2021 Pre-Season Friendlies

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
LFC vs Mainz 0-0 at halftime.

1st half standouts were Konate and Keita. Tsimikas and Elliott have also been lively. Starters are all out though.

It’s very clear that this team is hurting for another holding midfielder without Fabinho or even Henderson available. While they are trying to replace Wijnaldum, they need more of a 6/8 than an box to box or a 8/10. They are also trying Harvey Elliott a bit in the midfield too. Between Chamberlain, Jones, Keita & Elliott they have enough cover in those spots. They have nobody else that can hold the midfield.

LFC win 1-0. Owen Beck and Kaide Gordon impressed again. Winning goal was an own goal from a Beck cross that Gordon would have scored if the defender didn’t touch it first. Gordon especially has really impressed this preseason so far.

Don't assume you paid any attention to Mainz, but did Nebel or Papela flash for them? Nebel's a very crafty 18yo and Papela was an exciting talent before stagnating the past two years.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Don't assume you paid any attention to Mainz, but did Nebel or Papela flash for them? Nebel's a very crafty 18yo and Papela was an exciting talent before stagnating the past two years.
Mainz didn’t really show anything. They were pretty physical but no one really stood out for me. Both only got the first half against LFC A team. Might rewatch some highlights eventually and will let you know

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mainz didn’t really show anything. They were pretty physical but no one really stood out for me. Both only got the first half against LFC A team. Might rewatch some highlights eventually and will let you know
That's what I had figured...not only because of the difference in class between you & Mainz, but also because Nebel is just getting started at the senior level...but was curious if those two had any scenes that stood out as I do like Nebel quite a bit & Papela was very interesting at the youth levels.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rhein with a great cross to Nianzou puts Bayern up 2-1 a couple minutes into the 2nd half. Hope to see Arrey-Mbi against this level of opposition.

Victor Jensen with a nice take to make it 2-2.

A nice corner from Rhein almost sets Upa up for the 3-2. Kid has really flashed nicely in both of their friendlies I've watched. Combative, creative & talented, the little midfielder seems to be playing his way into Nagelsmann's plans.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Watching 6-8 kids standing on the sidelines waiting to sub in during a friendly always cracks me up :laugh:

Bright Arrey-Mbi :heart::heart::heart: Love how aggressively he uses his quickness defensively. If he develops well the kid is going to be a stud.

Jamie Lawrence looks 8 feet tall :laugh:

Motika has stood out since checking in. Ditto Tillman.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rhein with a great cross to Nianzou puts Bayern up 2-1 a couple minutes into the 2nd half.
You mean Kouassi right?
How has he looked so far?
If Nagelsmann likes his CB to actually be good with their feet AND in the air while not being slow, Kouassi might see some time.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Khadra looking good for Brighton right now. Has the team's best chance thus far into the game.

New away kits look great in action as well.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arsenal beat Millwall 4-1. Goals from Balogun, Pepe, Lacazette and Chambers. Lokonga has gotten a lot of praise apparently, I didn’t watch the game though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You mean Kouassi right?
How has he looked so far?
If Nagelsmann likes his CB to actually be good with their feet AND in the air while not being slow, Kouassi might see some time.
I missed the first half, so only saw him play for 17 minutes in which he didn't get to do too much other than score his goal...ajax's goal was just a great take by Jensen so I don't blame any of the defenders...but I've liked him during his previous cameos; like you say, the tools are certainly there.

Nianzou should certainly see more PT this season with Lucas' injury; as he looks readier than Richards, Arrey-Mbi, or Lawrence...and Arrey is the only one whose realistic-ceiling looks even higher...so he should be 4th on the depth chart behind Upamecano, Süle, & Pavard.

...and we'll see if Süle can get back on track now that he's been reunited with Nagelsmann, or if he keeps losing confidence & playing worse...

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Fun to see the double standards.
No double standard what so ever. Sam isn’t good enough to play even in a marginal role. Combine that with his contract… it’s time to go.

There really is no comparison pique is miles better

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This isn't surprising but McKennie is looking really good again. I tried to say Liverpool should sign him from Schalke but now it's too late. Cost would be way too high now and especially after this upcoming season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pique has been awful and today he was embarrassing.
They even let him shoot a penalty to get going and shot a terrible penalty (that the goalie managed to put in his own goal).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pique has been awful and today he was embarrassing.
They even let him shoot a penalty to get going and shot a terrible penalty (that the goalie managed to put in his own goal).
Didn’t watch today’s match left after 10 mins to enjoy my day. But Sam based off last seasons play is much much worse. You must see this. Amazing that you don’t.

Reactions: les Habs

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Didn’t watch today’s match left after 10 mins to enjoy my day. But Sam based off last seasons play is much much worse. You must see this. Amazing that you don’t.
Nope, Sam barely played (and played badly).
Pique played all he could and played badly.
Same boat for me.
Yet I never see you asking for his departure while he's a huge part of the problem.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Nope, Sam barely played (and played badly).
Pique played all he could and played badly.
Same boat for me.
Yet I never see you asking for his departure while he's a huge part of the problem.
Probably because he has played good for a decade and Sam looks like a junior player right now. Pique is better that’s clear

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pique looks like a veteran (like retired players) right now. He doesn't run, he doesn't even try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad