2021 QMJHL Draft

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
As far as Quebec is concerned, it is an excellent year for the Q. There were three top-3 round prospects from Quebec seriously considering the NCAA: Olivier Beaulieu, Mathieu Wener and Beck Majdell.

Majdell just reported to BB and Wener signed with Quebec right after the draft.

Beaulieu left after 48 hours.

From Quebec I noticed:
Nault BB
Madjell BB
Damphousse CHA
Durocher DRU
Heroux HFX commitment to Vermont
Gauthier SHE assume injury?
Brisebois SHE

Anyone know if these kids are just keeping eligibility or is there more to it?

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Half of the 04s last year were kept because there was no Midget and teams wanted their prospects to keep developping. That's all there is to it.

05s have not played Midget yet, it's not surprising that more of them would be sent down until at least Christmas. I actually think the 05s were extremely deep, but the top end talent was a bit lacking outside Gauthier.
Your last statement is hard to understand, can you explain further.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Half of the 04s last year were kept because there was no Midget and teams wanted their prospects to keep developping. That's all there is to it.

05s have not played Midget yet, it's not surprising that more of them would be sent down until at least Christmas. I actually think the 05s were extremely deep, but the top end talent was a bit lacking outside Gauthier.
Agree 100%. Making the league 1t 16 is a great accomplishment, but it's not always the best indication of the talent pool, that's all I am saying. Of the 38 that made it last year, 10-15 made an impact , no different then most years. If the league published a TOI stat, I could make my point much better....several of the 38 did not play much.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Your last statement is hard to understand, can you explain further.

The 05s in Quebec have not even played Midget yet. It is normal that QMJHL teams would send them back instead of having them jump from Bantam to the Q directly. I expect some of them will be recalled during the holidays and play in the Q to finish the season.

I think the 05s were a very deep crop. I had 4 rounds full of solid players. However, half the players drafted in the first round I'm not convinced will be high-end players at the QMJHL level. Outside of Gauthier, I don't think the top 5 or 10 was very strong for the 05s compared to other drafts.

In comparison, the 06s have a very strong top 10 in my opinion (but no clear 1st overall) but they lack depth. The cut-off to where I think players will have a solid impact in the Q is after the top 50 or so instead of the top 70 for the 05s.

Rocket18

Jun 11, 2019
A lot of teams have posted rosters, is there a count at the moment for Atlantic players cracking the roster?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
A lot of teams have posted rosters, is there a count at the moment for Atlantic players cracking the roster?

Peddle
Coughlin
MacKinnon
Rotondi
Gendron
Crosby
Squires
Ryan
Allen
Henderson

I think are the players that are still with their team from the Maritimes. I'm curious to see if Henderson really makes the team, I know the Titan has traded for a forward from Shawinigan yesterday.

SWNBhockey

Apr 22, 2021
Peddle
Coughlin
MacKinnon
Rotondi
Gendron
Crosby
Squires
Ryan
Allen
Henderson

I think are the players that are still with their team from the Maritimes. I'm curious to see if Henderson really makes the team, I know the Titan has traded for a forward from Shawinigan yesterday.

Dickie still in SJ camp i believe

Rocket18

Jun 11, 2019
Peddle
Coughlin
MacKinnon
Rotondi
Gendron
Crosby
Squires
Ryan
Allen
Henderson

I understood Crosby was cut? Perhaps I am wrong

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Crosby is still with Halifax. Sags have 16 F's on their roster, I would be surprised if they keep all 16 for long. Henderson is a great story, whether he sticks or not, he has impressed the brass in Bathurst.

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
Agree 100%. Making the league 1t 16 is a great accomplishment, but it's not always the best indication of the talent pool, that's all I am saying. Of the 38 that made it last year, 10-15 made an impact , no different then most years. If the league published a TOI stat, I could make my point much better....several of the 38 did not play much.
How do you measure impact?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Crosby is still with Halifax. Sags have 16 F's on their roster, I would be surprised if they keep all 16 for long. Henderson is a great story, whether he sticks or not, he has impressed the brass in Bathurst.

Sags have 4 20 years old on their roster so you can cut one player there to make it 15. The two euros aren't there yet so I assume the young players will have some ice until then. It will be interesting to see what happens afterwards. I don't think they would have kept the 16 years old and announced them on the roster at their golfing event to only cut them a few months later. I assume other players will get cut before them. Also worth noting that Allen is injured and I don't know when he'll get to play.

Reactions: Rocket18

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Peddle
Coughlin
MacKinnon
Rotondi
Gendron
Crosby
Squires
Ryan
Allen
Henderson

Cameron Henderson is in Titan Roster
https://twitter.com/mamenshockey

Last edited:

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Sam Bowness plays with Mount u18 this year.

Mount release U18-1 roster today.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
He should re think that move. Better hockey in the Maritimes Major U18 league plus trying to get into Quebec this winter and US will be near impossible come November 21.

Rocket18

Jun 11, 2019
He should re think that move. Better hockey in the Maritimes Major U18 league plus trying to get into Quebec this winter and US will be near impossible come November 21.
I think Mount represented well at the draft last year, didn't they? Even with the COVID restrictions.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
I think Mount represented well at the draft last year, didn't they? Even with the COVID restrictions.

Interesting seems if affordable the Mount has a combination of education, and sporting activities that should further advance student in both area's! Travel could well be an issue however players may get call-ups from the teams that drafted them...from time to time if they fit that calibre

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad