Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Something that I haven't seen discussed is the team's save percentage is currently at .905

Make of that what you will.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Getzlaf does a lot more at his position than make passes in the offensive zone.

Zegras is awesome but this is getting ridiculous.
Getzlaf has been horrible, I'm the biggest fan of the guy (I have 4 jerseys of his) but he has been a negative out there recently.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Comtois is playing with 2 of our better players (not saying much), Terry is playing with plug Getzlaf (looks like he is aging everytime he takes a stride) and Jones (playing well but lets not kid ourselves hes limited offensively) I'd like to see Terry with Zegras before making judgement.

Comtois is great at finding opportunity and making the most of any situation for sure. We need more players like that.

Getzlaf hasn’t been great since he missed the two games but I would say Terry has held back Getzlaf more than Getzlaf has held back Terry.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m still not convinced Getzlaf is coming back next year. The injuries have caught up with him. This season is a perfect example. He came out firing away looking crisp then got that injury, and now he looks brutal skating out there.

If he does come back, it will simply be to get to 1000 points and collect an extra 5 million bucks in the process. I think if he was already at 1000 or on track to get there by April, he would simply hang them up and go hangout in his mansion with his kids.

I doubt things are much fun for him out there any more. He’s been a winner his whole career and this isn’t in line with what he’s used to

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I’m still not convinced Getzlaf is coming back next year. The injuries have caught up with him. This season is a perfect example. He came out firing away looking crisp then got that injury, and now he looks brutal skating out there.

If he does come back, it will simply be to get to 1000 points and collect an extra 5 million bucks in the process. I think if he was already at 1000 or on track to get there by April, he would simply hang them up and go hangout in his mansion with his kids.

I doubt things are much fun for him out there any more. He’s been a winner his whole career and this isn’t in line with what he’s used to

I think he will want a full non-Covid season in front of fans before he hangs up the skates.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he will want a full non-Covid season in front of fans before he hangs up the skates.

I don’t see Getzlaf going out like this. Especially with no fans in the stands. Thinks he gives it one more season and then that’s it. I still think he can be a decent 2c. Would like to see him one final time, and gets the proper send off from the fans. But it’s his choice.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Lundestrum's line is the only consistent threat we have had in the last 8-9 games. I just don't see how we can break that up right now. It's the other guys who have to get going.
I don't think it is Lundestrom who is driving that line. It is Rakell and MC. Putting Getzlaf with them gives the line a 3rd player who can create actual offense.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota

Only he knows how his legs feel. I don't wanna judge his effort levels because I don't know what he's going through, injury-wise.

But we're back to where we were early last season, when he can barely skate out there. He's the last guy to catch up to the play going both ways. All he can do when he gets the puck is stand there and hope someone finds a seam so he can make the hero pass. He's not bad at winning board battles when he can get position on a guy and body them out, although he's not winning them at quite as high of a pace as he used to.

Last season he eventually started to feel better and skated a bit again. Hopefully this season is another temporary injury.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I'm curious as to why Henrique was scapegoated. He hasn't been good, but other vets have been as bad or worse. As far as I know, he doesn't have a history of attitude problems. If a trade was the goal, waiving him and scratching him doesn't help that. Is BM so clueless that he thought someone would actually claim him? Why not just play him, hope he starts to produce, and then explore trades?

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
What's the deal with Heinen? I thought he looked pretty good most games. Surprisingly pretty polished in the o-zone and atleast decent defensively.
I suspect he was scratched so they could see what they have in Milano - which IMO was not much. He may sit again to give Milano another look, but for my money, I'd rather have Heinen in the lineup.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'm curious as to why Henrique was scapegoated. He hasn't been good, but other vets have been as bad or worse. As far as I know, he doesn't have a history of attitude problems. If a trade was the goal, waiving him and scratching him doesn't help that. Is BM so clueless that he thought someone would actually claim him? Why not just play him, hope he starts to produce, and then explore trades?
Just one of a long list of moves in the last few years by Anaheim that has been brainless.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
There is a thread somewhere on the main boards where it was mentioned in his pre draft that there was questions about Henrique's passion or emotion for the game.
Could have sworn that a few Devils fans pointed out that at times Henrique looks like he doesn't care or lacks emotion.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
There is a thread somewhere on the main boards where it was mentioned in his pre draft that there was questions about Henrique's passion or emotion for the game.
Could have sworn that a few Devils fans pointed out that at times Henrique looks like he doesn't care or lacks emotion.
Thanks for the info. So I guess he went from a model citizen who deserved a sweet 5-year deal to a dog who needed to be waived and put on the taxi squad. There is something a little off in this organization.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The very next interviewee was a guy who had some skill but didn't look very committed on ice, a player who we thought too often floated without the puck, and showed no visible reaction when scored on or the game got feisty. So we had our doubts about his character. But this player was a jovial, pleasant, intelligent, and sincere interviewee. We also heard he was well-liked by his teammates and that he was sociable and very coachable, he just didn't have the habit of wearing his emotions on his sleeve. So we moved him up our list. He now plays, quite successfully, for Anaheim.

most likely Henrique.

Thanks for the info. So I guess he went from a model citizen who deserved a sweet 5-year deal to a dog who needed to be waived and put on the taxi squad. There is something a little off in this organization.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Only he knows how his legs feel. I don't wanna judge his effort levels because I don't know what he's going through, injury-wise.

But we're back to where we were early last season, when he can barely skate out there. He's the last guy to catch up to the play going both ways. All he can do when he gets the puck is stand there and hope someone finds a seam so he can make the hero pass. He's not bad at winning board battles when he can get position on a guy and body them out, although he's not winning them at quite as high of a pace as he used to.

Last season he eventually started to feel better and skated a bit again. Hopefully this season is another temporary injury.
I don’t think he’s lazy at all. I’ve never bought into that personally.

I just think he can’t handle the rigors of an NHL schedule anymore for more than a 10 game burst that usually comes at the beginning or end of the season. I think he’s most likely in a great deal of discomfort out there, if not outright pain.

It’s anyone’s guess how much longer he’s gonna want to subject his body to that. I personally feel like he’s made his money and has accomplished most of what he wanted to in his career, with the lone exception being 1000 points. I hope he sticks around to get there

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

I think that's what they were doing when they put him on Getzlaf's wing after scratching him for a game. Tried to get him going and it seemed to work in very (and I mean VERY) short spurts, but ultimately he regressed again and that's probably why they waived him.

As for questions about his attitude/passion, none of us will probably ever know if there's any merit to that. It would certainly be unforeseen from the organization after giving him that juicy contract and at times giving him the "A."

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Putting someone with Getzlaf right now is not a way to get them going.... He must have a nagging injury or maybe father time.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
It's funny how they keep benching Zegras up 3-0 because they want to win and end up losing anyway... to a not so good team.... if we are going to keep Zegras up and want him to develop just play him as much as possible in all situations, we suck period it's not going to matter. If you aren't going to let him get experience (up by 1 goal 2 mins left, down by 1 goal 2 minutes left, more overtime shifts, defensive zone starts, etc.) send him to San Diego.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad