sweetner....and use that money to sign another Hayes.

Losing someone to expansion is the rules. I am not adding extra to lose a certain guy just so we can waste it on a worse player.

It would be DIFFERENT if we had a legit, crap cap dump....like 10 million for Bobrovsky
Hayes was a huge addition to the Flyers in his first season. Without him they’d have had a massive hole at 2C & no way they would’ve gone from a non-playoff team to the 6th best record in the NHL & their first playoff round win in 9 seasons.

Disparaging the Hayes acquisition is yet another example of fans complaining about the roster when the team is struggling, but then also complaining when they make significant changes to address glaring weaknesses. Posters want to eat their cake & have it, too. As I’ve said before many times, this isn’t playing the stock market. The goal is to win, & in order to do that you can’t be afraid to occasionally overpay a bit to improve the roster.

And there are plenty of ways this team can better use JVR’s $7M cap hit to address more glaring needs.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
They need the cap space since the cap is expected to stay flat. No team can afford to take on a $7M cap hit except Seattle. Seattle isn’t going to absorb it without an incentive. Patrick wants out & has been a huge bust. If trading Patrick gets them $7M in cap space it’s worth it.
This is a prime example where people around here think this team should be managed like the stock market and can't see the forest for the trees. If they send Patrick to Seattle so that they will select JVR or Voracek, they aren't just losing Patrick and one of those players. They will lose them and gain a top pairing defenseman because it will give them the resources to go out and get one which currently they cannot. I guess you have to dumb things down for some people and ask them if they would rather have JVR OR Voracek and Patrick or a top pairing defenseman because that's what it comes down to. As you said, no other team is going to absorb a 7 plus million dollar salary like that without giving back significant salary.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
[whispers]The Flyers need to keep JVR over Voracek.[/whispers]
I agree. If I had my choice I would keep JVR for two years ar 7 million, and move on from Voracek for three years at 8 million. One of them has to go in expansion though if they are going to get a big time top pairing defenseman which is an absolute must if this team is going to get significantly better.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hayes was a huge addition to the Flyers in his first season. Without him they’d have had a massive hole at 2C & no way they would’ve gone from a non-playoff team to the 6th best record in the NHL & their first playoff round win in 9 seasons.

Disparaging the Hayes acquisition is yet another example of fans complaining about the roster when the team is struggling, but then also complaining when they make significant changes to address glaring weaknesses. Posters want to eat their cake & have it, too. As I’ve said before many times, this isn’t playing the stock market. The goal is to win, & in order to do that you can’t be afraid to occasionally overpay a bit to improve the roster.

And there are plenty of ways this team can better use JVR’s $7M cap hit to address more glaring needs.
Sorry, I didn't know Hayes at 7 million for 7 years was our only option for filling a C void.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Sorry, I didn't know Hayes at 7 million for 7 years was our only option for filling a C void.
I would say he was the best available option. We could've traded for Kadri or Pageau, but they would've cost assets and Kadri is a nutcase.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He was. And without him everyone would have been bitching because no way the team would have made anywhere near the improvement. He not only gave them a much needed 2C, but he was their best player in the bubble. Sucks he had to play hurt most of this season.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
This is a prime example where people around here think this team should be managed like the stock market and can't see the forest for the trees. If they send Patrick to Seattle so that they will select JVR or Voracek, they aren't just losing Patrick and one of those players. They will lose them and gain a top pairing defenseman because it will give them the resources to go out and get one which currently they cannot. I guess you have to dumb things down for some people and ask them if they would rather have JVR OR Voracek and Patrick or a top pairing defenseman because that's what it comes down to. As you said, no other team is going to absorb a 7 plus million dollar salary like that without giving back significant salary.
Precisely.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Go look again. Very few wanted him. Try again.
Cool, so now we are going with revisionist history to fill in the moment. Before you strawman, I am not saying you specifically. There were a few people here banging the drum hard for Duchene, pretty much the rest said ''just go with Patrick and Frost at 2C and 3C. Either option would have worked out significantly worse than Hayes has thus far who was one of their best players in 19-20, and like almost everyone else had a down year in 20-21. I'm sure Hayes playing through a sports hernia had nothing to do with his struggles though. Hayes is the least of this team's problems right now and going after him is nothing more than pushing a clear agenda.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I would say he was the best available option. We could've traded for Kadri or Pageau, but they would've cost assets and Kadri is a nutcase.

And Pageau, while a good defender, scores at a 3rd/4th line level, not exactly what you want in your 2C.
He also cost a 1st and 2nd rd pick, a bit dear for basically a Laughton level player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->