2021 QMJHL Draft

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Let's see how you did again this year with your June 2020 evaluation:

Étienne Morin - 2nd round
Ethan Gauthier - 1st round
Isaac Fecteau - NCAA so nobody took a chance - drafted USHL - was listed #24 by Hockey Prospect
Loic Goyette - 1st round
Mathis Ouellet - 2nd round`
Olivier Beaulieu - 7th round - NCAA prospect was ranked #31 CSR and #9 by Hockey Prospect
Alex Mercier - 2nd round
Christopher Talbot - Round 10
Evan Courtois - Round 4
Natan Grenier - 1st round
Eli Baillargeon - Round 5
Mathieu Cataford - 1st round
Mathieu Wener - 2nd round
Xavier Daigle - 2nd round
Emile Duquet - Round 5
Émile Perron - 1st round
Marc-Olivier Beaudry - 1st round
Maxence Albert - Round 5
Pierre-Marc Minville - Round 5
Nathan Baril - 1st round
Justin Boisselle - 1st round
Vincent Gauthier - 2nd round
Maxime Coursol - 1st round
Nathan Éthier - Round 3
Elliott Simard - Round 5
Cristiano Spadafora - Round 5

Out of the 30 Quebec players drafted in the first 2 rounds, you had 13 out of 24 you listed. A couple would have been picked if they didn't chose NCAA route.

What impresses me the most is how accurate you are so long before the draft because between 14 and 16 years old, a lot can happen.

I lift my hat to you once again this year!

It will also be interresting to see what happens with those you listed but were not picked by teams in the first two rounds.

Mathieu Wener would have been a 1st rounder but he's leaning towards NCAA.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

archie

Apr 5, 2018
\
Its certainly challenging to project a 2nd year bantam to an actual Q round draft, there are certainly going to be some that will plateau and others that will really take a step forward in U18. There is still so much to be decided with this draft, I am not confident that some of the first 3 round selections will pan out to be impact players in the Q. That first year u18 tells you a lot about a player and his potential to adjust at the next level.
Q camps will be very interesting this year and I have my doubts that automatic signings will be handed out freely. Players will need to come to camp, compete and make a roster. Mid Aug to Mid Sept of going to be a real interesting ride for these kids.
As always, Wintersun does an amazing job with his predictions and player reads. As for the Maritime players....his projection on Patterson will be one to keep an eye on, as will Collette, with 4th and 5th round selections they will likely be back in U18 next season. Crosby at #20 was one that thru me for a loop, I had him round 3-4, so that is one I will be watching closely, I am pulling for him to make in impact in Halifax. Todd ended up in a good situation, he will like play with the Sag's, next season as they need bodies.
Gerhart not getting picked came as a surprise to me....but I said in my earlier post....with the exception of 3-4 players....the Atlantic kids dropped a round or 2 last Saturday.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
On another forum, someone points out that Peddle was 0,98 point per game but Thifault was 1,27 point per game in the same league. Both are 2005 player. Why was he ranked so low by CSR?

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
On another forum, someone points out that Peddle was 0,98 point per game but Thifault was 1,27 point per game in the same league. Both are 2005 player. Why was he ranked so low by CSR?
Probably because he’s been playing in the US for a while and they thought he may go the American route.

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
Probably because he’s been playing in the US for a while and they thought he may go the American route.
After seeing this draft, which teams do you think are going to be at the top for the next few seasons? Sherbrooke, Gatineau, Remparts and Halifax all look solid to me.

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021
CSR has nothing to do with intentions.
Draft rank is.

It is up to each team to make contact and find out.

Based on CSR’s evaluation, it means one is clearly better prospect than the other

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
MJHL Draft this weekend, I would think this would be plan B for a few 2005's rather then a return to Prep School or U 18 Midget. Pelletier and Henderson both territorial picks would be at the top of that list. Is Jr A a better option for 16's then a return to U18?

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
MJHL Draft this weekend, I would think this would be plan B for a few 2005's rather then a return to Prep School or U 18 Midget. Pelletier and Henderson both territorial picks would be at the top of that list. Is Jr A a better option for 16's then a return to U18?
Your question has been asked by players since the game of hockey started. Not a easy question to answer but I'll try...To play at the highest level possible or stay in present age group with hopes of more ice time and develop skills at a lower and slower pace hockey. Your question can not be answered by putting all players under the same blanket. Each individual player has qualities of their play that is the deciding factor IMO. Example, a player may be smallish and a play maker and has developed skills of avoiding body contact, their role is to control play 5 on 5 and on PP.... This type of player may lean to moving up as their ability and skills are the same at both levels as the puck size does not change and game pace of avoidance of body contact will come naturally . Now a 5'10" @ 160pounds player that has a skill set of energy and forcing the play with physical play may need to stay in U18 league to develop in size before playing in the higher ranks as their style of play will be less affective. Everyone will have an opinion on this topic and have stories each way of a player having success each way with different skill sets. I like to think of it this way, a player will feel more comfortable at the lower level and have a quicker impact in the league @ U18 level during their second year. But also I feel that each player should reach their top play at a certain level and have a great year at U18 level before moving up, this may take one year or two or three years, the player will know themselves when they are ready and if they ask what to do then they are not ready for J'A level and even less ready for the Q.... They should feel satisfied and have nothing more to prove at one level before thinking of an earlier jump up, there is no better feeling a player has than the feeling that they belong in the league they are playing in because the other side of the coin is that they struggle and they will begin to hate the sport and then the end of hockey for them is near, you don't want that. So basically I'm saying talk to your son's and daughter's before you put an action plan in place, as it should be clear to them and to you as a parent/hockey mentor.

It is definitely better to be playing above the level of players in U18 and be called up a few times into higher leagues instead of playing in the higher league and with little success be sent down permanently.

Last edited:

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
After seeing this draft, which teams do you think are going to be at the top for the next few seasons? Sherbrooke, Gatineau, Remparts and Halifax all look solid to me.

Remparts will be the top team.

Halifax with the 04 draft will be good. Not a big fan of the players they took this year. They will have the biggest jump this year.

Gatineau didn't have a first pick and they also loaded up last year but they have a a gap. They need a few good 18 year old players.

Sherbrooke will take one more year i don't expect them to take a big jump.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Personally, its an easy decision for 95% of the players. Q or U18 at 16, that's the options ( not included Prep). The Q will always have a handful of 16's and plenty of 17's and 18's, it's a faster brand of hockey where a 16 year old over time can adjust. Jr A, with the modified rule of 8 20's, it's without question a heavier league, limited development, 16's don't see much ice and it's not nearly as skilled and not a place for 95% of the 16's. Henderson and Pelletier may actually fall into the 5%, for the simple reason that a return to their local U18 programs are likely not a great fit and staying with Prep if the Q is their path makes no sense. Henderson going back to U18 in the Valley would never happen, Pelletier is in a similar boat with Freddy. Both players could find themselves in Jr A next season, or for Pelletier maybe even the Q.
Let's not be in a rush, U18 is a very good league and there is nothing wrong with playing there as a 16 year old. Telus is in CB this year, so if that is not incentive enough to return to U18, you shouldn't be playing the game.

Reactions: archie

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Lol I just hope the Habs can execute like that tonight!
They did alright, big heart in that team, I'm not a HABS fan to say but I was pushing for them to win. Came up short but their team structure is well ahead of many teams.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
I didn’t realize how poor the draft was for Newfoundland. If I’m not mistaking they had Rotondi, Strapp, and a goalie Warren really late and that’s it!! Wow

Two more Newfie’s were drafted that had moved away though..Mitchell Wagner played in Dartmouth and Thomas Chafe played at Notre Dame I think, and was drafted to the O.

still tough year. Hope the 2006 crowd has more depth.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Many reasons can happen for this...I was a scout in the league for 10 years so...one you can not scout by stats, situations these players are in are different that you can not see by numbers, things like better linemates, more playing time, game stratagy, if they have guys like Peddle trying to get better on defensive game than offense since they know he can play offense....two, this year was different than most, I find in the QMJHL draft a lot of Maritime guys got the shaft in the draft, not sure if that was due to a lot of head scouts or scouts in general where unable to watch these guys play so they where picking names that where familier to them, i see a TON of steals coming from this 2021 QMJHL draft, probably guys who went 3rd or 4th round if the season was on would have been 2nd to 1st rounders but no one will know.....Peddle I can say is one of the better goal scorers i have seen in the Maritimes in some time, I only watched his Bantam 1st year but the guy was better than a lot of guys i watched in the past....but like someone else here too, if the player has expressed interest in the USA route, he will be ranked low for the draft.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Many reasons can happen for this...I was a scout in the league for 10 years so...one you can not scout by stats, situations these players are in are different that you can not see by numbers, things like better linemates, more playing time, game stratagy, if they have guys like Peddle trying to get better on defensive game than offense since they know he can play offense....two, this year was different than most, I find in the QMJHL draft a lot of Maritime guys got the shaft in the draft, not sure if that was due to a lot of head scouts or scouts in general where unable to watch these guys play so they where picking names that where familier to them, i see a TON of steals coming from this 2021 QMJHL draft, probably guys who went 3rd or 4th round if the season was on would have been 2nd to 1st rounders but no one will know.....Peddle I can say is one of the better goal scorers i have seen in the Maritimes in some time, I only watched his Bantam 1st year but the guy was better than a lot of guys i watched in the past....but like someone else here too, if the player has expressed interest in the USA route, he will be ranked low for the draft.

I would agree with you if one player was 2nd overall and the other one 42nd overall.

In the situation that I pointed out, the second overall pick expressed an interest in the USA route and was still 2nd overall with a point per game ratio a bit lower than the other guy playing in the same league that may have showed interest for the NCAA as well. That guy was ranked 145th and lower!!!

I understand that stats doesn't say it all. I just don't understand why the gap is so big between the two.

My guess is that the player was forgot by CSR and a team or a few teams added him before the list was published. Hockey Prospect had him in their TOP 50.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Saw Thifault at a few showcases just before the draft. Was worth a second round pick to me.

And since I'm not a huge Peddle fan, I'd say they are not that far off in terms of quality as prospects. The difference in their draft ranking is too big for me, but that was to be expected.

A lot of the draft was driven by reputation and hype this year.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Saw Thifault at a few showcases just before the draft. Was worth a second round pick to me.

And since I'm not a huge Peddle fan, I'd say they are not that far off in terms of quality as prospects. The difference in their draft ranking is too big for me, but that was to be expected.

Reputation and Hype, that describes the past draft to a T. Well said!

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec

That's the read I was looking for.

Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad