Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread - Episode IV : A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Can the Sabres trade Eichel with his neck issues? I would be weary of taking a gamble on a player with a possible chronic physical issue (like the Ducks have a good track record with things like this anyway) aside from other baggage that might come with Eichel.

See... the Eichel/Buffalo thing is very sketchy. With the way Eichel's agent went on a twitter brigade, Eichel should have had the surgery done a month ago and we would already know how the surgery went by now. Then we could also assess the expected projected date that Eichel could return to play.

I don't like how this is being played out by Buffalo. The Ducks and other teams would have a better assessment of what product they're getting if Eichel would have had the surgery done a month ago already. Buffalo want the payment for Eichel as a healthy Eichel when he clearly isn't today. Just walk away, Ducks.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Both of those areas of the body endure much higher amounts of stress just in daily activities though, and require much more surgical trauma to muscles and other surrounding tissues. I'm sorry you guys had to go through that though, I've heard knee replacements are some of the hardest recoveries out there.
I do get that they're very different parts of the body. But we're also talking about the neck of a player that plays a contact sport. And while the neck may not bare as much weight, there isn't a single part of the body with more risk of nerve complications. I'm just saying that a repaired body part is never as strong as the original body part, especially when your adding artificial components into the body.

Reactions: KyleJRM and Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I do get that they're very different parts of the body. But we're also talking about the neck of a player that plays a contact sport. And while the neck may not bare as much weight, there isn't a single part of the body with more risk of nerve complications. I'm just saying that a repaired body part is never as strong as the original body part, especially when your adding artificial components into the body.
Absolutely true. But, the discs in the neck don't generally wear down like that unless there is an underlying condition like degenerative disc disease ect, whereas the shoulder and knee joints will wear down much more quickly just from being stressed so often. So there is much less risk of having to have another major surgery soon after or Eichel being majorly physically diminished.

But you're right, his neck will never be the same regardless of which surgery he chooses. That's the reality of his injury.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You can believe this if you so choose but I can't help but disagree with the notion that moves are likely to happen. Over the years he's constantly talked of changes that need to and will be made that never amounted to anything.

He talks a big game but very rarely are there major changes. Only thing close to one was buying out Perry.

That said based on us being awful for three straight years I was nearly certain this would be the off-season major changes are made and I still think before September something happens. This core of guys we have in their primes haven’t got it done, it’s time to change core pieces and add some high end talent.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
One funny scenario that will never happen: Eichel gets his surgery without permission, buffalo moves to terminate his contract, he goes on unconditional waivers, guess whose second in line after buffalo?

That would be funny, but I don’t think a player has to go on waivers if their contract is being terminated.

Reactions: Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
That would be funny, but I don’t think a player has to go on waivers if their contract is being terminated.
I'm pretty sure the player has to go on unconditional waivers for the purpose of a contract termination. Not 100% sure though.

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
Are we even trying to improve the team? :laugh:
upload_2021-8-2_20-5-16.gif

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think they do so the player doesnt potentially lose money.
Well in that situation eichel will be losing all of his money. I'm sure waivers are to prevent teams from some sort of funny business, I just can't think of what.

Edit: unless you're meaning it's a final protection for a player to have his contract honored, just by another team?

Oct 18, 2011
He got injured before the deadline and didn’t come back until after. Teams probably weren’t willing to give up much for him at that point.

EDIT: Looks like he came back a few days before the deadline. Still could’ve affected his value, but maybe not.
His hot streak was before the injury there were some of us here that thought it was a good time to move him and that he wouldnt be worth what he wants given how far out our window is

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Absolutely true. But, the discs in the neck don't generally wear down like that unless there is an underlying condition like degenerative disc disease ect, whereas the shoulder and knee joints will wear down much more quickly just from being stressed so often. So there is much less risk of having to have another major surgery soon after or Eichel being majorly physically diminished.

But you're right, his neck will never be the same regardless of which surgery he chooses. That's the reality of his injury.
That is what happened with Prince Fielder who got neck surgery just a few months into a season with his new team and his neck was never the same because then like 2 years later needed a 2nd neck surgery and retired right after that but not officially retiring because he was under contract for another 6 years at 25mil or so a year.

Detroit made out like Bandits in getting Ian Kinsler for Prince Fielder.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Well in that situation eichel will be losing all of his money. I'm sure waivers are to prevent teams from some sort of funny business, I just can't think of what.

Edit: unless you're meaning it's a final protection for a player to have his contract honored, just by another team?
This.

91Fedorov

Dec 30, 2013
That is what happened with Prince Fielder who got neck surgery just a few months into a season with his new team and his neck was never the same because then like 2 years later needed a 2nd neck surgery and retired right after that but not officially retiring because he was under contract for another 6 years at 25mil or so a year.

Detroit made out like Bandits in getting Ian Kinsler for Prince Fielder.
Scar tissue formation is a big unknown in orthopedic surgeries. You can't predict how those tissues will form from case to case. When it's that close to that many nerves, it can get very complicated.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Scar tissue formation is a big unknown in orthopedic surgeries. You can't predict how those tissues will form from case to case. When it's that close to that many nerves, it can get very complicated.
Also have to hope the surgeons doing it are the best in their field.
I don't know about the Ducks surgeons but in the Angels of Anaheim back in 2010 Kendry Morales breaks his leg celebrating a grand slam
and the surgery got botched where he had necrosis scar tissue that had to be operated on to remove.
He would never have that 2009 breakout season type numbers again.
So he missed like nearly 2 years on what most people recover from in 6 months.

91Fedorov

Dec 30, 2013
I don't know about the Ducks surgeons but in the Angels of Anaheim back in 2010 Kendry Morales breaks his leg celebrating a grand slam
and the surgery got botched where he had necrosis scar tissue that had to be operated on to remove.
I think at least some of our orthopedic doctors are with Kerlan Jobe. Dr. Orr Limpisvasti seems to be with them at least. They are a top notch organization for sure.

But I'm sure the Angels had the best in the business too. Everything can go right in the operating room though and sometimes the body can still not heal like they think it will.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Even if Eichel's surgery goes well it is far from certain that the neck will hold up for 5 years without problems. Too risky no matter how talented the player is.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Wonder if max Domi would be someone bob looks at if eichel falls through.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Still think the Ducks should target Fiala. The Wild have very little cap space and it gets worse the next few years. He's going to arbitration and the Athletic predicts his contract to be around 6-7 per year. I think the Ducks could apply some pressure here (even though I know BM would never offer sheet a player).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad