2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Lmao. That's mean.

But if I were a millionaire I'd be eating a thick slab of Texas Brisket like every other day.
Millionaire? Last time i was on Texas a full brisket cost like $10 on the smaller end. (Pre-covid lockdown)
Compared to a minimum of 50 where im at currently.
If i lived in Texas is literally make smoked brisket every damn day at that price

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Millionaire? Last time i was on Texas a full brisket cost like $10 on the smaller end. (Pre-covid lockdown)
Compared to a minimum of 50 where im at currently.
If i lived in Texas is literally make smoked brisket every damn day at that price
I don't have the time or space to smoke brisket myself. Especially not a whole one which is where it gets really cheap. But I've seen Kroger sell whole briskets for less than 1.99 a pound. It's always so hard to walk past.

Reactions: NoCogs2020

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hard to gauge how much motivation to try and win something is left in Kessel.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Just need to find a sponsor who will give him a lifetime supply of BBQ if he can help bring the cup to Dallas.

giphy.gif

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Hard to gauge how much motivation to try and win something is left in Kessel.

If I'm Phil Kessel, every stanley cup is twice as satisfying just because of the spite it creates from haters who make fun of him for the way he looks. There's a reason he ate hot dogs out of the cup, for maximum troll value. I can't think of a single player who has done less wrong and has gotten shit on more than Phil Kessel. He's been on the same contract since he got traded to Toronto, it's not like he has ever fully controlled his destiny since then. I'm sure his first choice wasn't the Coyotes for a trade. It's not his fault Burke is an idiot and that he was essentially traded for two franchise players in Dougie Hamilton and Tyler Seguin when it was all said and done.

I was in Austin right before COVID, around January, and can confirm the BBQ was very cheap and delicious. Think I paid $12 for a variety plate of a bunch of stuff. I'm glad I don't live there, I think I would eat myself to death.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I’m sure Nill wouldn’t touch Kaprizov with a 10-foot pole but I’m curious what a package would look like from a Stars perspective.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I’m sure Nill wouldn’t touch Kaprizov with a 10-foot pole but I’m curious what a package would look like from a Stars perspective.
Couldn't fit him without moving a lot of salary out.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Still have a feeling Nill does something like taking a Tarasenko from say, Arizona, with 50% of the salary retained? You had mentioned that before.

There's reports some of the teams asking around for Tarasenko didn't like the looks of his medical files ( Blues aparently allow other teams to see his medical files ) . Tarasenkos shoulder might be busted for good.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
There's reports some of the teams asking around for Tarasenko didn't like the looks of his medical files ( Blues aparently allow other teams to see his medical files ) . Tarasenkos shoulder might be busted for good.

Can you show your work on this? I've seen a whole lot of speculation, but no confirmed reports of this at all. It's obvious the shoulder is an issue, but saying he's 'busted' is not something teams generally do. I think the only thing you can say definitively without having the medicals is that things haven't looked good for a couple of years, but apparently that has to do with botched shoulder surgeries, so no one really knows where Tarasenko is at. My guess is Armstrong is trying to get full value at full cap, and obviously has overplayed his hand. I'm assuming it's not an issue of Tarasenko not being movable, just that his risk outweighs what Armstrong is asking for in a trade, and they're not willing to retain 50% for two years because of their own cap issues.

Still have a feeling Nill does something like taking a Tarasenko from say, Arizona, with 50% of the salary retained? You had mentioned that before.

I wish people would just go look at capfriendly, any trade is technically possible, but even at 50% retained that would take the Stars well over the cap.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Can you show your work on this? I've seen a whole lot of speculation, but no confirmed reports of this at all. It's obvious the shoulder is an issue, but saying he's 'busted' is not something teams generally do. I think the only thing you can say definitively without having the medicals is that things haven't looked good for a couple of years, but apparently that has to do with botched shoulder surgeries, so no one really knows where Tarasenko is at. My guess is Armstrong is trying to get full value at full cap, and obviously has overplayed his hand. I'm assuming it's not an issue of Tarasenko not being movable, just that his risk outweighs what Armstrong is asking for in a trade, and they're not willing to retain 50% for two years because of their own cap issues.

I wish people would just go look at capfriendly, any trade is technically possible, but even at 50% retained that would take the Stars well over the cap.

Pretty sure it was on one of Friedmans 31 thoughts.

Some of the teams didn't like what they got to see. The busted part is speculation in my part sure. It's still risky. Not to mention we as fans don't get to see the records

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Yeah, that's all I was wondering. I knew that teams got the medical reports, I would have been shocked if they commented on them. I haven't even heard one of those famous Athletic, "A league exec told me that teams know he's busted" kind of quotes. All I've seen is a report that Armstrong should have traded him before free agency but refused to budge on price, and now has even less teams to negotiate with since everyone is done spending with the exception of a handful of teams that have lots of cap room. I think Seattle not taking him was really stupid in the first place. If you don't find a trade for him, at the very least you have a big name to attract fans, and if it so happens that he actually plays well then you can trade him for a ton if you don't want to keep him. Guess that's a separate topic altogether, though.

Pretty sure Tarasenko will be playing in St. Louis this year unless someone eats his salary at full, or they find a third team to retain 50%. The deeper we go into the offseason, the more unlikely this becomes. The only signal of hope I'd have is that NYI STILL hasn't announced Palmieri, Cizikas, etc. as signed, but they have key RFAs to sign and I don't think have the space to acquire Tarasenko at full price anymore. Teams like NJ and Carolina still have some cap space, they seem like the most likely teams to me. If it's really a pool of two teams to trade with though, St. Louis isn't going to get much of anything at all back.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta

You move Dobby and it may work too.

I was asking NoCogs what his thoughts were. I'm well aware of our cap space. I was making conversation.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
You move Dobby and it may work too.

I was asking NoCogs what his thoughts were. I'm well aware of our cap space. I was making conversation.

Fair enough, IMO Khudobin's contract probably would have been moved if they could have by now. There were rumors about the Oilers being interested, but haven't heard a peep since. I'd have to go back and look to see how many trades happen a week or two after free agency, but I bet the number is really small. Everyone either has their 23 person roster all set up, or is just haggling with some RFAs to complete their roster at this point. Only thing that will change between now and the regular season are potential injuries.

Found the last 'normal' regular offseason using capfriendly: NHL Trade History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Fair enough, IMO Khudobin's contract probably would have been moved if they could have by now. There were rumors about the Oilers being interested, but haven't heard a peep since. I'd have to go back and look to see how many trades happen a week or two after free agency, but I bet the number is really small. Everyone either has their 23 person roster all set up, or is just haggling with some RFAs to complete their roster at this point. Only thing that will change between now and the regular season are potential injuries.

Found the last 'normal' regular offseason using capfriendly: NHL Trade History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Well, Eichel, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov are still out there as available. Their teams are in no hurry to trade them as they really hold the cards but I can see things happening after some of these arbitration cases are settled too.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Thoughts on bringing in Phil Kessel from Arizona?? Should be able to get AZ to eat 50% of cap hit. Kessel seems like he’d be a perfect offensive addition for the top 6 and PP and seems like his personality would gel in with the group. Trade Dobby to make room and then send picks to AZ?

Just happened to be browsing the rosters for teams and it doesn’t really seem like Arizona actually has a starter, at least not NHL quality one. So maybe they’d be interested in Khudobin? Unless their plan is to shit the bed with their AHL goalies and go for a high pick.

Phil at 50% retained and it should work out cap wise. Some picks added since that’s what they are really after. I guess Dobby’s NTC might block it though…

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
4 goalies

Can you code a bot that just automates this? That would be awesome. The account name could just be '4 goalies'.

Well, Eichel, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov are still out there as available. Their teams are in no hurry to trade them as they really hold the cards but I can see things happening after some of these arbitration cases are settled too.

Funny, I think in every single one of those situations the team is over a barrel, they've basically all burned bridges with the respective players and are about to have some real interesting issues because of it. Wouldn't say the players hold the cards either, but it'll be awkward if Tarasenko or Kuznetsov come into camp. Eichel is just gonna... do nothing I guess?

Just happened to be browsing the rosters for teams and it doesn’t really seem like Arizona actually has a starter, at least not NHL quality one. So maybe they’d be interested in Khudobin? Unless their plan is to shit the bed with their AHL goalies and go for a high pick.

Phil at 50% retained and it should work out cap wise. Some picks added since that’s what they are really after. I guess Dobby’s NTC might block it though…

Good idea in theory, but I think you've read the situation correctly. They could only increase their chances by acquiring Taylor Hall, the ultimate tank commander.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Funny, I think in every single one of those situations the team is over a barrel, they've basically all burned bridges with the respective players and are about to have some real interesting issues because of it. Wouldn't say the players hold the cards either, but it'll be awkward if Tarasenko or Kuznetsov come into camp. Eichel is just gonna... do nothing I guess?

It'll be interesting to see how everything plays out for sure.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Athletic (Dom) did an evaluation of every contact in the NHL by team: By the numbers: Grading every NHL team’s contract efficiency, 2021 edition

Think it's interesting to look at. He had a whole article on the 10 worst contracts in the league and had Seguin on there. I was kind of surprised, but when you think that he hasn't played an entire year and so his last relevant sample size was the awful years under Montgomery where everyone's numbers looked horrible, I guess it does make sense. Also about to hit the bad side of the aging curve.

I think it's a bit pessimistic, but if Seguin doesn't have some sort of bounceback year it isn't too surprising. There was never really much of a chance it would ever be a good deal over its lifetime, but I hope he can come back and at least make it a serviceable one.

My favorite part is that, according to the model, Glendening should be paying the Stars to play in the NHL. Reminds me of watching Formula 2 or 3, which are full of rich guys who wouldn't be there if they didn't pay for their seats in the car. :laugh:

Comments are hilarious as always, people who don't get numbers good being very mad that a mathematical model isn't perfect, and deciding that means they should write the whole thing off.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Athletic (Dom) did an evaluation of every contact in the NHL by team: By the numbers: Grading every NHL team’s contract efficiency, 2021 edition

Think it's interesting to look at. He had a whole article on the 10 worst contracts in the league and had Seguin on there. I was kind of surprised, but when you think that he hasn't played an entire year and so his last relevant sample size was the awful years under Montgomery where everyone's numbers looked horrible, I guess it does make sense. Also about to hit the bad side of the aging curve.

I think it's a bit pessimistic, but if Seguin doesn't have some sort of bounceback year it isn't too surprising. There was never really much of a chance it would ever be a good deal over its lifetime, but I hope he can come back and at least make it a serviceable one.

My favorite part is that, according to the model, Glendening should be paying the Stars to play in the NHL. Reminds me of watching Formula 2 or 3, which are full of rich guys who wouldn't be there if they didn't pay for their seats in the car. :laugh:

Comments are hilarious as always, people who don't get numbers good being very mad that a mathematical model isn't perfect, and deciding that means they should write the whole thing off.
Seems pretty accurate honestly.
He's such a worthless player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Awesome
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad