2021 Pre-Season Friendlies

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would say I agree they probably overachieved. But I also think some of that could be down to whether or not their attacking players are actually decent or not. I think they could be, and a few might have even more upside. But yeah, defending is going to be the issue.

Their attackers have talent & pace so they should score plenty of goals on the season...but they're not very good at breaking teams down when they're organized & revert to a lot of crosses to notKoller. So they're not just banking on their attackers overcoming their defenders, they're also reliant on their opponents giving them the space for their attackers to take advantage of their speed on the break.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Their attackers have talent & pace so they should score plenty of goals on the season...but they're not very good at breaking teams down when they're organized & revert to a lot of crosses to notKoller. So they're not just banking on their attackers overcoming their defenders, they're also reliant on their opponents giving them the space for their attackers to take advantage of their speed on the break.
I agree. But they’re good enough to be top half of the table with a bit of improvement and injury luck. I think there’s a few younger players who could improve other areas, but they’ll score enough for sure

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
On a roster note, Phillips not playing must mean they think Brighton will do the business for him.

edit note, I think everyone would be fine with keeping him as 5/6th choice, but if he wants to play, and they can make 15 for him? It works best for all parties.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
On a roster note, Phillips not playing must mean they think Brighton will do the business for him.

edit note, I think everyone would be fine with keeping him as 5/6th choice, but if he wants to play, and they can make 15 for him? It works best for all parties.
He will go because it’ll be too much money for him not to, but LFC really should not be moving any homegrown players right now until they get some internationals out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree. But they’re good enough to be top half of the table with a bit of improvement and injury luck. I think there’s a few younger players who could improve other areas, but they’ll score enough for sure
They should be in the mix and could certainly shoot up the table...as there's a lot of uncertainty behind Bayern at the top of the table...but this could be a very topsy turvy season; even the smaller clubs have been doing very solid work, and there isn't any one that I can point to as a certain disaster in the making.

Hertha seems like they could be the biggest mess if they can't sell any of the players they want to remove from their locker-room...but if they can shed those potential malcontents, I like them rebooting around their young talent. They've had a good academy for years & have done a poor job of integrating those players in recent years. So turning to that youth instead of splashing their cash around on higher-profile dudes who change clubs every other year, could be the best possible thing for them.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Puig was the best in that half. Koeman will bench him until December as a reward.

the new kid Demir looked good too. Couple of loose passes tho. Other than that he looked like he fit.

pique was solid too mostly not looking injured I mean.

hoping to see Ramos and Gavi/collado in the second half

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sounds like it was an easy match and it can be difficult taking a lot from preseason, especially the first couple of matches, but I'm reading some interesting things:
  • Riqui played well? Certainly hope so. Sounds like he set up Sergi nicely.
  • Gavi apparently looked very good. Another gem from what I've seen, but they have to be careful with him. Either way glad to see him at least be a part of preseason.
  • Collado apparently needs to make the first team or he'll be sold, no return trip to the B team. I think he's got a good chance with Trincao being loaned, but maybe Demir gets in the way?
  • Manaj with the hattrick and yet it sounded like he was all but sold? Not sure why he's playing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Abdou Kamara, Faroukou Cisse, and Jamie Bynoe-Gittens are the kids that made the trip with the first team for the second stage of Dortmund’s preseason. It sounds like Nnamdi Collins won’t be fit to play during this stage of preseason, which might’ve opened up the spot for Cisse.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sounds like it was an easy match and it can be difficult taking a lot from preseason, especially the first couple of matches, but I'm reading some interesting things:
  • Riqui played well? Certainly hope so. Sounds like he set up Sergi nicely.
  • Gavi apparently looked very good. Another gem from what I've seen, but they have to be careful with him. Either way glad to see him at least be a part of preseason.
  • Collado apparently needs to make the first team or he'll be sold, no return trip to the B team. I think he's got a good chance with Trincao being loaned, but maybe Demir gets in the way?
  • Manaj with the hattrick and yet it sounded like he was all but sold? Not sure why he's playing.

Is Manaj sold? Surely looked ready to play some first team minutes as a back-up of sorts.

I dunno, maybe just overreaction from that one game after I checked further on him

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He’s in his mid 20s playing against some scrubs.

depay, Kun,Fati so I don’t think they need any others

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Just saw some highlights:
  • Riqui’s ball to Sergi was excellent. He also drew that red card by pressing. Koeman better f***ing play him this year.
  • Sergi got in scoring positions a couple of times. If he agrees to take a pay cut I would hold onto him and use him as a utility player.
  • Abe’s cross for the third goal was really good.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
LFC vs Mainz 0-0 at halftime.

1st half standouts were Konate and Keita. Tsimikas and Elliott have also been lively. Starters are all out though.

It’s very clear that this team is hurting for another holding midfielder without Fabinho or even Henderson available. While they are trying to replace Wijnaldum, they need more of a 6/8 than an box to box or a 8/10. They are also trying Harvey Elliott a bit in the midfield too. Between Chamberlain, Jones, Keita & Elliott they have enough cover in those spots. They have nobody else that can hold the midfield.

LFC win 1-0. Owen Beck and Kaide Gordon impressed again. Winning goal was an own goal from a Beck cross that Gordon would have scored if the defender didn’t touch it first. Gordon especially has really impressed this preseason so far.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
QPR scored 3 goals in about 5 minutes against the young United squad and lead 4-1. The young defense was exploited hard.

Lingard scored United's goal in the first half after great passing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad