Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It's less about the amount and more about the principle. $5 isn't a lot of money, but I wouldn't just light it on fire for the hell of it.

It's probable there is a logistical reason to put him on today or that the transaction is being posted early.

If it was actual money I'd agree but that doesn't change at all, it's just cap so it really doesn't matter, but I do agree it's probably just posted early or something else altogether.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If it was actual money I'd agree but that doesn't change at all, it's just cap so it really doesn't matter, but I do agree it's probably just posted early or something else altogether.
It's still a tangible thing they wouldn't waste for no reason though.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It's still a tangible thing they wouldn't waste for no reason though.

Probably true! The website also can't be correct unless someone from the Gulls was called up to the taxi squad, although they weirdly never deleted Lettieri off of there from his first call up so it's never been totally accurate.

Either way I'd guess Rico is in for tomorrow night and that's about all we can discern from this.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Henrique is still our equal 3rd highest goalscorer despite having a crap start to the season and missing nearly 1/4 of the season. No doubt he had a crap start to the season, but throwing a well-liked veteran player under the bus was a pathetic move.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't think it is Lundestrom who is driving that line. It is Rakell and MC. Putting Getzlaf with them gives the line a 3rd player who can create actual offense.
It isn't, but it's great for him to be finding success on a line. He's been much more involved offensively with those two and I think it would be a mistake to take him away from it.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It isn't, but it's great for him to be finding success on a line. He's been much more involved offensively with those two and I think it would be a mistake to take him away from it.

I don't think Lundy gets enough credit for work away from the puck or recovering the puck. Remember, Steel centered Comtois and Terry. It was meh for that line. Let's say Terry and Rakell are playmakers for this season (which they are). Why is it that a Comtois-Lundy-Rakell line is taking off? Lundy's is that reason. Lundy is able to do more as a center than Steel does. Lundy is our Rucchin. In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, "No respect!" LoL

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm curious as to why Henrique was scapegoated. He hasn't been good, but other vets have been as bad or worse. As far as I know, he doesn't have a history of attitude problems. If a trade was the goal, waiving him and scratching him doesn't help that. Is BM so clueless that he thought someone would actually claim him? Why not just play him, hope he starts to produce, and then explore trades?

My personal opinion is that he appears to be out of shape. He's lacking a motor for sure, which could be mental, but more likely physical. With COVID, training regimes were disrupted/shorter preseason and I think he's suffered for it.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I guess I just don't see the upside. Hes involved but hes not really generating anything. IMO

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I guess I just don't see the upside. Hes involved but hes not really generating anything. IMO

The production on the ice with that line says differently, though. A Comtois-Steel-Terry line didn't do much. A Heinen-Steel-Silf line also didn't do much. Yet, Lundy's is able to win the puck and get the puck out better than Steel did. I remember the Comtois-Steel-Terry line would be hemmed in the defensive zone often.

Comtoisgamesgoals assistspointsppg
w/o L + R113140.36
w/ L + R95491.00
Total2085130.65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rakellgamesgoals assistspointsppg
w/o L + C111230.27
w/ L + C90440.44
Total201670.35
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Lundygamesgoals assistspointsppg
w/o C + R40000.00
w/ C + R92020.22
Total132020.15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This reminds about a scene from the Star Wars prequel when Obi-wan went to the Jedi academy to inquire about a missing planet. The map shows no planet exists, but a padiwan gave a solution that the planet was erased from the map because there is evidence of gravitational pull that a planet does exist there. The Comtois-Lundy-Rakell line is jelling and Lundy is a big part of it. While Lindholm gets no credit for generating offense on traditional stats to help control the game, the possession stats (including zone exits) reveal he's at the top of the defensive game. Looking at Lundy's possession stats, his Corsi (ES) is 51.8% and Fenwick (ES) is 53.1%. Steel's numbers are lower: Corsi (ES) is 50.1% and Fenwick (ES) is 48.9%. It's possible that little tweak makes for a huge difference.

There is a significant difference in Offensive Zone (OZ) starts between the two. Lundy gets 68% OZ starts while Steel gets 55% OZ starts. To this I point to Face Off Win percentage (FOW%): Lundy is 45.5% FOW% while Steel possesses a 55.2% FOW% this season. Sure, we win the puck more with Steel, but nothing more is part of the problem.

Age is the upside here. He's about two years younger than Steel. We're finally seeing something out of Lundy at the NHL level we haven't seen before in his previous two years, which is a positive possession rate. Lundy looks more comfortable than Steel at the pivot, which is something I was not expecting this year or ever. When we moved Lundy to wing to start the season, I thought that was the end of Lundy at center for his NHL career. I say keep Lundy with Comtois and Rakell to continue his progression at center at the NHL level.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The production on the ice with that line says differently, though. A Comtois-Steel-Terry line didn't do much. A Heinen-Steel-Silf line also didn't do much. Yet, Lundy's is able to win the puck and get the puck out better than Steel did. I remember the Comtois-Steel-Terry line would be hemmed in the defensive zone often.

w/o L + R113140.36
w/ L + R95491.00
Total2085130.65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

w/o L + C111230.27
w/ L + C90440.44
Total201670.35
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

w/o C + R40000.00
w/ C + R92020.22
Total132020.15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This reminds about a scene from the Star Wars prequel when Obi-wan went to the Jedi academy to inquire about a missing planet. The map shows no planet exists, but a padiwan gave a solution that the planet was erased from the map because there is evidence of gravitational pull that a planet does exist there. The Comtois-Lundy-Rakell line is jelling and Lundy is a big part of it. While Lindholm gets no credit for generating offense on traditional stats to help control the game, the possession stats (including zone exits) reveal he's at the top of the defensive game. Looking at Lundy's possession stats, his Corsi (ES) is 51.8% and Fenwick (ES) is 53.1%. Steel's numbers are lower: Corsi (ES) is 50.1% and Fenwick (ES) is 48.9%. It's possible that little tweak makes for a huge difference.

There is a significant difference in Offensive Zone (OZ) starts between the two. Lundy gets 68% OZ starts while Steel gets 55% OZ starts. To this I point to Face Off Win percentage (FOW%): Lundy is 45.5% FOW% while Steel possesses a 55.2% FOW% this season. Sure, we win the puck more with Steel, but nothing more is part of the problem.

Age is the upside here. He's about two years younger than Steel. We're finally seeing something out of Lundy at the NHL level we haven't seen before in his previous two years, which is a positive possession rate. Lundy looks more comfortable than Steel at the pivot, which is something I was not expecting this year or ever. When we moved Lundy to wing to start the season, I thought that was the end of Lundy at center for his NHL career. I say keep Lundy with Comtois and Rakell to continue his progression at center at the NHL level.

Lundstrom has been way more effective than steel I literally don't even think it's debatable.
Why are comparing Steel and Lundestrom, I'm pretty sure I advocated putting MC and Rakell with Getzlaf. The fact is we have not seen MC and Rakell together with anyone but Lundestrom if I recall and if we did it is a small sample. Even if we wanted to swap Steel and Lundestrom, Steel has produced double the PPG than Lundestrom with Lesser linemates and significantly worse zone starts. Last I checked we were having trouble scoring. I like Lundestrom and I am glad he is showing improvement but that actual production just is not there. We talk about giving guys too much leash but If Lundestrom is going to stick with our 2 TOP scorers he has to produce something. I agree that he has been good at recovering pucks and holding onto them but if those skills were leading to goals then he'd likely have some assists by now. I just don't get the reluctance to at least TRY the pair with another center.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada

w/o L + R113140.36
w/ L + R95491.00
Total2085130.65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

w/o L + C111230.27
w/ L + C90440.44
Total201670.35
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

w/o C + R40000.00
w/ C + R92020.22
Total132020.15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

None of our lines are “jelling”. This team can’t score goals up and down the lineup. Your tables only prove Comtois has improved and to say that’s because of Lundestrom is a stretch to say the least.

Also, I have no idea what that Star Wars reference means...(please don’t try to explain it).

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Lundstrom has been way more effective than steel I literally don't even think it's debatable.

Do you think that based on the success of his line or his individual play?

He obviously contributes to his lines success, but I think it is more how he battles and his motor then his offensive skill.

He doesn't have the offensive skill of a top 6 forward from what I see.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He can atleast protect the puck. What are the strengths of Steels game right now other than faceoffs?

Reactions: DuckRogers10

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If we get Virtanen,

Comtois-Getzlaf-Jones
Zegras-Steel-Virtanen
Rakell-Lundestrom-Silfverberg
Henrique-Grant-Rowney (Backes before he comes back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad