2021 QMJHL Draft

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Is it really a risk when they get two players that are better than Peddle ?
I understand what you're saying. They just decided to go with 2 other players and that's it. My point was only that I wasn't so sure at the beginning that teams picking 2-3-4 would pass on Peddle.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Top 10, unless it's a Lafreniere, Crosby or Mackinnon, I would always prefer 2 players instead on one. Especially this year. I think Halifax had a smart approach.

Qmjhlscout10

May 28, 2021
Looks like most NB guys got screwed in the draft. When will people realize how good the NB talent is?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
One guy i am shocked never got drafted was Gavin Reeves from Halifax Macs...guy was never a player that was highly thought of...surpassed guys with super hard work this year that where drafted...and hearing from inside people the kid works his butt off to better himself...i do not scout any more but I still watch the games for fun....very weird draft all together...I think we will see a lot of guys taken in round 2 and 3 turn out better than half of the guys taken in the 1st.....

I really Liked Gatineau taking the goalie Richardson, I think he will turn out to be a really good QMJHL goalie.

I was pretty sure Drummondville taking Peddle they where going to try to make a three way trade with Sherbrooke, Halifax and themselves....

I am also assuming Nadeau from Fredricton must have told teams he was going NCAA?

Last edited:
Reactions: HkyFan202

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
You were surprised Reeves wasn’t drafted? I was surprised he was on the CSR list and ranked. Reeves had a good growth spurt in bantam that propelled him above others, plus as you said he works hard and does tons of extra private practices. All that said he plays defence and he’s terrible at it lol. Watch closer and you’ll see some real short comings on the common sense field. He’s likely done growing now and I think will just slowly fall off the hockey scene the next few years…..I’m guessing 18 teams of scouts believe that too.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Draft is in the books and I think we can all agree it was quite interesting. The whole Peddle situation is very interesting...Drummondville will spend the year trying to convince him to come, in the meantime they picked some nice talent to support them if he does not.

After the first 4-5 Atlantic picks, my draft board was sent way off.

Here is how Atlantic kids did in the first few rounds. This is one year where a Gatorade Challenge would have played a major role in draft selections.
Round 1 - 6
Round 2 - 3
Round 3 - 7
Round 4 - 6
Round 5 - 5
That makes the #, 27 of the first 92 selections, not a great performance. I guess one could conclude that playing hockey in Atlantic Canada this past season may have actually hurt some prospects.
I am confident that when the dust settles on this draft, there will be some steals and some serious busts. A huge congrats to all this who were drafted, keep working hard and good things will happen.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
You were surprised Reeves wasn’t drafted? I was surprised he was on the CSR list and ranked. Reeves had a good growth spurt in bantam that propelled him above others, plus as you said he works hard and does tons of extra private practices. All that said he plays defence and he’s terrible at it lol. Watch closer and you’ll see some real short comings on the common sense field. He’s likely done growing now and I think will just slowly fall off the hockey scene the next few years…..I’m guessing 18 teams of scouts believe that too.
Boy, your comments are pretty rough on this young man. I never watched him play but common sense in hockey can be learned/taught with repetition, he seems self driven and those type of players should never be kicked to the curb as they are usually the ones that play the game for a long time at all levels.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I expected it, but Patterson and Collette have been undervalued so much it's crazy to me.
I would agree with that. Cape Breton will end up very pleased with selecting Patterson in round 4 as will Bathurst with Collette in round 5. Coughlin to Rim was a great pick, as was Pelletier to RN. The Flyers top d pair will be reunited in Halfax. Moncton picking up MacPhee and Lounsbury were solid picks as well.

I do find it interesting how Bathurst continues to select local players pretty much exclusively. Green, Ryan, Collette, Clements, Henderson to name a few.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
What happened to Samson Mayo, I don't see his name in the draft.
Samson, was a top 5 player in PeeWee as he was physically mature earlier then most kids so his upside was only OK after PeeWee which is understandable for a kid that was so strong early on. He was kindof like Curruthers however he did not continue to develop in the same way.

In regards to this draft, I think there were surprises, however I don't think there were major misses. It's very hard this year without seeing kids play in situations against each other. Nova Scotia did pretty well, PEI did OK, NB did not do well (except for Moncton). This is how I generally saw the year so it makes sense to me on the whole. I want to call out Crosby - Bantam AA (along with Lochead) to 1st round Q pick 2 years later. That is an amazing jump. Squires came in a lot higher then I projected - good for him - hope he makes the best of it. Mackinnon and Coughlin had very solid outings. Burbidge as well. RNS program was respected in the draft. A few surprises there.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Boy, your comments are pretty rough on this young man. I never watched him play but common sense in hockey can be learned/taught with repetition, he seems self driven and those type of players should never be kicked to the curb as they are usually the ones that play the game for a long time at all levels.

maybe harsh yeah, but I’ve seen so many kids advance through bantam with size but no hockey sense, skills or heart. I think Reeves works hard but I don’t think he has much hockey sense and I believe he was at his peak last year. Just my opinion but I’ve seen him play tons last 3 years and he reads the play really poorly. Hopefully I’m wrong and his work ethic gets him another level. We shall see.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
I haven’t seen Samson Mayo play since peewee and I’m really surprised he has dropped off the way he did. He wasn’t just big good back then, he was down right dominant! I’m pretty sure he was hurt for a lot of bantam but man has he ever disappeared!

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Definitely some good Atlantic Canadian talent passed over in this years draft also not as many over aged players missed from last year went in later rounds either. It is unfortunate, teams can only pick 255 players and there are always well over 500 prospects on the final CSR.

Mayo, MacFarlane, White, Hodgson (G), Simon Mullen from Truro & Wilken are all good examples of guys that could have easily been selected in later rounds based on their performance. I spoke with one GM yesterday and he shared that his team had already extended training camp invites to 4-5 guys that were passed over. In his eyes it was a level playing field and they would be treated like any other drafted player coming into camp.

If you are a late bloomer or slipped through the cracks teams will still find a way to see you. Being undrafted at 16 is not that big of deal now a days. All of these type of players will also get a serious look in the upcoming Jr A draft.

Reactions: HkyTalk

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

I use to be one of the 18 teams...personally think the kid is a late bloomer...watched him in bantam...he is a decent stay at home defender but is a good skater...i kjow guys in scouting around here too, all shocked he was not taken...kid was ranked on all 3 csr lists as a c prospect...maybe u should watch him a little more and see what everyone sees in him

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
I think I know what the 18 teams thought, he was not drafted. The CSR was probably the poorest list that has been posted over the years, but likely because of the lack of games. In the end we will see in 3 years who reads this individual and his skill set better. I’d put money on it though.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Don't know about a list but I'd have the following as top 2 round level prospects from Quebec:

- Etienne Morin
- Ethan Gauthier
- Isaac Fecteau
- Loic Goyette
- Matis Ouellet
- Olivier Beaulieu
- Alex Mercier
- Christopher Talbot
- Evan Courtois
- Nathan Grenier
- Eli Baillargeon
- Mathieu Cataford

with guys like Mathieu Wener, Xavier Daigle, Emile Duquet, Emile Perron, Marc-Olivier Beaudry, Maxence Albert, Pierre-Marc Minville, Nathan Baril, Justin Boisselle, Vincent Gauthier, Maxime Coursol, Nathan Ethier, Elliot Simard, Cristiano Spadafora in the mix for top 2 round selections.

Let's see how you did again this year with your June 2020 evaluation:

Étienne Morin - 2nd round
Ethan Gauthier - 1st round
Isaac Fecteau - NCAA so nobody took a chance - drafted USHL - was listed #24 by Hockey Prospect
Loic Goyette - 1st round
Mathis Ouellet - 2nd round`
Olivier Beaulieu - 7th round - NCAA prospect was ranked #31 CSR and #9 by Hockey Prospect
Alex Mercier - 2nd round
Christopher Talbot - Round 10
Evan Courtois - Round 4
Natan Grenier - 1st round
Eli Baillargeon - Round 5
Mathieu Cataford - 1st round
Mathieu Wener - 2nd round
Xavier Daigle - 2nd round
Emile Duquet - Round 5
Émile Perron - 1st round
Marc-Olivier Beaudry - 1st round
Maxence Albert - Round 5
Pierre-Marc Minville - Round 5
Nathan Baril - 1st round
Justin Boisselle - 1st round
Vincent Gauthier - 2nd round
Maxime Coursol - 1st round
Nathan Éthier - Round 3
Elliott Simard - Round 5
Cristiano Spadafora - Round 5

Out of the 30 Quebec players drafted in the first 2 rounds, you had 13 out of 24 you listed. A couple would have been picked if they didn't chose NCAA route.

What impresses me the most is how accurate you are so long before the draft because between 14 and 16 years old, a lot can happen.

I lift my hat to you once again this year!

It will also be interresting to see what happens with those you listed but were not picked by teams in the first two rounds.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Let's see how you did again this year with your June 2020 evaluation:

Étienne Morin - 2nd round
Ethan Gauthier - 1st round
Isaac Fecteau - NCAA so nobody took a chance - drafted USHL - was listed #24 by Hockey Prospect
Loic Goyette - 1st round
Mathis Ouellet - 2nd round`
Olivier Beaulieu - 7th round - NCAA prospect was ranked #31 CSR and #9 by Hockey Prospect
Alex Mercier - 2nd round
Christopher Talbot - Round 10
Evan Courtois - Round 4
Natan Grenier - 1st round
Eli Baillargeon - Round 5
Mathieu Cataford - 1st round
Mathieu Wener - 2nd round
Xavier Daigle - 2nd round
Emile Duquet - Round 5
Émile Perron - 1st round
Marc-Olivier Beaudry - 1st round
Maxence Albert - Round 5
Pierre-Marc Minville - Round 5
Nathan Baril - 1st round
Justin Boisselle - 1st round
Vincent Gauthier - 2nd round
Maxime Coursol - 1st round
Nathan Éthier - Round 3
Elliott Simard - Round 5
Cristiano Spadafora - Round 5

Out of the 30 Quebec players drafted in the first 2 rounds, you had 13 out of 24 you listed. A couple would have been picked if they didn't chose NCAA route.

What impresses me the most is how accurate you are so long before the draft because between 14 and 16 years old, a lot can happen.

I lift my hat to you once again this year!

It will also be interresting to see what happens with those you listed but were not picked by teams in the first two rounds.

To be honest looking back I think I did a pretty bad job. Some of the guys that dropped could have been predicted. Smaller and stocky players that have not grown physically mostly (Talbot, Spadafora, Simard).

As for the others, they have dropped in the realm of what I thought possible for the most part I think.

I will say, though, that I had Bourque as a round 3-4 type of guy at the time, and St-Denis as a round 5-6 guy as well.

Tourigny I really didn't think was a top prospect at the time.

Those have to be the 3 biggest risers of the year for me. Dassylva as well went way higher than I though he would in Bantam.

Last edited:

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
To be honest looking back I think I did a pretty bad job. Some of the guys that dropped could have been predicted. Smaller and stocky players that have not grown physically mostly (Talbot, Spadafora, Simard).

As for the others, they have dropped in the realm of what I thought possible for the most part I think.

I will say, though, that I had Bourque as a round 3-4 type of guy at the time, and St-Denis as a round 5-6 guy as well.

Those have to be the 3 biggest risers of the year for me. Dassylva as well went way higher than I though he would in Bantam.

Its certainly challenging to project a 2nd year bantam to an actual Q round draft, there are certainly going to be some that will plateau and others that will really take a step forward in U18. There is still so much to be decided with this draft, I am not confident that some of the first 3 round selections will pan out to be impact players in the Q. That first year u18 tells you a lot about a player and his potential to adjust at the next level.
Q camps will be very interesting this year and I have my doubts that automatic signings will be handed out freely. Players will need to come to camp, compete and make a roster. Mid Aug to Mid Sept of going to be a real interesting ride for these kids.
As always, Wintersun does an amazing job with his predictions and player reads. As for the Maritime players....his projection on Patterson will be one to keep an eye on, as will Collette, with 4th and 5th round selections they will likely be back in U18 next season. Crosby at #20 was one that thru me for a loop, I had him round 3-4, so that is one I will be watching closely, I am pulling for him to make in impact in Halifax. Todd ended up in a good situation, he will like play with the Sag's, next season as they need bodies.
Gerhart not getting picked came as a surprise to me....but I said in my earlier post....with the exception of 3-4 players....the Atlantic kids dropped a round or 2 last Saturday.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec

Dont be so hard on yourself. You predicted one year ago. The draft took place few days ago and the teams were able to follow players for the last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad