Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread - Episode IV : A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Interesting. Rakell, Manson, and Lindholm are UFA's that can finally cash in on a big contract. Ducks signal they are willing to spend big by acquiring Eichel. Why wouldn't Rakell, Manson, and Lindholm want a piece of that? They sure aren't going to take a hometown discount to stay on a last place team in Anaheim. If the Ducks aren't willing to pay them for cap reasons they'll just leave. How do you see it?
Eichel isn't a comparable for any of them and having a player on the roster taking up $10M from a limited pool of money isn't a good argument for asking for even more money. It lends weight to the team's side of the negotiation, that having Eichel means that there is less to go around AND that the team is willing to spend to improve, so perhaps the grass isn't as green elsewhere. So the Ducks signing Eichel isn't a good reason for these players to ask for money, quite the opposite. However, it could make these players more likely to leave as the team might be less willing to overspend to keep them around.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Not everything is about Eichel. Whether we have him, or not, I am sure that the UFA's will want to get their market value or they will look elsewhere. There is zero chance that if we don't have eichel we could go to them and say "look, we are being cheap, so cheap we wouldn't trade for eichel cuz $$$$. So, now take our super below market contract cuz we are poor."

The only consideration I could see the UFA's having, as it pertains to Eichel, is that if we have him we are closer to competing. They may be willing to give a slight discount if they feel this team is closer to being competitive.

I'm saying if those players are getting paid that money then we will have to eventually as well. Let them walk and then what? Replace them either with worse players or equal talent at the dollar amount being supported by the market.

Eichel isn't a comparable for any of them and having a player on the roster taking up $10M from a limited pool of money isn't a good argument for asking for even more money. It lends weight to the team's side of the negotiation, that having Eichel means that there is less to go around AND that the team is willing to spend to improve, so perhaps the grass isn't as green elsewhere. So the Ducks signing Eichel isn't a good reason for these players to ask for money, quite the opposite. However, it could make these players more likely to leave as the team might be less willing to overspend to keep them around.

Always the same three. Oh well, you guys are going to be shocked I suppose when Rakell is traded.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Always the same three. Oh well, you guys are going to be shocked I suppose when Rakell is traded.
Nothing with rakell would be shocking. Letting Lindholm walk or trading him would be shocking.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Actually you completely contradicted yourself in two consecutive posts. That's quite an accomplishment...even for you.
You don't even understand your own arguments, let alone mine. I know why - because you have a bizarre need to cast anything Eichel related into a negative for the team so you can prevent a trade through sheer tyranny of will. Your posts should be accompanied by calliope music.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
You don't even understand your own arguments, let alone mine. I know why - because you have a bizarre need to cast anything Eichel related into a negative for the team so you can prevent a trade through sheer tyranny of will. Your posts should be accompanied by calliope music.
Seriously. It just reeks of a bored habit of attempting to play the devil's most disbarred advocate. Terrible way to handle the offseason's boredom.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I have a feeling we are going to end up with domi, strome, debrusk for rakell etc.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Acquiring a $10 million player will certainly benefit the negotiating power of Rakell, Manson, and Lindholm. If the team can afford Eichel then....

If the team is paying Eichel that means he's actively playing hockey and not on LTIR. A healthy, playing Eichel would have far more impact to this team than Manson and/or Rakell. Trading Manson and Rakell for picks and using the savings for a healthy Eichel and Lindholm would be a massive win.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So you don't think the Ducks have a maximum price they are willing to pay each player? Didn't we just see a tweet the other day indicating that the Ducks might be shopping Rakell because his asking price is too high?

Didn't we see tweets that Getz was going to another team? Instead, we paid a bit more than expected at $4.5 mil. Why? Because he's still that talented to let go. Similarly, that's the same category for Lindholm, Manson, and Rakell. TBF, Bob likes overpaying for aging veterans... unfortunately.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'm just stunned we haven't done anything so far. I didn't expect much, but i expected something (beyond re-signing Getzlaf)
I keep thinking the offseason just started but we are really only like six weeks away from things ramping up for next season.

I have maintained I'd be shocked if nothing happens, but things would have to start happening pretty quickly here.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Counterpoint is that “loyalty” should first be to the guys who have been there for the team long term and taken team friendly deals. Bringing in a mercenary didn’t do the Toronto salary structure any favors. I think Lindholm has a legitimate case to want to be taken care of, and Rakell will want to get paid (less of a case than lindholm, but will probably expect at least Henrique money. Having them leave and having Eichel in return is at best a lateral move.

Granted, I’ve wanted to trade Rakell for going on 3 years now. But that doesn’t mean he won’t expect $$

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Counterpoint is that “loyalty” should first be to the guys who have been there for the team long term and taken team friendly deals. Bringing in a mercenary didn’t do the Toronto salary structure any favors. I think Lindholm has a legitimate case to want to be taken care of, and Rakell will want to get paid (less of a case than lindholm, but will probably expect at least Henrique money. Having them leave and having Eichel in return is at best a lateral move.

Granted, I’ve wanted to trade Rakell for going on 3 years now. But that doesn’t mean he won’t expect $$
As two of the vets of a team that has completely crashed and burned I think it would be odd if they felt that way. Especially since rakell has regressed considerably and Lindholm can't stay on the ice.

I wouldn't begrudge any player for trying to get theirs, but I would think it was strange if they felt they were obligated to substantial raises. It certainly wouldn't be because of performance.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I'm just stunned we haven't done anything so far. I didn't expect much, but i expected something (beyond re-signing Getzlaf)
Improvement for the team isn't going to come from accumulating futures. Those were the trades that got dome by ED and entry draft. Now comes the period where the cap compliance trades get done - roster players who have to be moved, and this is where I believe BM is focused. There is still time.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Improvement for the team isn't going to come from accumulating futures. Those were the trades that got dome by ED and entry draft. Now comes the period where the cap compliance trades get done - roster players who have to be moved, and this is where I believe BM is focused. There is still time.

I agree. I just expected a few non/ AHL moves by now

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

As opposed to you, who is largely alone in your ridiculous posts.

Where did I say anything about not thinking Rakell could/would be traded? All I was said was that Eichel being traded for would have no affect on our upcoming UFA's contract demands after you alluded to somehow us trading for Eichel would give them ammo to demand more money.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
As two of the vets of a team that has completely crashed and burned I think it would be odd if they felt that way. Especially since rakell has regressed considerably and Lindholm can't stay on the ice.

I wouldn't begrudge any player for trying to get theirs, but I would think it was strange if they felt they were obligated to substantial raises. It certainly wouldn't be because of performance.
Lindholm is a legit top pairing guy, making not legit top pairing money. Him wanting 8-9 isn’t an unreasonable ask. Rakell, with all his warts, is grossly underpaid, has been 4th, 1st, 2nd, and 2nd in points the last four years, and has a reasonable case to be paid at least what Henrique makes.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Lindholm is a legit top pairing guy, making not legit top pairing money. Him wanting 8-9 isn’t an unreasonable ask. Rakell, with all his warts, is grossly underpaid, has been 4th, 1st, 2nd, and 2nd in points the last four years, and has a reasonable case to be paid at least what Henrique makes.
Based on what Murray has given to Henrique, Silf, and Fowler why wouldn't they think that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad