Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Putting someone with Getzlaf right now is not a way to get them going.... He must have a nagging injury or maybe father time.

They scratched Henrique after subpar play while centering his own line and then immediately slid him over to the wing and paired him with Getzlaf. If that's not them trying to get him going, I don't know what is. The fact that it didn't work doesn't mean Getzlaf is cooked, it means Henrique is. That's why he's not even playing while a clearly hobbled Getzlaf is.

Reactions: McDonald19

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t think he’s lazy at all. I’ve never bought into that personally.

I just think he can’t handle the rigors of an NHL schedule anymore for more than a 10 game burst that usually comes at the beginning or end of the season. I think he’s most likely in a great deal of discomfort out there, if not outright pain.

It’s anyone’s guess how much longer he’s gonna want to subject his body to that. I personally feel like he’s made his money and has accomplished most of what he wanted to in his career, with the lone exception being 1000 points. I hope he sticks around to get there

I wonder if moving him to wing can prolong his career a little bit. There’s far less skating involved so he doesn’t have to worry about having to cover as much ice. That said there’s a lot more stopping and starting from the wing which could be detrimental but I still feel more good than bad could come from moving him over.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I wonder if moving him to wing can prolong his career a little bit. There’s far less skating involved so he doesn’t have to worry about having to cover as much ice. That said there’s a lot more stopping and starting from the wing which could be detrimental but I still feel more good than bad could come from moving him over.

I like the idea, but we already have way too many wingers. You'd also have Steel as your first line center, Lundestrom, Grant/Henrique?, and Backes down the middle. Yikes.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
They scratched Henrique after subpar play while centering his own line and then immediately slid him over to the wing and paired him with Getzlaf. If that's not them trying to get him going, I don't know what is. The fact that it didn't work doesn't mean Getzlaf is cooked, it means Henrique is. That's why he's not even playing while a clearly hobbled Getzlaf is.

I don't see why I have to choose between Henrique and Getzlaf being cooked. Why not both?

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota

Wings need to be able to threaten the defense in transition with the ability to go from their own blue line to the opposite net. The current Getzlaf needs two full shifts to get from there to there.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Wings need to be able to threaten the defense in transition with the ability to go from their own blue line to the opposite net. The current Getzlaf needs two full shifts to get from there to there.

Thats still a hell of a lot less skating and ground to cover than what a centre has to.

Reactions: KyleJRM

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I think Getzlaf needs to be at centre. Like others mentioned, Steel/Lundestrom as the top two is just an absolutely brutal look. Next year, maybe if there's been a trade or something and Getz is even still around.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Both lundestrom and Steel have been more effective than getzlaf the last couple games...which is sad because both have just been okay. I hate to say it getzlaf is my second favorite duck ever and I have so many jerseys of his. Father time is really undefeated.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Getz is 35, I'm not sure how much more he has to give. I still think he'd be reasonably productive (40+ points in a normal season) with the right personnel around him, but the org doesn't have them. He's not a #1C any more. It's not really a failing on his part, Father Time kicks everyone's butt eventually.

No clue what's up with Rico. Maybe he's not getting enough coffee.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope Eakins has a nice chat with Henrique and say dude I wanted you to stay and try and work things out, it was that crazy old man upstairs who made that decision.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Both lundestrom and Steel have been more effective than getzlaf the last couple games...which is sad because both have just been okay. I hate to say it getzlaf is my second favorite duck ever and I have so many jerseys of his. Father time is really undefeated.

Father time is undefeated but it’s pretty frustrating to see other guys the same age who are much worse players still being productive and contributing. The difference is they’re being surrounded by talent and being put into positions where they can succeed where as for the past 3 years Getzlaf has been thrown castoffs as wingers and isn’t being utilized correctly on the PP.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Getzlaf is one of just 25 skaters 35 years or older to appear in at least 10 games so far this season.

Out of those 25, there are 9 averaging 0.5 PPG or more.

It's a young man's game these days.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I hope Eakins has a nice chat with Henrique and say dude I wanted you to stay and try and work things out, it was that crazy old man upstairs who made that decision.

Maybe, but it sounded like Eakins was disappointed with Henrique’s response to ice time competition. At least that’s how I interpret what Eakins said.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Interesting point

How does one waste cap space for the day? Cap space isn't something that is wasted. It is either used or not. Him being up is only wasting cap space if it is stopping another player from being up, or stopping the Ducks from making a trade.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
How does one waste cap space for the day? Cap space isn't something that is wasted. It is either used or not. Him being up is only wasting cap space if it is stopping another player from being up, or stopping the Ducks from making a trade.

No it gets calculated on a daily basis and there'd be some small savings, basically the million or so they save on him being buried divided by the number of days in the season. But he also might not have been added technically for today, just the website getting ahead of themselves or something.

Jake's theory doesn't make any sense, though, I'm pretty sure he can be traded from the taxi squad. Although I don't think we've seen that yet, so maybe not, but I can't see why you couldn't.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If we are under the cap we would Accrue cap space on a daily basis. So by moving him up we would lose a days worth of cap savings. That being said I believe we are over the cap and using LTIR which means we are not accruing anyway so it has no affect on that. More likely it means he is just earning more of his paycheck as I did hear that there would be a difference even on 1 way deals.
My guess is Jake is just looking for some deeper meaning into a minor move that really has no inference in it to get some clicks/follows. I wouldn't expect a trade.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
No it gets calculated on a daily basis and there'd be some small savings, basically the million or so they save on him being buried divided by the number of days in the season. But he also might not have been added technically for today, just the website getting ahead of themselves or something.

Jake's theory doesn't make any sense, though, I'm pretty sure he can be traded from the taxi squad. Although I don't think we've seen that yet, so maybe not, but I can't see why you couldn't.

Isn't the amount saved the 1 million divided by the number of days in the season times the days he was down?
Isn't it like miniscule in that case for him to spend 1 extra day on the roster?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Isn't the amount saved the 1 million divided by the number of days in the season times the days he was down?
Isn't it like miniscule in that case for him to spend 1 extra day on the roster?
It's less about the amount and more about the principle. $5 isn't a lot of money, but I wouldn't just light it on fire for the hell of it.

It's probable there is a logistical reason to put him on today or that the transaction is being posted early.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

No the daily savings would be the entire $1,075,000 they save by having him on the taxi squad and you'd multiply by how many days he's on there to get total savings. And yes, the savings on a single say are miniscule, just under 9 grand if I have that right. DavidBL also makes a good point about LTIR, so I'm not even sure there's any savings to be had. All in all it means very little.

A much bigger question is who he replaces on the 23 man roster. Probably just Letteri but we'll see, we might have a greater idea tonight if he goes straight down to the Gulls for tonight's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad