Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I completely forgot that Milano was still on the team lol

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Unless we add some relatively expensive pieces this offseason, we will have close to $10 million in cap space to work with. Two expiring cap dumps I noticed were Loui Eriksson ($6 mil AAV) and Anton Stralman ($5.5 mil AAV), it would be great if we could be compensated to take one of them off their hands. Stralman, in particular, is interesting because Florida is competing, and their best forwards are due for large raises soon. I wouldn't be that shocked if they were willing to give up a 1st or a good prospect to get him off the books.

Reactions: wraparound

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
Unless we add some relatively expensive pieces this offseason, we will have close to $10 million in cap space to work with. Two expiring cap dumps I noticed were Loui Eriksson ($6 mil AAV) and Anton Stralman ($5.5 mil AAV), it would be great if we could be compensated to take one of them off their hands. Stralman, in particular, is interesting because Florida is competing, and their best forwards are due for large raises soon. I wouldn't be that shocked if they were willing to give up a 1st or a good prospect to get him off the books.
A 2022 1st and I’d do it easily. We’re 2~3 years from being serious contenders and by then our guys will be needing paydays so those sh*tty contracts we may take on will be off

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’m sorry but we absolutely know what we have in him. Career minor leaguer

He was drafted 7 years ago. Come on

William Karlsson was drafted in 2011. Why in the hell would VGK select him in the expansion draft in 2017? oh...

Anyhow, Milano only played in six games until his concussion got to him this year, but we didn't know that it started last year. Again, he didn't have enough burn in Anaheim to say anything definitive except he's got concussion issues.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
William Karlsson was drafted in 2011. Why in the hell would VGK select him in the expansion draft in 2017? oh...

Anyhow, Milano only played in six games until his concussion got to him this year, but we didn't know that it started last year. Again, he didn't have enough burn in Anaheim to say anything definitive except he's got concussion issues.
They're not great comparables. Karlsson was an established NHLer by the time Vegas took him (a full year sooner in development than what we're talking about with Sonny) whereas Milano has only one year where he HASN'T spent time in the minors, and that was probably because he was injured that year. I think it's too soon to say he's a career NHLer but I'd bet an awful lot that we could leave him unprotected and not sweat about it at all. His prospects for being a full-time NHL guy are poor.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Well the concussions are part of the issue for him. It’s another hurdle he faces in becoming an NHL player. Being able to stay healthy and on the ice matters a great deal. At his size I just don’t see the brain to be a real full timer. You have to have Cogs level intensity to be an NHLer at that size without having great sense.

I think most likely he will be playing in Europe somewhere in a couple seasons. Which isn’t a bad option. He’ll make pretty good money over there and get to play and succeed

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
They're not great comparables. Karlsson was an established NHLer by the time Vegas took him (a full year sooner in development than what we're talking about with Sonny) whereas Milano has only one year where he HASN'T spent time in the minors, and that was probably because he was injured that year. I think it's too soon to say he's a career NHLer but I'd bet an awful lot that we could leave him unprotected and not sweat about it at all. His prospects for being a full-time NHL guy are poor.

The comparison is length. While not a great comp, it took a long minute for Karlsson to become who he is today. Milano could be more than a career AHL'er. On the Ducks' team that is lacking offense, there could be a path for Milano. I'm just saying let's not be definitive on a player who still might have something more in a different atmosphere. Similarly, another not great comp, is D Fleury. He looked as though he was just a defensive guy and nothing more. With more minutes, Fleury is now looking like a player worth protecting. Fleury can shed that bust moniker, but we still need to see if he can continue that good play next season. Fleury and Milano are both 2014 draftees. I'm not saying Milano can produce like Fleury or Karlsson, but I am saying maybe he needs more time like a Karlsson and Fleury.

Logically, though, his concussion symptoms make me think his skating career might be over already. Still, we have him under contract for another year. While he's not worth protecting, he's still worth the possibility he come become useful with the Ducks or in the NHL until he's exhausted his opportunities.

I'm a fan of all of our prospects, but I also know all prospects differ in talent. I'm pulling for Milano, but I'm not expecting him to be the next Karlsson. I'm hoping Milano can be solid, energy 3rd-line NHL'er.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well the concussions are part of the issue for him. It’s another hurdle he faces in becoming an NHL player. Being able to stay healthy and on the ice matters a great deal. At his size I just don’t see the brain to be a real full timer. You have to have Cogs level intensity to be an NHLer at that size without having great sense.

I think most likely he will be playing in Europe somewhere in a couple seasons. Which isn’t a bad option. He’ll make pretty good money over there and get to play and succeed

Milano had his spurt with the Ducks after the TDL. He had 5 pts (2g, 3a) in 9 games for the Ducks. It's upon our coaches to make him believe he can be an consistent offensive producer than in spurts. Although Milano didn't produce on the scoresheet this year, I did like he was playing a full 200-ft sheet of ice this season as he was often backchecking like crazy, using his speed.

I can envision Milano's game across the pond, but his concussion might be his biggest hurdle because a concussion keeps one off the ice as it's a health issue.

Mr Rogers

The Establishment
Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Milano's biggest asset is his speed. He doesn't have the awareness to put probably more than 30 points per season. I don't think his puck-handling is anything to write home about either.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
The comparison is length. While not a great comp, it took a long minute for Karlsson to become who he is today. Milano could be more than a career AHL'er. On the Ducks' team that is lacking offense, there could be a path for Milano. I'm just saying let's not be definitive on a player who still might have something more in a different atmosphere. Similarly, another not great comp, is D Fleury. He looked as though he was just a defensive guy and nothing more. With more minutes, Fleury is now looking like a player worth protecting. Fleury can shed that bust moniker, but we still need to see if he can continue that good play next season. Fleury and Milano are both 2014 draftees. I'm not saying Milano can produce like Fleury or Karlsson, but I am saying maybe he needs more time like a Karlsson and Fleury.

Logically, though, his concussion symptoms make me think his skating career might be over already. Still, we have him under contract for another year. While he's not worth protecting, he's still worth the possibility he come become useful with the Ducks or in the NHL until he's exhausted his opportunities.

I'm a fan of all of our prospects, but I also know all prospects differ in talent. I'm pulling for Milano, but I'm not expecting him to be the next Karlsson. I'm hoping Milano can be solid, energy 3rd-line NHL'er.
While the length is similar, I think Fleury and Karlsson had established themselves as NHL players until they were given better opportunities. Karlsson was given a top six role in Vegas with good offensive players on his line. Fleury after coming to the Ducks was given more minutes and thrived. Milano hasn't really established himself in any role yet. I hope Milano's injury issues are over and that he can carve out an NHL role for himself.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Milano has never really produced well in the NHL. In his best years he was producing at a 30 - 40 point rate. That production, for the 16th overall pick in the draft, is a bit disappointing. It may be acceptable on the Ducks, given the Ducks current lack of offense, but on a competitive team it is third line numbers. It certainly doesn't help that he missed this year due to a concussion, and it is uncertain if he will even be able to come back next year, if ever. Since he is signed for next year I guess we can hope that he will be able to play and at least play to the 30 - 40 point level. That isn't really going to help the Ducks, but given how lacking the team is in scoring it probably isn't going to hurt them, either.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
While the length is similar, I think Fleury and Karlsson had established themselves as NHL players until they were given better opportunities. Karlsson was given a top six role in Vegas with good offensive players on his line. Fleury after coming to the Ducks was given more minutes and thrived. Milano hasn't really established himself in any role yet. I hope Milano's injury issues are over and that he can carve out an NHL role for himself.

It's odd how so many people believe that I stated that Milano is the next Karlsson. I'm simply refuting the claim that Milano is definitely a minor leaguer due to how long he's been a pro and nothing has developed yet. Karlsson and Fluery have taken time to develop, but they have evolved. Can Milano still evolve? I think he might have a path, but his concussion has derailed that possibility this past season. Milano got in 9 games after the TDL and earned 5 points. This season, he got only 6 games. Milano hasn't established his role here because he hasn't played a lot due to injuries. Thus, everyone is making a fuss about his talent after only a total of 15 games with the Ducks. Are those 15 games more than enough to declare he's a career minor leaguer?

What can Milano possibly bring? @GreatBear has a good projection.

Milano has never really produced well in the NHL. In his best years he was producing at a 30 - 40 point rate. That production, for the 16th overall pick in the draft, is a bit disappointing. It may be acceptable on the Ducks, given the Ducks current lack of offense, but on a competitive team it is third line numbers. It certainly doesn't help that he missed this year due to a concussion, and it is uncertain if he will even be able to come back next year, if ever. Since he is signed for next year I guess we can hope that he will be able to play and at least play to the 30 - 40 point level. That isn't really going to help the Ducks, but given how lacking the team is in scoring it probably isn't going to hurt them, either.

Currently, the Ducks are defensively advanced at defense and goalie. Our problem lay in our forwards. Out of 56 games, 29 of those games were one-goal games. We went 10-10-9 (29 pts). That doesn't include games where it was a one-goal game in under 2 minutes left in the third period and the other team scores an empty net goal or two. Could producing 30-40 points this past season helped the Ducks improve their record? Definitely.

We missed the playoffs by 20 points. We lost two one-goal games against the Blues. We two one-goal games in OT against the Blues. Let's say we win those games in regulation, then the Ducks would be down by 10 points because the Blues owned the last playoff spot. Is there enough offense in Milano to make up for the 10 points to make the playoffs? I dunno, but we only had one 30 point scorer on the team this year. On a team lacking offense, adding offense would be great! Plus, he was always identified often backchecking in the games he played in. It was him proving he can play within a structure for Eakins.

I don't think Milano's NHL career looks good only because concussions cannot be controlled except to stop playing. But if it no longer hinders him, then I'd want the best for him because it'll mean good things for the Ducks. Do I expect him to be our #1 scoring winger? Nope. I hope he can become a 3rd line energy guy that can give the Ducks some scoring while being defensively sound with his speed. We acquired Milano for Shore. I wasn't expecting much, but it's also a low risk gamble.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We NEED to get Hoffman to help develop zegras... Man he's looked good these playoffs. He's got some skill and that shot wow.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We NEED to get Hoffman to help develop zegras... Man he's looked good these playoffs. He's got some skill and that shot wow.

Totally agree! Any top 6 scorer is going to be needed while keeping Rakell, imo....

Comtois - Zegras - Hoffman
Rakell - Henrique - Terry

I mean that’s a Top 6 that can do some damage. If the D plays well , plus with Fluery being added and Drysdale getting stronger this off season, D should be better. Playoffs I highly doubt but won’t be a tire fire. Still need to fix that PP. Hoffman would help big time there and not like bringing in Shattenkirk who was never really good on the PP to begin with. Maybe he had some moments during his St. Louis years.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Totally agree! Any top 6 scorer is going to be needed while keeping Rakell, imo....

Comtois - Zegras - Hoffman
Rakell - Henrique - Terry

I mean that’s a Top 6 that can do some damage. If the D plays well , plus with Fluery being added and Drysdale getting stronger this off season, D should be better. Playoffs I highly doubt but won’t be a tire fire. Still need to fix that PP. Hoffman would help big time there and not like bringing in Shattenkirk who was never really good on the PP to begin with. Maybe he had some moments during his St. Louis years.

I don't see Bob protecting Fleury over Manson, Fowler, Lindholm in the expansion draft and I don't see Seattle passing on him. He'll be playing against us as part of the Kraken next season.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't see Bob protecting Fleury over Manson, Fowler, Lindholm in the expansion draft and I don't see Seattle passing on him. He'll be playing against us as part of the Kraken next season.

If they go 4 and 4, can protect him. I mean a 24 yo D-man who still has upside Top 4 potential..... you are right Bob is not that smart to protect him. Lol

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
He doesn’t have to choose. The choice is whether you want to protect Fleury vs. protecting 2 extra guys out of Jones, Steel, Volkov, Heinen, etc. If Bob chooses to expose Fleury so he can protect Jones and Volkov? That would be something.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
He doesn’t have to choose. The choice is whether you want to protect Fleury vs. protecting 2 extra guys out of Jones, Steel, Volkov, Heinen, etc. If Bob chooses to expose Fleury so he can protect Jones and Volkov? That would be something.

Do we really have any faith he's going the 4 x 4 route vs 7 x 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->