Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread - Episode IV : A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Lindholm is a legit top pairing guy, making not legit top pairing money. Him wanting 8-9 isn’t an unreasonable ask. Rakell, with all his warts, is grossly underpaid, has been 4th, 1st, 2nd, and 2nd in points the last four years, and has a reasonable case to be paid at least what Henrique makes.

For Rakell, at least, the markets changed quite a bit since he signed that deal and since Henrique signed his, for that matter. That tier of winger has been consistently in the 4s since Covid, not much reason to think he's gonna beat Henrique on the open market at the moment.

As for Lindholm, the Jones extension did change what had been a reset on the D market but he's not at that tier, either, and I'm guessing no one thinks he is. I don't see any teams giving out that kind of money to a defensive defenseman, but all the power to him if he can get it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
For Rakell, at least, the markets changed quite a bit since he signed that deal and since Henrique signed his, for that matter. That tier of winger has been consistently in the 4s since Covid, not much reason to think he's gonna beat Henrique on the open market at the moment.

As for Lindholm, the Jones extension did change what had been a reset on the D market but he's not at that tier, either, and I'm guessing no one thinks he is. I don't see any teams giving out that kind of money to a defensive defenseman, but all the power to him if he can get it.
There’s what you can get and what you can ask for.

The Ducks are a crap team. If they’re going to spring for a top 11 salary in the league for some guy who’s not been part of the team, there’s no reason to expect our top guys to stay here at a (continued) discount.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
There’s what you can get and what you can ask for.

The Ducks are a crap team. If they’re going to spring for a top 11 salary in the league for some guy who’s not been part of the team, there’s no reason to expect our top guys to stay here at a (continued) discount.
While loyalty means a lot I don't think you can discount the talent difference. I don't think it gives those guys that much leverage.

Oct 18, 2011
I wouldn't pay Lindholm that kind of money he is not durable enough he seems to get hurt every year and his effectiveness wanes. I say let him hopefully have a career year then move him at the deadline. He would be the top dman on the market and could return alot. If we extend him he will be atleast 30 by the time we are decent again, which is over 10 years of miles on his body.

Everyone knows my feelings on Rakell and Manson already

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
While loyalty means a lot I don't think you can discount the talent difference. I don't think it gives those guys that much leverage.
I’m looking at what Trouba, Chabot, and Spurgeon make and thinking that’s what he will want. Especially with the thought that the Cap should be increasing in a couple years.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
From Pro Hockey Rumor: Ducks Open To Trading Ryan Kesler In Similar Move To The Brent Seabrook Trade

Now, they're just starting to think about it?

It never really made sense until now and after thinking about it more I'm not sure it does now. These LTIR contracts clearly can have value to the right team but I don't think one's ever been traded as a positive asset and the Ducks have zero urgency to move it. Not saying I don't think it could be dealt but I'm very skeptical it could be weaponized.

Reactions: Duck Off
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Counterpoint is that “loyalty” should first be to the guys who have been there for the team long term and taken team friendly deals. Bringing in a mercenary didn’t do the Toronto salary structure any favors. I think Lindholm has a legitimate case to want to be taken care of, and Rakell will want to get paid (less of a case than lindholm, but will probably expect at least Henrique money. Having them leave and having Eichel in return is at best a lateral move.

Granted, I’ve wanted to trade Rakell for going on 3 years now. But that doesn’t mean he won’t expect $$
Well Eichel isn't a mercenary in the Toronto sense, because he wouldn't have been signed as a UFA. And unless he's the heir apparent to the team's 1C slot I can't see a player feeling a lack of loyalty in the team making a hockey trade. Plus, Toronto has a number of roughly equivalent superstar players, which is not a problem we have. And the only real team friendly deal amongst the guys we're talking about is Rakell's.

But anyway I agree that bringing in a high-dollar player makes the re-signing of any other single player less likely overall. My point was that it doesn't make sense for a player to believe that the arrival of Eichel means he can successfully ask for more money than he already was. As in, "I was going to ask for $6M but now I'll ask for $8M." Nonsense. Eichel signed long ago, market value doesn't change just by Eichel changing addresses, and no Ducks player is in his stratosphere anyway. I could see a player believing that the arrival of Eichel means that he'd be certain he won't get what he thinks he's worth and being annoyed.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
One thing to consider on giving up all these young assets is that basically every team that's won a Cup in recent memory has been built through the draft and supplemented through trades/FA. Yes, there hasn't been an Eichel level player dealt in a LONG time, but he has yet to show he can be the guy and carry a team to even playoff level (to be fair, hockey requires more of a team, but his teams haven't been that devoid of talent). If he's traded here, he'll face the same challenges he did in Buffalo... poor coaching, no depth, missing payoffs. Unless he's willing to come here and give the Ducks a few years to right the ship and he's coming at a discount trade price, I don't think he's a good fit right now.

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
One thing to consider on giving up all these young assets is that basically every team that's won a Cup in recent memory has been built through the draft and supplemented through trades/FA. Yes, there hasn't been an Eichel level player dealt in a LONG time, but he has yet to show he can be the guy and carry a team to even playoff level (to be fair, hockey requires more of a team, but his teams haven't been that devoid of talent). If he's traded here, he'll face the same challenges he did in Buffalo... poor coaching, no depth, missing payoffs. Unless he's willing to come here and give the Ducks a few years to right the ship and he's coming at a discount trade price, I don't think he's a good fit right now.

He would have to be happy playing on a bottom 5 team and trying to be the singular difference that brought them to a Stanley cup. And waiting 2-3 years for the team to develop would look grim because... the ducks just dealt away the things that were supposed to develop in those 2-3 years, so the clock would start over.

This isnt an average team lacking a missing elite center for the next few years. It's a bottom 5 team. At this point its consistently a bottom of the league team. With record setting bad special teams, anemic offense, and horrible depth combined with a lack of star power.

Eichel to this team is like buying a sports car with a crappy job, cheap clothes, gross apartment, and a salary that barely allows you to pay the monthly.

Ducks need to fix a whole lot first.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He would have to be happy playing on a bottom 5 team and trying to be the singular difference that brought them to a Stanley cup. And waiting 2-3 years for the team to develop would look grim because... the ducks just dealt away the things that were supposed to develop in those 2-3 years, so the clock would start over.

This isnt an average team lacking a missing elite center for the next few years. It's a bottom 5 team. At this point its consistently a bottom of the league team. With record setting bad special teams, anemic offense, and horrible depth combined with a lack of star power.

Eichel to this team is like buying a sports car with a crappy job, cheap clothes, gross apartment, and a salary that barely allows you to pay the monthly.

Exactly. Eichel is an amazing player, but he's not worth what Buffalo is asking for to the Ducks. He'll want to go where he has a chance at playoffs next season (maybe the one after if he's hurt this year), and that probably won't be here.

Reactions: Kalv

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Lindholm is a legit top pairing guy, making not legit top pairing money. Him wanting 8-9 isn’t an unreasonable ask. Rakell, with all his warts, is grossly underpaid, has been 4th, 1st, 2nd, and 2nd in points the last four years, and has a reasonable case to be paid at least what Henrique makes.

Given his production, Rakell has not be grossly underpaid the past 3 years, particularly when you consider that the $3.8M AAV bought out some of his arbitration/rfa years. The question is whether Rakell's poor production is a function of the players around him - I don't think that is the full explanation. And if it is, then it just shows he's more of a complimentary player that is not going to command big $$. Also, I think he's one of the players Murray was hoping would step up as a leader and it seems he has not.

Given Covid and the other deals we've seen, I think Rakell would get around 4.5M AAV if his production in 2021-22 is in line with the last few years. That is what Saad and Hoffman just signed for and they have been more productive in recent years. Saad is actually a pretty good comp in terms of 2 way play and declining point production.

If I'm the ducks, I offer 5 x $4.5 and maybe go to 6 years (maybe). And if he doesn't want to stay, then trade him as he's at the upper age of the ducks rebuild.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Thats exacrly why i dont think we are good trade partners

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Exactly. Eichel is an amazing player, but he's not worth what Buffalo is asking for to the Ducks. He'll want to go where he has a chance at playoffs next season (maybe the one after if he's hurt this year), and that probably won't be here.
I think at this point Eichel would welcome a fresh start wherever he goes, even if it's to the 2nd worst team as far as we treat him better.

That being said, there is still a lot of risk with him, which is topped with that 5x10M salary. His full participation in the next year is being less and less likely which drives down my hope to acquire him. We SHOULD NOT include the next 1st rounder for him nor Z, Drysdale and I would be reluctant with Comtois, Terry, and Dostal, yet I would understand that some of that should be included. While I'm leaning to the ''don't touch that'', I'm also very sad to see this situation unfold. The guy just wants a proper surgery but his hands are tied, it's a ridiculously bad situation.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Imagine if Eichel were traded to Anaheim and Eichel is excited about the Beach and thinks how he'll be centering guys like Comtois, Henrique and eventually Perreault and maybe McTavish but then he finds out all those guys were shipped out to Buffalo and all he's got for wingers is just Rakell and then one net front guy like Jones or Volkov.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Ducks free agency: The shelves are emptying, but here are 6 bargain options for Bob Murray
Ducks free agency: The shelves are emptying, but here are 6 bargain options for Bob Murray

Saving you all the click, they are Donato, Galchenyuk, M. Johansson, Kahun, Ryan, and Tatar.

The only ones that seem remotely appealing are Tatar and Donato, but those aren't players we should be signing at this stage.

As much as I like Ryan, the man WILL get injured at some point.

Reactions: ShadowDuck

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Saving you all the click, they are Donato, Galchenyuk, M. Johansson, Kahun, Ryan, and Tatar.

The only ones that seem remotely appealing are Tatar and Donato, but those aren't players we should be signing at this stage.

As much as I like Ryan, the man WILL get injured at some point.

One of Tatar, Donato, or Galchenyuk would be appealing imo. Galchenyuk hitting one times off Zegras’s feed on the PP could be really helpful. I still think we get winger adds through trade though.

I still think Gudbranson would be a great cheap add.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
One of Tatar, Donato, or Galchenyuk would be appealing imo. Galchenyuk hitting one times off Zegras’s feed on the PP could be really helpful. I still think we get winger adds through trade though.

I still think Gudbranson would be a great cheap add.
TBH I'm not sure what to think of Galchenyuk. Sounds like he's a float-and-score forward, but it doesn't seem like he's doing too well on the scoring part of that either.

It could be a renaissance for him, or it could his last stop before the KHL. Either way, I'm not sure he's the kind of youth I'd like to add.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Would you guys want to trade for Evander Kane if his gambling allegations was not true?
Absolutely not. The Sharks were already trying to trade him because of his "strained relationship with many of his teammates". Couple that with his past antics and it becomes quite clear that he's not a guy you want in your locker room.

Reactions: Arthuros
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad