Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread III - To Eichel, or Not To Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It goes back to when that article came out about how GMs were shocked at the uber insane price Seattle set to take certain players in trades or as expansion pick.

When the dust is all settled, Seattle must find a way to reach the Salary floor so then it becomes a roulette with teams to see who gets lucky to lose a expensive player.

To reach the floor Seattle certainly isn't gonna overpay a bunch of AHL free agents because they have no value at the trade deadline and can't be flipped for anything good.
I think they will have relatively little problem to reach cap floor. There are lots of teams out there desperate to shed salary anywhere and Seattle will be able to help them.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think they will have relatively little problem to reach cap floor. There are lots of teams out there desperate to shed salary anywhere and Seattle will be able to help them.
Tampa and Toronto are the main ones in trouble. After that it seems a lot of teams are gonna be able to find a trade partner.
I read that Montreal just gained 7.5mil in cap space with Weber on LTIR so they could trade for a pricey but 1 year remaining guy like Giordano or Subban.
The Habs already had like 22mil in cap space or that is for next offseason idk.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Fowler for Drouin + ? If Fowler agreed to waive.

No. Drouin has his issues and he hasn't been that good during his hockey career. Fowler can play top pairing minutes. If I am trading him to Montreal, I want Suzuki coming back (not going to happen I know).

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Fowler is exponentially more crucial to any team than Drouin, and who knows if Drouin can even bounce back from his issues.

Drouin can't really be counted on for anything moving forward, Fowler can continue to soak up huge minutes.

I sort of doubt Fowler would waive for MTL either but can't say with certainty.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't think it would take Fowler even. his value is probably at an all time low. he may have been dealing with anxiety from playing in Montreal, I hope he can resolve his issues because he still can contribute

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The plus would have to be pretty significant

1st + 1-2 prospects

2022 1st maybe.

Drouin is a complete mystery box where the top end is a top 6 forward and everything below that is a complete lose for the Ducks.
Even if Drouin bounces back to a 50 point guy I still think Fowler is equally valuable to that.

Not to mention Drouin is only signed for 2 more years so even if he does bounce back we are going to lose him in 2 years or have to overpay him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
2022 1st maybe.

Drouin is a complete mystery box where the top end is a top 6 forward and everything below that is a complete lose for the Ducks.
Even if Drouin bounces back to a 50 point guy I still think Fowler is equally valuable to that.

Not to mention Drouin is only signed for 2 more years so even if he does bounce back we are going to lose him in 2 years or have to overpay him.

Not to nitpick but I think Fowler is undoubtedly more valuable than a ~ 50 point winger who is pretty much only bringing that offense to the table and little else.

As much as I wouldn't expect a team to likely trade a top line forward for Fowler, anything less than that is probably a loss for us in terms of a hockey trade for Fowler. The exception would perhaps be a very good 2C, but Fowler brings more to the table and is more vital to the team than most second line forwards in general.

Reactions: Gliff and Arthuros

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
I doubt it.
I don't post here a ton, so I don't know how to quote it, but this is what you said on May 10th in response to my post:

"Yeah, man, it's not going to be that hard to find complimentary players to "build out" a roster that has Zegras, Eichel, Lundestrom, Terry, Comtois, Jones, Heinen, Silf, Henrique, Rowney, and Grant, even if ZERO prospects make the team in the next two years, which seems unlikely. That's like 3 guys we'd need. That's a cheap roster, too, with plenty of space for an FA upgrade if desired.

And, the Ducks would have been in the playoff hunt THIS YEAR with a half-decent power play. It's also not a great idea to project how good or bad the team will be based on this season, where we only played a few teams, and 3 good teams are leaving our division next season."

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I don't post here a ton, so I don't know how to quote it, but this is what you said on May 10th in response to my post:

"Yeah, man, it's not going to be that hard to find complimentary players to "build out" a roster that has Zegras, Eichel, Lundestrom, Terry, Comtois, Jones, Heinen, Silf, Henrique, Rowney, and Grant, even if ZERO prospects make the team in the next two years, which seems unlikely. That's like 3 guys we'd need. That's a cheap roster, too, with plenty of space for an FA upgrade if desired.

And, the Ducks would have been in the playoff hunt THIS YEAR with a half-decent power play. It's also not a great idea to project how good or bad the team will be based on this season, where we only played a few teams, and 3 good teams are leaving our division next season."
Damn, I can't even remember what I posted yesterday

Reactions: LuckyDucky
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

In response to this question from you: "Say the Ducks package the 1st OA, next year's 1st, and Perreault for Eichel. Where else are the Ducks building out the roster? Free agency?"

Do you see Zegras or Drysdale in your proposal? Me neither.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Seeing rumors of McCann and Pettersson being exposed by Pittsburgh. I'd be very interested at bringing McCann in if the price is right. Plays hard and has some touch. Also terrific on the PP.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Not to nitpick but I think Fowler is undoubtedly more valuable than a ~ 50 point winger who is pretty much only bringing that offense to the table and little else.

As much as I wouldn't expect a team to likely trade a top line forward for Fowler, anything less than that is probably a loss for us in terms of a hockey trade for Fowler. The exception would perhaps be a very good 2C, but Fowler brings more to the table and is more vital to the team than most second line forwards in general.

We are on the same page.

Fowler is a lifelong Duck unless they have to move him for cap reasons.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I'm shocked they would expose him. The Ducks should 100% be targeting him.

There is obviously the possibility that the Pens will pay Seattle to pick Zucker or another player. But they could also be shopping him. We will find out soon enough.

Tunapants

May 24, 2012
PHX, AZ

Hes 100% correct too, with that package building out the rest of the roster would be very easy.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's funny that the argument against getting eichel would be becoming buffalo or Edmonton when it's clear as day why those franchises fail.

Those teams made awful decisions on how to fill out the rest of their roster and continue doing so.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Sure wouldn't mind taking a long look at McCann in Pittsburgh. Might come much cheaper since Seattle will likely scoop him up.

Aston-reese as well, what a defensive forward he is.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It's funny that the argument against getting eichel would be becoming buffalo or Edmonton when it's clear as day why those franchises fail.

Those teams made awful decisions on how to fill out the rest of their roster and continue doing so.

Exactly. And they also can’t draft in the later rounds. We don’t have that problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00