Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread - Episode IV : A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Still think the Ducks should target Fiala. The Wild have very little cap space and it gets worse the next few years. He's going to arbitration and the Athletic predicts his contract to be around 6-7 per year. I think the Ducks could apply some pressure here (even though I know BM would never offer sheet a player).

I would be keen depending on price but wouldn’t give up Comtois, Zegras, McTavish or Drysdale. Terry plus any dman prospect of the Wilds choice plus what gets it done? Do we have enough value outside of those four pieces that ideally shouldn’t be moved?

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Bowman's really messed up the expected contracts for young defencemen.

Nurse at 9M? You're shitting me. Not looking forward to what Hampus is asking.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think ''games played'' will also be considered when re-signing Hampus and he does not play much if at all on the PP. But of course he will get more than Fowler.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Acquiring a $10 million player will certainly benefit the negotiating power of Rakell, Manson, and Lindholm. If the team can afford Eichel then....

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
And that's fine, we just need more talented players.

From what I heard about Domi, is that he wants to be the one calling the shots such as him remaining at center than shifted to wing. That was the reason why MTL traded him to CLB. And now CLB wants to trade him off. No need to create a toxic environment, especially when Eakins is your head coach and Bob as your GM.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I would be keen depending on price but wouldn’t give up Comtois, Zegras, McTavish or Drysdale. Terry plus any dman prospect of the Wilds choice plus what gets it done? Do we have enough value outside of those four pieces that ideally shouldn’t be moved?

I agree on not moving those four. My thoughts would be to build around Rakell. He'll definitely be paid less than Fiala and if they can't resign him, he could be flipped at the deadline. My understanding is that they need top 9 centers so I would suggest Lundestrom/Steel. A defenseman prospect and/or pick too.

Rakell + Lundestrom/Steel + Mahura/Thrun/Lacombe + pick

I'm sure the value is way off but who knows. I could also see the Wild unloading a bad contract in the trade. The Ducks have ways to help with cap and that's Minnesota's biggest hurdle the next few seasons.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
From what I heard about Domi, is that he wants to be the one calling the shots such as him remaining at center than shifted to wing. That was the reason why MTL traded him to CLB. And now CLB wants to trade him off. No need to create a toxic environment, especially when Eakins is your head coach and Bob as your GM.

I'd still take the chance on Domi assuming it doesnt take much more than a 2nd tier prospect/2nd rounder

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
BM is known to be both risk-averse and needs to "win" trades. Which makes deals difficult.

Indecisiveness saves the organization long-term?

Which one is your stance b/c I'm lost with your response. Either he's tactical with his patience or no tactic exists. Bob's job is the make sure the team's future is safe today and tomorrow, not to appease your feelings. Overpaying for a rental is exactly what you want to avoid and it's how the Ducks were Pacific division winners for five consecutive years as well as make the playoffs for six consecutive seasons. We're transitioning from the Twins era with Kesler + Eaves whose talents fell off quickly in 2018-19, landed two franchise players in Zegras and Drysdale, doubled upon first round picks in 2019 as well as 2020 via trades (one of them using cap space as part of the trade), but your impatience allows you to have two contradicting positions at the same time.

Bob swung a huge trade to acquire Kesler, who helped with the consecutive Pacific division wins and playoff runs. Bob swung a deal for Henrique when our centers kept falling off like flies due to injuries. Bob acquired Eaves to help us for the playoff run and the conditional 2nd round pick became a 1st round pick because we made it to the Western Conference Finals. Bob had a deal in place for D Faulk until we all discovered he was being used to drive up price and stay on the east coast. Bob was selling our future for PLD, excluding Zegras and Drysdale. Bob is in on Eichel, but steadfast on not giving away either franchise youths for a player that needs neck surgery. You have to omit all these things just so you can "feel" happy to say he's indecisive to placate your impatience.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It would be the exact opposite.

Interesting. Rakell, Manson, and Lindholm are UFA's that can finally cash in on a big contract. Ducks signal they are willing to spend big by acquiring Eichel. Why wouldn't Rakell, Manson, and Lindholm want a piece of that? They sure aren't going to take a hometown discount to stay on a last place team in Anaheim. If the Ducks aren't willing to pay them for cap reasons they'll just leave. How do you see it?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Interesting. Rakell, Manson, and Lindholm are UFA's that can finally cash in on a big contract. Ducks signal they are willing to spend big by acquiring Eichel. Why wouldn't Rakell, Manson, and Lindholm want a piece of that? They sure aren't going to take a hometown discount to stay on a last place team in Anaheim. If the Ducks aren't willing to pay them for cap reasons they'll just leave. How do you see it?
Kesler’s contract coming off the books should be enough to cover raises for all 3 of them, assuming they are all still here.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Kesler’s contract coming off the books should be enough to cover raises for all 3 of them, assuming they are all still here.

well, two things:
1. For cap purposes Kesler has been off the books for a couple of years already
2. It's not a cap issue. The Ducks have a maximum price in mind for each player and if they want more they are either going to be traded or walk. Either way, the team gets worse. That's not necessarily a problem if the team is rebuilding but it would be a problem if Eichel were on the team and expecting to be challenging for the playoffs.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Jordan Kyrou just signed for 2 years @ 2.8M AAV. A very solid comparable for Comtois

Came to post the same thing. Very similar numbers, Kryou is about 8 months older so basically the same age too. His signing is good for us in getting Comtois for a reasonable price. Good to see some RFAs aren’t cashing in still.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
well, two things:
1. For cap purposes Kesler has been off the books for a couple of years already
2. It's not a cap issue. The Ducks have a maximum price in mind for each player and if they want more they are either going to be traded or walk. Either way, the team gets worse. That's not necessarily a problem if the team is rebuilding but it would be a problem if Eichel were on the team and expecting to be challenging for the playoffs.
We have $19 million in cap space currently with Kesler on the books. Without him we are in excess of $25 million. If Bob wants those two to stay then they will because we don't have anyone else to pay.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
We have $19 million in cap space currently with Kesler on the books. Without him we are in excess of $25 million. If Bob wants those two to stay then they will because we don't have anyone else to pay.

So you don't think the Ducks have a maximum price they are willing to pay each player? Didn't we just see a tweet the other day indicating that the Ducks might be shopping Rakell because his asking price is too high?

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

Not everything is about Eichel. Whether we have him, or not, I am sure that the UFA's will want to get their market value or they will look elsewhere. There is zero chance that if we don't have eichel we could go to them and say "look, we are being cheap, so cheap we wouldn't trade for eichel cuz $$$$. So, now take our super below market contract cuz we are poor."

The only consideration I could see the UFA's having, as it pertains to Eichel, is that if we have him we are closer to competing. They may be willing to give a slight discount if they feel this team is closer to being competitive.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So you don't think the Ducks have a maximum price they are willing to pay each player? Didn't we just see a tweet the other day indicating that the Ducks might be shopping Rakell because his asking price is too high?
I'm saying if those players are getting paid that money then we will have to eventually as well. Let them walk and then what? Replace them either with worse players or equal talent at the dollar amount being supported by the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad