2021 QMJHL Draft

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Anyone willing to predict how many 16's we will see in the league this year. There have been a few signings so far, mainly first round guys. Last year set a record with 38....I don't see it getting anywhere close to that...but we could see 25 or so.

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021
Let’s start with a safe guess, 15 to 25???

If you take into account all of the 04 showing up this year for the first time, plus some invitation from last year to 03, returning kids, i don’t see much openings for 16 yo

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Hard to say. The 2003's and 2004's who didn't make the Q may also have sufferred from this year of inactivity. We tend to think that 2005's players will pay the price but I would't bet my house on that even if I think that it would be better for most of them to start the season in Midget AAA.

But I don't think that there will be more than 30 sixteen years old rookies.

Last edited:

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Maritime players that will crack rosters at 16...Keep in mind a lot depends on where a team sits in the re-build and how many spots are actually up for grabs. St.John, Bathurst, Quebec, Cha , will be tough spots for example.

MacKinnon, Coughlin, Rotondi, Gendron, Squires are all locks.

The next crop that have the best chance....
Crosby, Allen , Todd, McPhee, Patterson, Campbell, Pelletier

Longshots...but you never know
Martin, Ryan, Green, Lounsbury, Burbidge

With some solid camps, we could see 8-10 16 year old Maritimers in the league next year.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
I'm gonna say Peddle and Richardson will be there and possibly Clements too. I've heard Burbidge is heading to prep. I will say 12 from down east.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
All first rounders will probably make the Q except for Tourigny, Hagen and Grenier. Not that they're not as good as the others but because they would not have a decent ice-time for their development.

Another 10-12 players should join them at the start of the season or in January.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I'm gonna say Peddle and Richardson will be there and possibly Clements too. I've heard Burbidge is heading to prep. I will say 12 from down east.
Good Point on Richardson, he may have a shot at 16, but we don't see many goalies step in to the Q at 16. Clements will be in tough with little to no chance to crack the top 6 and maybe even find himself if he makes it as #8. I would say he is better off with the Knights where he will be their #1 guy next year and play 30 mins every night.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
I agree with Clements, he’s in tough with what Bathurst has returning. His best hope is for Bathurst to trade someone and he sneaks into 30 plus games as #7. Likely better off as top d in U18 or possibly top 6 in junior A. Worked for Spence……I know they are extremely different lol.

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
All first rounders will probably make the Q except for Tourigny, Hagen and Grenier. Not that they're not as good as the others but because they would not have a decent ice-time for their development.

Another 10-12 players should join them at the start of the season or in January.
I would say Grenier probably won’t, because of limited space. I believe Hagen will be the only 05 goalie playing in the qmjhl next season, because Rimouski is in a rebuild and their goalie drafted in the euro draft Hamrla would probably have to leave to represent the Czech Republic in the world juniors. I don’t know what other goalies they have in their system. I think some later round players that have a shot at making their teams are guys like Minville and Thifault.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Maritime players that will crack rosters at 16...Keep in mind a lot depends on where a team sits in the re-build and how many spots are actually up for grabs. St.John, Bathurst, Quebec, Cha , will be tough spots for example.

MacKinnon, Coughlin, Rotondi, Gendron, Squires are all locks.

The next crop that have the best chance....
Crosby, Allen , Todd, McPhee, Patterson, Campbell, Pelletier

Longshots...but you never know
Martin, Ryan, Green, Lounsbury, Burbidge

With some solid camps, we could see 8-10 16 year old Maritimers in the league next year.

In Quebec, Mathieu Wener will probably be the only 16 yo on the team.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

archie

Apr 5, 2018
Good Point on Richardson, he may have a shot at 16, but we don't see many goalies step in to the Q at 16. Clements will be in tough with little to no chance to crack the top 6 and maybe even find himself if he makes it as #8. I would say he is better off with the Knights where he will be their #1 guy next year and play 30 mins every night.
Sounds reasonable

Last edited:

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Couple updates on Atlantic talent last week, Peddle is officially sticking around in Drummondville and Burbidge is heading to Mount St Charles.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
Prediction Charlottetown Knights will win the Atlantics this year the team is loaded with talent It is rumoured Hockey P E I approved the release of 4 of the Wild top players to the Knights! One would wonder will there just be one Midget franchise on the Island this year? Or is this just social media fake news! Go Knights

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Prediction Charlottetown Knights will win the Atlantics this year the team is loaded with talent It is rumoured Hockey P E I approved the release of 4 of the Wild top players to the Knights! One would wonder will there just be one Midget franchise on the Island this year? Or is this just social media fake news! Go Knights
Bold statement...Knights will not be as good as they were last season and they would not have walked thru the Moncton Flyers or the Freddy Caps in a 7 game series. Yet to see how many return to the NB Flyers...but I see them as the top Team in the NB-PEI league. Here is NS, Dartmouth / Mac's will both be very strong again this year.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Bold statement...Knights will not be as good as they were last season and they would not have walked thru the Moncton Flyers or the Freddy Caps in a 7 game series. Yet to see how many return to the NB Flyers...but I see them as the top Team in the NB-PEI league. Here is NS, Dartmouth / Mac's will both be very strong again this year.

Pattersson, Collette, Martin and Lounsbury will probably destroy the league if they go back.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
I see a competitive NB- PEI league, agree Charlottetown and Moncton would be front runners if key guys return. Allen could also be in the mix with the Flyers this season. Vito's will have most of their D core back and lost some fire power but will still be solid based on how young they were last year and the strong Bantam showing in NB last season. The Caps will likely add some 05's that played on the Island last year at the Mount and will surprise a lot of people. The Moose and Wild will be in tough. Until Junior A and Q camps conclude it is really tough to know what final rosters will look like.

Reactions: archie

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Which were the 4 players that were released? From the Knights stand point they only have 4 spots opening from last year and that's if they don't take any up and coming talent from Bantam AAA.. I can easily see 2 out of that number to be playing Midget AAA instead of Major Midget without any choice in the matter. These released players are taking a big chance, as the Knight's coaching staff is well noted as 2 faced when it comes to their promises and will say what they need to say to possible incoming talent to help their chances and hurt the Wild chances at the same time. Politics in hockey on PEI is strong at this level...

Last edited:

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Which were the 4 players that were released? From the Knights stand point they only have 4 spots opening from last year and that's if they don't take any up and coming talent from Bantam AAA.. I can easily see 2 out of that number to be playing Midget AAA instead of Major Midget without any choice in the matter. These released players are taking a big chance, as the Knight's coaching staff is well noted as 2 faced when it comes to their promises and will say what they need to say to possible incoming talent to help their chances and hurt the Wild chances at the same time. Politics in hockey on PEI is strong at this level...
Its a shame that Hockey PEI allows this at such a key age level of development.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
The Coaching team for the Wild for the 21/22 season is better than the Knights coaching staff, with a strong connection to the NHL and subordinate teams. They wont take long before they have the right horses in the barn to be very competitive in this league. Unfortunately, this year again they will not be.

archie

Apr 5, 2018

From the rumour mill only! They will all be in a Knights uniform 4 quality players, that should make the team better

Last edited:

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
From the rumour mill only! They will all be in a Knights uniform 4 quality players, that should make the team better
I know of 4 possible players that may have asked for a release, although late but asked. Maybe why Hockey PEI got involved, as if a release was asked before June 1st deadline the release is automatic.
I maybe wrong but the four possible players may be Brendon Murphy(C), Keifer Thomson(G), Sam Bowness(L), Crosby Andrews(D)... They are certainly decent players, not terrific, but they all have potential. These players were at their ID camp. IF and it's a big IF, were to be signed by the Knights with the others returning they would have a strong group of players.

HKY99

Oct 2, 2020
I know of 4 possible players that may have asked for a release, although late but asked. Maybe why Hockey PEI got involved, as if a release was asked before June 1st deadline the release is automatic.
I maybe wrong but the four possible players may be Brendon Murphy(C), Keifer Thomson(G), Sam Bowness(L), Crosby Andrews(D)... They are certainly decent players, not terrific, but they all have potential. These players were at their ID camp. IF and it's a big IF, were to be signed by the Knights with the others returning they would have a strong group of players.
If that did happen would there still be spots for rookies? what would they do if they were already signed?

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
If that did happen would there still be spots for rookies? what would they do if they were already signed?
Knights will not be able to fully sign any others to their roster unless they let go some of the 3rd year players which don't make sense if they are going to make a run for any title, they will have 6-8 AP players that they will use on up coming Bantam AAA players and the other 1st year Midget status players will play Midget AAA and be AP'd to their team as well or those players go to the Wild team. Makes for a painful second year re-build for the Wild... Small group of players on the Island that has the ability to even play at the Major level so when a group of players get together to switch Teams, as they can, it crushes the other team. Anybody out there have land on the island with a superstar hockey player or players please notify the Kensington Wild team. They need you ASAP. lol

Reactions: HKY99

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
Anyone willing to predict how many 16's we will see in the league this year. There have been a few signings so far, mainly first round guys. Last year set a record with 38....I don't see it getting anywhere close to that...but we could see 25 or so.

I don't know ... Midget AAA doesnt have a season like last year might as well bring some prospect directly into the Q so they have ice time and proper practice... with the announcement yesterday and doesnt look good

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
Hard to say. The 2003's and 2004's who didn't make the Q may also have sufferred from this year of inactivity. We tend to think that 2005's players will pay the price but I would't bet my house on that even if I think that it would be better for most of them to start the season in Midget AAA.

But I don't think that there will be more than 30 sixteen years old rookies.

Midget AAA season is all but a sure thing with the announcement yesterday I honestly don't know what will happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad