2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I think you're reaching, there's like zero chance Mascherin gets any significant NHL time this year.

They will dole out more minutes to players on the bottom of the roster and call up grinders like Dellandrea, L'Esperance, gardner, caamano and kero
To fill in on the 4th lines. Just like last year.
It's what coaches like bones, Monty and Hitch do.
It's not the best player for a specific role, it's the safest option

Veteran > 2way kid > skilled kid

I'm not reaching and that's not what Bones does.

Look at the Stanley Cup run. More experienced guys like Dowling sat because they didn't fit the role he wanted them to play. He makes his decisions based on who could fill the role. That's why Caamano got time against TB when injuries got bad in the Bottom 6.

Last year's team, based on acquisitions and guys not re-signing isn't shaping up to be a Top 6, Checking Line and 4th line. It looks more like they're going with a Top 9 look and a 4th line/Checking Line.

He's not going to bring in Caamano and Gardner to fill in Top 9 roles. They didn't do that last year. When a Top 6 guy was out, he mostly used Dickinson followed by Kero as the next likely option, Dowling played the next most probably, and Dellandrea occasionally got into that group, but he mostly played a Bottom 6 role as well.

Dellandrea may force himself into the equation. Petersen and Karlstrom have a chance to as well. The top 2 options for a more offensive forward going into training camp were hands down Damiani and Mascherin. We've been talking about it for months. There was a chance they even were in the discussion for a spot immediately before their signings seemed to signal Faksa was going to likely be in that top group.

NEXT Year ... especially with this decision ... I'm talking 2022-23 when he could return, he'll be in a way worst position than this season. He may not get another chance this close to the NHL. It's pretty easy to predict Damiani, Karlstrom, and Petersen definitely cement themselves high in the organizational depth chart. It's reasonable Dellandrea will take a step offensively as a 2nd year pro with full AHL time. You also have Bourque and other skilled forwards coming in.

This year was his shot with Dallas. I don't know where all of this he's buried talk was for that past month or so when people had him basically fighting for an open Top 9 spot with Damiani.

Reactions: Bfantz

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Also ... if last year proved anything ... L'Esperance is not on Dallas' radar. He's been given plenty of shots. He's likely viewed as a veteran presence for the Texas Stars at this point.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Ya I would say Mascherin definitely had a shot at pushing raffl out of the lineup and faksa down to the 4th line . I think part of the reason neither him or damiani were called up was because they were both progressing so well in Texas together and stars wanted to keep that developement going and they were battling for a spot all season and didn’t want to take a chance on anymore rookies .

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Ya I would say Mascherin definitely had a shot at pushing raffl out of the lineup and faksa down to the 4th line . I think part of the reason neither him or damiani were called up was because they were both progressing so well in Texas together and stars wanted to keep that developement going and they were battling for a spot all season and didn’t want to take a chance on anymore rookies .

This is all typical Nill ... not saying that's good or bad ... and on top of that you had Seguin coming back. There was literally nothing odd or special about them not getting called up.

I'm so confused right now that so many people today are claiming he's buried, and yet for weeks the discussion has been around him being 1 of 2 players competing for a Top 9 spot so they could conserve money and focus elsewhere.

Reactions: Bfantz

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

This would be so funny. Nill, clearly panick signs Holtby for depth, then tries to trade Khudobin, but can't find any immediate takers, then panic announces that he signed Holtby so Oettinger could 'challenge for a spot on the team' to spin it like he totally meant for this to happen. Really hope we do trade with Holland though, that's a good trade partner to have most of the time.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Khudobin is on the book for two more years. Holtby is just for one. Exchanging that makes sense.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
This is all typical Nill ... not saying that's good or bad ... and on top of that you had Seguin coming back. There was literally nothing odd or special about them not getting called up.

I'm so confused right now that so many people today are claiming he's buried, and yet for weeks the discussion has been around him being 1 of 2 players competing for a Top 9 spot so they could conserve money and focus elsewhere.
They had a shot before they signed a bunch of vets to fill out the roster.
He and Damiani now have to jump all of
Raffl, Glendening, Kero, L'Esperance, Dellandrea, gardner, and caamano just to get into the lineup.
And much like last year and the year before and the year before that and onwards. Top 6 injuries will result in minute allocation to 3rd liners. Ie if pavs or radulov go down, gurianov will move into the top6.
And they'll grab a grinder to fill his role on the 3rd.
If
Kiviranta goes down, benn will slot up and a grinder will replace benn.
If seguin goes down.
Faksa and glendening with both get more minutes. And they'll dress Kero.

The team couldnt score at all last year, had 2 top6 forwards missing almost all year and 2 players producing well in the AHL and the team couldn't be bothered to make a transaction to put then in over justin f***ing dowling, tanner kero, rhett gardner, or nick caamano.

But suddenly he's going to get used because now the transaction is easier for the team to perform.
The team cant score to save their lives.
Missing two top 6 players.
"You know what we should do to keep our faint PO hopes alive, keep rolling out Kero, Dowling and gardner
Because calling up 1 or 2 guys producing in the AHL, is just too difficult because of covid and taxi squads or something. I mean what if they don't work out, then we might have to do more paperwork. "

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Khudobin would have to be talked into going to Edmonton. He has a 4 team NTC and i don't think he liked Edmonton very much in the bubble. I think its among his 4 teams he doesn't want to go.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I mean, sure, they're supremely talented, but how many old ladies do they walk across the street, and do they address all their elders as 'sir' and 'maam'? Otherwise, right on the no draft list.

Can’t evaluate a players character if he doesn’t speak English :teach:

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Can’t evaluate a players character if he doesn’t speak English :teach:
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I think what we learned is fan expectations didn't line up with the team's. If Mascherin was viewed by the team as one of their primary injury fills ins, Nill would have him under contract.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Honka had #6 before who was not an NHL player either.

No but he was one of their top prospects at one point and thus received a high number. Borgman is gonna be some random AHLer for us

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Interesting that they allowed Holtby to get #70. The team is usually very stringent when it comes to higher numbers.

I'm also sad that Hakanpaa is not wearing #58.

Damiani had #70 before. Going to be interesting to see which number he has now. Low numbers usually mean they expect a prospect to play in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad