2021 Pre-Season Friendlies

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Glad to see young Dardai leading Berlin's B-team over these jokers :sarcasm:

I think McKennie is a little overrated. Not really sure what he does. Italy is the perfect league for him because he is too athletic for Serie A, but doesn’t really do anything stand out. Think he is in the best possible spot (for USMNT at least) for now

tbf that's exactly what Gini was when he signed with Liverpool.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Glad to see young Dardai leading Berlin's B-team over these jokers :sarcasm:

tbf that's exactly what Gini was when he signed with Liverpool.
Ehhh yes and no. I can kind of see the comparison but McKennie has never shown the offense that Wijnaldum showed in Eredivise or even at Newcastle

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I hate that I'm letting myself get excited about young german CBs again. I think Uduokhai is ready (or will be by the WM) to join Klostermann on either side of Hummels / Ginter / Süle for the senior team. While Bella Kotchap, Arrey-Mbi, & Dardai have some really intriguing tools+skill; as they look set to establish themselves at the 1st league level this season.

...life was easier when I knew our CBs had no chance of not getting exposed. I should head back to the lab before Marton makes another lovely pass...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ehhh yes and no. I can kind of see the comparison but McKennie has never shown the offense that Wijnaldum showed in Eredivise or even at Newcastle

I may be under-estimating/misremembering what he showed in the Netherlands, but I don't think there's a substantial difference between what he showed at Newcastle/the start of his LFC career & what McKennie has.

Obviously just because one lump of clay was able to polish his game to an impressive level doesn't mean every similar lump of clay will do the same, but I do think they are similar lumps of clay.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I may be under-estimating/misremembering what he showed in the Netherlands, but I don't think there's a substantial difference between what he showed at Newcastle/the start of his LFC career & what McKennie has.

Obviously just because one lump of clay was able to polish his game to an impressive level doesn't mean every similar lump of clay will do the same, but I do think they are similar lumps of clay.
Wijnaldum had double digit goals in 5 of the 6 seasons before moving to Liverpool. McKennie has 11 total goals since debut for Schalke in 16-17.

McKennie could be a fit for Liverpool. But I think what they clearly need in the midfield right now is more of a pure holding player.

Reactions: luiginb and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wijnaldum had double digit goals in 5 of the 6 seasons before moving to Liverpool. McKennie has 11 total goals since debut for Schalke in 16-17.

McKennie could be a fit for Liverpool. But I think what they clearly need in the midfield right now is more of a pure holding player.

Guess I was misremembering his Dutch days :thumbu:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Jovetic has certainly fit in nicely with Hertha. Did he already had a pre-season in France or is he starting just now?

Hertha now probably has too many attacking players, some of them need to be moved out on loan at least.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Gini was an attacking player until his move to Liverpool. Can't compare those goal totals to a CM. He has 10 league goals in the last 4 seasons.

Crazy stat I noticed looking at his transfermarkt profile he hasn't registered an assist in the league since April of 2018. 3 straight seasons without one.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
4-3 Berlin win. Really fun game.

LFC easily could have won. Was the much better team in the 2nd half especially. Berlin scored all their half chances.

Great to see Virgil and Gomez back on the pitch and that’s really all that matters.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I haven't seen any of the pre-season games, but it seems Liverpool are experimenting by playing Elliott in a more central position? I love that, If he can figure out the position I think that's where he can have the most success with Liverpool. He's not the typical Liverpool winger these days the way he plays

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jovetic has certainly fit in nicely with Hertha. Did he already had a pre-season in France or is he starting just now?

Hertha now probably has too many attacking players, some of them need to be moved out on loan at least.

Yeah, their summer has been weird. Tons of rumors about them wanting to sell some of their attackers who may not have the mindset that they want in the locker-room, with more hard-working/veteran alternatives like Jovetic & Radonjic getting brought in/back to replace them, while rumors persist linking them to Kostic & Ajax's Ekkelenkamp.

...but Lukebakio, Cunha & Dilrosun are all still there; with Cordoba being the only confirmed departure to this point. I get that with Cunha they are probably waiting until the Olympics end, but that neither of other two has been sold yet is surprising...but Hertha gunna Hertha :dunno:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Without any surprise, Saliba and Guendouzi are impressing A LOT with Marseille.
Saliba's technical quality, coupled with him being a rock on D is changing the whole OM defense.
Guendouzi's ability to pass AND move immediately to break pressing has also been a key to their midfield.
Kamara has also been great, played in various positions. He's in the shopping window but Monaco has refused to met the 30M pricetag (one year remaining).

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Saliba's technical quality, coupled with him being a rock on D is changing the whole OM defense.
Guendouzi's ability to pass AND move immediately to break pressing has also been a key to their midfield.
Kamara has also been great, played in various positions. He's in the shopping window but Monaco has refused to met the 30M pricetag (one year remaining).

Chelsea should sign him if they can't get Declan Rice for a reasonable price. Kamara can replace Ngolo Kante in the near future.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

I've seen Kamara linked to some EPL teams as well. Any reason why he's in the shopping window?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He's in his last year, he won't resign and OM need the money and can't afford to lose him for nothing (like Thauvin this summer).

Reactions: phisherman

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Another goal for Memphis. I wonder how many he'll bag for Barca this season. Over/under 20?

(What a freaking goal it was, too)

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Another goal for Memphis. I wonder how many he'll bag for Barca this season. Over/under 20?

(What a freaking goal it was, too)

Very nice. I read about it but they didn't show the goal. Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of that match, he's only 16:

Have a look @Vasilevskiy and stop worrying about Moriba.

Also, if anyone has a clip of Koeman's reaction when Riqui scored I'd appreciate. I want to verify that he wasn't sleeping.

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3