2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Suggesting Dallas needs a Top 9 forward and a Top 4 defender isn't a sign of hating the team and wanting Nill fired. It's actually quite conservative. How that gets twisted into thinking the team is bad is a little confusing.
i think most of us are right there with you. although i'd see your top 9 and raise you top 6.

the part i struggle with is that the easy way to do things is to deal from a position of strength and fill the gaps. IF the goalies are healthy, i suppose that'd be a position of strength, but they haven't been, and when dobby's #1, it's not a strength.

as crazy as it sounds, i think i'm on board with the, 'go all in' strategy this year. do what you gotta to give this core a legit chance, then suck it up and retool over the next 3 seasons.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
i think most of us are right there with you. although i'd see your top 9 and raise you top 6.

the part i struggle with is that the easy way to do things is to deal from a position of strength and fill the gaps. IF the goalies are healthy, i suppose that'd be a position of strength, but they haven't been, and when dobby's #1, it's not a strength.

as crazy as it sounds, i think i'm on board with the, 'go all in' strategy this year. do what you gotta to give this core a legit chance, then suck it up and retool over the next 3 seasons.

Me too. I see some crap years coming after this one no matter what roster changes we make this year. So just go for it this year.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Everyone is so doom and gloom, and here I an excited for the future sans Nill

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I would love for Nill to find a way to move Dobby. Grab a cheap veteran goalie in case Bishop breaks again and Otter needs a partner. I think just about any quality back up can look adequate in our system. Nill needs to get the best top 4 dman and top 9 forward available.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I wonder if the best thing to do this offseason is get an Oleksiak replacement and nothing else. The current team should be good enough to make the playoffs, so you get half the season to evaluate the youngsters and healed vets, and then know what to load up on at the TDL.

Alternatively, the team is not good enough to make the playoffs, and the TDL signals the start of a quick retool as you sell off Klingberg, Pavelski, Radulov, possibly Comeau and Sekera, and at least one of goalies for what should be an excellent haul of futures.

Either outcome I would be OK with. Mostly I just don't want to be a bubble team at the TDL that does nothing - either buy or sell, because there's too many important expiring contracts to fence-sit this time around.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I wonder if the best thing to do this offseason is get an Oleksiak replacement and nothing else. The current team should be good enough to make the playoffs, so you get half the season to evaluate the youngsters and healed vets, and then know what to load up on at the TDL.

Alternatively, the team is not good enough to make the playoffs, and the TDL signals the start of a quick retool as you sell off Klingberg, Pavelski, Radulov, possibly Comeau and Sekera, and at least one of goalies for what should be an excellent haul of futures.

Either outcome I would be OK with. Mostly I just don't want to be a bubble team at the TDL that does nothing - either buy or sell, because there's too many important expiring contracts to fence-sit this time around.

I think we all know what this team will do at the trade deadline.

See->this year and last years trade deadline. They might add a depth dman though!

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Does he offer anything new in this article? Let me subscription expire once Shapiro left

I let mine expire as well, not because of Shapiro, but I just find it hard to spend that money when I can really live without it. It sucks missing some articles relating to the draft, and prospects, but generally throughout the season there is nothing of value lost. Even when Shapiro was doing the writing.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Interesting little quote here from Coleman. He would definitely have to take a hometown discount if he wants to play here.
upload_2021-7-27_12-12-17.png

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I let mine expire as well, not because of Shapiro, but I just find it hard to spend that money when I can really live without it. It sucks missing some articles relating to the draft, and prospects, but generally throughout the season there is nothing of value lost. Even when Shapiro was doing the writing.

I'm paying $1 a month right now, so it's the only reason I've kept it. :laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sure but that hometown discount would have to be pretty steep to make that and a #4 defenseman work ( + Kivi )

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I cant believe we're still talking about Coleman signing here. Not happening.

Nill needs to do something. This team stinks

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
upload_2021-7-27_11-4-42.png

If Bishop is healthy then Oettinger has to go down to AHL, if Bishop isnt healthy he goes on IR.

Forwards would be better than last year just by return of health to Kivi, Seguin, Radulov. Damiani and Dellandrea on cheap contracts, Dellandrea hopefully bulked up.
Hankanpaa defensive presence on the right, Vatanen offers flexibility.

Not really sure if 1 mil for Kivi, and 1.5 for Hakanpaa & Vatanen are realistic, but this is just for fun.

2/3 lines just kind of mashed together, probably would end up being Kivi, Seguin, Radulov.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Unless Bishop is done and will be heading to LTIR. Nill could have a handshake deal with Coleman for now and sign him once the seasons starts like STL did with Hoffman

other then a trade, there’s no way we’re signing Coleman

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Gotta think that if we're all agreeing on Hakanpaa being a great signing that it 100% won't happen.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I cant believe we're still talking about Coleman signing here. Not happening.

Nill needs to do something. This team stinks
I think the hope is he takes a discount to come home. I am not shutting the door just yet.

The real concern is Klingberg. Dallas can’t keep subtracting players and expect to improve. If he is too expensive than trade him. This team fully healthy is not a cup team. I’m tired of hearing healthy team = cup run.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I think the hope is he takes a discount to come home. I am not shutting the door just yet.

The real concern is Klingberg. Dallas can’t keep subtracting players and expect to improve. If he is too expensive than trade him. This team fully healthy is not a cup team. I’m tired of hearing healthy team = cup run.
What's a hometown discount amount to? Barclay Goodrow just signed a 6x3.6M ticket. Coleman's rumoured at 6x5M. I think it's nonsensical to think this Coleman will pass up his only opportunity to get absolutely paid.

The team has like 6M in available cap space with several roster spots to fill. We should start being realistic- unless Jim Nill is willing to part ways with 2 2nds to dump Khudobin or Bishop's contracts.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
What's a hometown discount amount to? Barclay Goodrow just signed a 6x3.6M ticket. Coleman's rumoured at 6x5M. I think it's nonsensical to think this Coleman will pass up his only opportunity to get absolutely paid.

The team has like 6M in available cap space with several roster spots to fill. We should start being realistic- unless Jim Nill is willing to part ways with 2 2nds to dump Khudobin or Bishop's contracts.
Plus not like that home in Dallas is going away, they can have it for offseason and retire there. There is no reason for him to take a discount on his last payday, especially when the other guy on his line who is worse than him just signed for 6x3.6

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Plus not like that home in Dallas is going away, they can have it for offseason and retire there. There is no reason for him to take a discount on his last payday, especially when the other guy on his line who is worse than him just signed for 6x3.6
Exactly. If you're Coleman and you see Goodrow signs for that.... Hyman rumoured at 7x5M to Edmonton... you just wait for a team to back up their Brink's truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad