Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The recovery time is significantly different for what the team wants and what eichel wants. If he has a fusion I would expect him to miss most of next season.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Eichel wants to have artificial disc replacement surgery, the team wants him to have a fusion.
Ah, thank you. The numbers in that article are largely irrelevant then. One of the links says that there have been a grand total of 2 professional athletes in any sport that have had that done.

edit - publishing date was 2018, so assume that data was through 2017

Reactions: Static

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ah, thank you. The numbers in that article are largely irrelevant then. One of the links says that there have been a grand total of 2 professional athletes in any sport that have had that done.

Russian roulette with a scalpel...

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
From that link (if you read the source papers) 80% of players returned to play, and the mean career after surgery was 3.2 years.

How much you gonna pay in a trade for those numbers?

edit - less facetiously, there are very low numbers in these studies - 25-101 at a quick reading. As I originally said, there simply isn’t the data to be “certain” about anything here.

Again, we have no access to his medical records and even if we did we are not qualified to interpret them. I am sure ever situation, individual, ect is unique. I trust our doctors to determine the level of risk and move forward accordingly. We are not gonna give up prime assets without doing our homework, so I’m not sure why that seems to be a fear of some.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Yeah, the issue between he and the team has been precedent.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Eichel wants to have artificial disc replacement surgery, the team wants him to have a fusion (I think the anterior version).

Actually I think the team is trying to avoid any kind of surgery, we just don't know where they're at yet. Part of the thing was that they wanted him to rest for 12 weeks and they'd see where they're at, but Eichel wants the surgery regardless and that's a big part of the disconnect.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It's a shame that pundits like Friedman and Dreger, et al are hyping the trade narrative with no discussion about the underlying injury. Saying a trade is possible within the next 2 weeks without explaining the status of his injury seems like click bait material and not serious "journalism" (if such a thing exists anymore). There is just a lot behind the scenes that we just don't know and the media is not being at all helpful in trying to dig for the story.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Actually I think the team is trying to avoid any kind of surgery, we just don't know where they're at yet. Part of the thing was that they wanted him to rest for 12 weeks and they'd see where they're at, but Eichel wants the surgery regardless and that's a big part of the disconnect.
I could have sworn I read that the team wanted him to have the fusion if he has to have surgery.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Again, we have no access to his medical records and even if we did we are not qualified to interpret them. I am sure ever situation, individual, ect is unique. I trust our doctors to determine the level of risk and move forward accordingly. We are not gonna give up prime assets without doing our homework, so I’m not sure why that seems to be a fear of some.
Access to his medical records is irrelevant. Anyone with the appropriate level of training can read those papers and glean that there isn’t enough data to speak with any certainty on anything other than if surgery is required, he has a severe enough injury to where it’s uncertain how the stresses of the sport will affect his degree of recovery, ability to play at his current level, length of career, and breakdown of the neighboring disc spaces/need for future additional surgeries.

None of those surgeries were done on players of Eichel’s caliber, either. What if he can return to playing, but his abilities are diminished by 5-10%? He’s still recovered, but he isn’t “Eichel” any more, because he’s lost some shot accuracy, or strength, or the ability to turn his head as well to see the ice, or… . There’s no way to measure that kind of thing.

Reactions: Static

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
It's a shame that pundits like Friedman and Dreger, et al are hyping the trade narrative with no discussion about the underlying injury. Saying a trade is possible within the next 2 weeks without explaining the status of his injury seems like click bait material and not serious "journalism" (if such a thing exists anymore). There is just a lot behind the scenes that we just don't know and the media is not being at all helpful in trying to dig for the story.

I agree that it would be very helpful to our dialogue to know more about the injury, but due to HIPAA, that will not happen.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Access to his medical records is irrelevant. Anyone with the appropriate level of training can read those papers and glean that there isn’t enough data to speak with any certainty on anything other than if surgery is required, he has a severe enough injury to where it’s uncertain how the stresses of the sport will affect his degree of recovery, ability to play at his current level, length of career, and breakdown of the neighboring disc spaces/need for future additional surgeries.

None of those surgeries were done on players of Eichel’s caliber, either. What if he can return to playing, but his abilities are diminished by 5-10%? He’s still recovered, but he isn’t “Eichel” any more, because he’s lost some shot accuracy, or strength, or the ability to turn his head as well to see the ice, or… . There’s no way to measure that kind of thing.

For all we know, the injury is minor and Eichel is using the “we disagree on treatment, so I’m not going to play” as leverage to get out of Buffalo.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
For all we know, the injury is minor and Eichel is using the “we disagree on treatment, so I’m not going to play” as leverage to get out of Buffalo.

I suspect you may disagree but if that is true (and I hope it's not) it points to a level of immaturity and lack of character that no organization should have to deal with. As the old adage goes...if she cheated on someone to be with you then she'll someday be cheating on you. If Eichel can do this to Buffalo then he can do it next to Anaheim or any other team unfortunate enough to have to deal with him.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If that’s the case, the MD who recommended surgery should have their license revoked. And I would want nothing to do with a player unwilling to just say “I’m done with the organization, trade me”, because that would call their character into question. You’d be unable to trust them on medical issues for the rest of their career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad