Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Do we really have any faith he's going the 4 x 4 route vs 7 x 3?
We don’t have any insight one way or the other. But using common sense, would you protect Fleury or would you protect Jones and Heinen, for example?

If he loses a young, cost-controlled top 4 guy at the expense of 2 bottom 6’ers... well, that would certainly rival the last expansion draft fiasco. I would laugh and cry at the same time if he did something even more ridiculous like protect Silf or Henrique.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
We don’t have any insight one way or the other. But using common sense, would you protect Fleury or would you protect Jones and Heinen, for example?

If he loses a young, cost-controlled top 4 guy at the expense of 2 bottom 6’ers... well, that would certainly rival the last expansion draft fiasco. I would laugh and cry at the same time if he did something even more ridiculous like protect Silf or Henrique.
Plot twist, they will trade away Fleury and a 1st round pick to take Shattenkirk.

Kidding....but who knows.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We NEED to get Hoffman to help develop zegras... Man he's looked good these playoffs. He's got some skill and that shot wow.

Hoffman is 32 early next season and he’s either going to be signing with a team that gives him term or for a contender. It won’t be us.

Also not sure he’s someone that would help develop the young guys - a good complementary linemate maybe but not a leader. His defensive work ethic is pretty suspect, he’s a one trick pony.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Hoffman is probably a pipe dream. I doubt he wants to go to a rebuilding team at age 32. And even if he did, I really think it isn't a smart signing unless it is for a 1 or 2 year deal.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Hoffman is 32 early next season and he’s either going to be signing with a team that gives him term or for a contender. It won’t be us.

Also not sure he’s someone that would help develop the young guys - a good complementary linemate maybe but not a leader. His defensive work ethic is pretty suspect, he’s a one trick pony.

Yeah I don't really get that one at all. I mean, we need goal scoring and that's his one trick, but he's older than the guys already on the team deemed too old to keep around and plays the position we're deepest at. I guess I wouldn't say no depending on some things but I dunno, not very high up on my list of desires.

And you're 100% right he's not going to a team in the basement unless it's a number too good to say no to, and I don't think anyone here should want that.

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
Hoffman has been on my list for players to acquire for many many years. I couldn't believe how cheap he was acquired for previously, especially knowing of our current goal scoring limitations.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hoffman is probably a pipe dream. I doubt he wants to go to a rebuilding team at age 32. And even if he did, I really think it isn't a smart signing unless it is for a 1 or 2 year deal.

I agree that they need to land a top 6 scorer trade or free agency, Hoffman would be good if he came to Anaheim but yeah his age and likely wants to be on a contender doesn’t fit the situation for him or the Ducks.

I think they could make a run at Reinhart, yeah sure he doesn’t want to be on a rebuilding team but he is only 25 yo and is still a RFA. I mean anything has to be better than Buffalo, right? Lol

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018

Overpay him by 20% for a year and retain 50% to trade him to a contender for assets at the TDL. He gets to go to a team that doesnt suck after building up some value here, he gets paid more for the year, ducks get assets in exchange for their capspace.

Unless he wants long term security, in which case he wont sign here.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I'd like to see us ship our first to Buffalo for Reinhart (unless it is 1st overall, then maybe i'd hesitate) and sign him to a 7 or 8 year deal, ship our second to Seattle in exchange for the Kraken to select Henrique (retain some $ or add a prospect if necessary), and sign Hoffman to a big dollar 1 year deal similar to what Buffalo did with Hall this year, with the understanding that we'll retain and trade him to a contender at the deadline if we aren't in the playoff hunt.

I genuinely think we are a low-end playoff team with Reinhart and Hoffman added to the top six and powerplay and one more year of development for all the kids. Getting rid of the Henrique deal and not committing long-term to Hoffman means we'll have a ton of cap space to resign Lindholm, Rakell, Fleury, and Manson and address whatever holes are left to reach the next step.

Comtois-Zegras-Rakell
Hoffman-Reinhart-Terry
Volkov-Lundestrom-Silf
Jones-Getzlaf-Grant
Steel/Deslauriers

I'll be content if none of that happens too, and we end up with a nice draft, but it's food for thought.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What is in it for Hoffman to sign with the Ducks, can the Ducks offer him a chance at a cup ?

Hoffman also hurts the draft pick rank in 2022 where if the Ducks were to finish dead last they'd have at least the #3 overall pick which means they get at least Savoie.
The Ducks still have veterans to help the young players grow like Henrique, Rakell, Silf, etc and they could even move Rakell at the deadline to help the rebuild.
How do we know that Hoffman wouldn't suddenly play with less effort if he was on the Ducks ? or suddenly have a decline at age 33

Reactions: 405Entrance

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm lost here. Do we or don't we want to acquire talent to help us win? There's nothing wrong with kicking tires on Hoffman. If the team is able to sign Hoffman and keep our first round pick, then that's the best of both worlds of improving today and improving tomorrow. Let's say we're able to acquire Reinhart early in the off-season without losing our 2021 first round pick and then make a pitch to Hoffman on a two year/three year term?

If people don't like Hoffman for various reasons, then I can understand that. Yet, what other ideas can you bring that can help the org today? We were involved in 29 one-score games this year, which is over 50% of our games played for the season (51.8%). In those one-goal games, we were 10-10-9 and left 29 points behind. What can help the Ducks gain half of those points left on the ice? Also, beating teams in our division decreases that gap. I was gonna say to go after Hall, but he seems content with signing an extension with the Bruins.

Reactions: Masch78

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm lost here. Do we or don't we want to acquire talent to help us win? There's nothing wrong with kicking tires on Hoffman. If the team is able to sign Hoffman and keep our first round pick, then that's the best of both worlds of improving today and improving tomorrow. Let's say we're able to acquire Reinhart early in the off-season without losing our 2021 first round pick and then make a pitch to Hoffman on a two year/three year term?

If people don't like Hoffman for various reasons, then I can understand that. Yet, what other ideas can you bring that can help the org today? We were involved in 29 one-score games this year, which is over 50% of our games played for the season (51.8%). In those one-goal games, we were 10-10-9 and left 29 points behind. What can help the Ducks gain half of those points left on the ice? Also, beating teams in our division decreases that gap. I was gonna say to go after Hall, but he seems content with signing an extension with the Bruins.

They need Top 6 scorers, for now and the future. Can’t rely on just the draft to get it done. Need to get the best support for the kids so they can produce, develop, and be in a more competitive environment. A team with a putrid PP and lack of finish doesn’t help confidence.

I would prefer to go after someone like Reinhart or Buchnevich( if Rangers are parting), they are younger can produce very well, are good overall players and fit into the Ducks window because of their ages

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Figured I'd ask with him getting scratched for Game 1 of the postseason last night: thoughts on a potential move for Kotkaniemi? Personally I like him, but it looks like his development has plateaued in Montreal; I think he's an ideal change of scenery candidate, particularly for a team like the Ducks.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
We wouldnt really have anyone enticing enough to get that. Usually it's a struggling young guy for another struggling young guy.

Our struggling young guys don't have the pedigree to get a kotkaniemi

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012

That's the problem with a lot of the fanbase. They don't believe you can rebuild and be competitive. They want a complete teardown, years of misery, and then potential contention

Reactions: DuckRogers10

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
That's the problem with a lot of the fanbase. They don't believe you can rebuild and be competitive. They want a complete teardown, years of misery, and then potential contention
Or we see how old Hoffman is and realize it’s really unlikely he signs here. No one here has a problem going after players. It’s just some of you want to get players who don’t match out timelines at all

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Free agency isn’t as simple as “why didn’t we just sign so and so?” I see it in fans of every sport. Just because you don’t sign a player doesn’t mean you simply didn’t try. The player actually has to want to sign with you. Fans seem to forget that most of the time.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Free agency isn’t as simple as “why didn’t we just sign so and so?” I see it in fans of every sport. Just because you don’t sign a player doesn’t mean you simply didn’t try. The player actually has to want to sign with you. Fans seem to forget that most of the time.
In a 32-team league deep, any expectation to sign an attractive free agent is almost always naively egocentric. That's even more true when it's expecting someone to sign with an organization that isn't a huge contender and doesn't have the deepest pockets.

Reactions: Paul4587

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ducks had a younger, cheaper version of the player Hoffman is. Daniel Sprong. Murray traded him for a guy he later waived. Unless Murray suddenly likes offense only snipers, I don't see this as an option for him.
They don't play anything alike other than being shooters. Sprong is not even close to Hoffman... at anything.

Reactions: DavidBL

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
They don't play anything alike other than being shooters. Sprong is not even close to Hoffman... at anything.
A little early to make this determination. At age 23, Hoffman had zero NHL goals. Sprong currently has 32 at that age. Right now, Hoffman is the superior player. But Ducks are supposedly rebuilding and should be unloading guys of his age, not signing them.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
A little early to make this determination. At age 23, Hoffman had zero NHL goals. Sprong currently has 32 at that age. Right now, Hoffman is the superior player. But Ducks are supposedly rebuilding and should be unloading guys of his age, not signing them.
I'd sign old guys if it was short term only if they are signed to help develop Zegras/young guys. Hoffman would be a great shooter next to him to develop but yeah who knows where he is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad