2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No but he was one of their top prospects at one point and thus received a high number. Borgman is gonna be some random AHLer for us

It was open i guess. Don't think this really means anything.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
i don't get the care factor about numbers in hockey. football i get it, it's helpful to understand positions, but hockey's just a free for all, no?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
i don't get the care factor about numbers in hockey. football i get it, it's helpful to understand positions, but hockey's just a free for all, no?

Mostly . There's some numbers usually reserved for defenseman , forwards and goalies. Lower single digit is usually defenseman . 7-21 forwards . 1 and the numbers in the 30's goalies.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Came across this and started to wonder what different ways the defensive pairings could go this season.
The all-defense RHD would be ideal partner for Miro as it stands so that should be looked at as a potential pairing. That would most likely mean that Esa and Klinger would have to be broken up to ”accommodate” Suter (I’m sure he was sort of sold on coming here with the prospect of playing with Miro or John). Which would lead to the following:

Miro - Hakanpaa
Suter - Klingberg
Lindell - Sekera

And that might actually be what I'd prefer for the pairings.

But knowing that Suter's chart is the complete opposite of Hakanpaa's so in a vacuum they also fit together playstyle-wise. But that would then leave the likely situation of Miro playing with Sekera and that shouldn't be case at all.

But I guess it might come to it again that Miro plays RD with Suter as his partner.

Suter - Miro
Lindell - Klingberg
Sekera - Hakanpaa

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I've given up trying to foresee optimal defensive pairings ever since the Stars brought in Hamhuis to play with Klingberg. It worked so well, baby Lindell ended up on the top pairing and we drafted Miro... :laugh:

Reactions: Johno

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
It's because he's #elite

It is interesting that we talk about Borgman as a depth signing who will likely be in the AHL. It’s true the Stars have a lot of depth ahead of him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is up more than we think. He played well in Tampa when he had a chance and he was behind some great depth there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hi guys, it is no secret that the Oilers are looking for a goaltender to form a tandem with Mike Smith. I have heard the name Khudobin tossed around and know that you guys have Bishop and signed Holtby as well. My questions are:

1) What is Bishop's injury and how long will he be out?

2) How good of a goalie is Khudobin?

3) How good is Oettinger? I was unaware that you guys had a stud G prospect that has already played 29 NHL games last season.

You guys have great goaltending depth and seem like you'd be a good trading partner for us.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Hi guys, it is no secret that the Oilers are looking for a goaltender to form a tandem with Mike Smith. I have heard the name Khudobin tossed around and know that you guys have Bishop and signed Holtby as well. My questions are:

1) What is Bishop's injury and how long will he be out?

2) How good of a goalie is Khudobin?

3) How good is Oettinger? I was unaware that you guys had a stud G prospect that has already played 29 NHL games last season.

You guys have great goaltending depth and seem like you'd be a good trading partner for us.

Hello sir:

1. I'm actually not sure what his injury is, a knee thing? Someone else can answer that one. How long will he be out is the $4.9M question, and considering the moves made this year, I have to think there's a very strong possibility that Bishop never comes back.

2. He was originally signed as a backup, went on a run to the cup finals, and the Stars awkwardly paid him in the tandem goalie range. I think he's fine if he plays a backup role, or a 1B role where he's definitely the second best goalie on your team. He wasn't very good last year, but he also shouldn't have played as much as he did. He's also pretty old, so there's a risk of the decline being more than circumstantial. Of course, you guys are rolling with Mike Smith, who played on the Stars when I was in high school, so clearly the appetite for risk is there from the Oilers on that front.

3. Unsure. I think he had a fairly close to average season last year, he's really young to have even played NHL games. I would say his trajectory is really promising, and hopefully he can improve to become one of the better starters in the league, someone who is floating around the top 10.

I think the best move is to trade Khudobin at this point, but they should have signed someone way better than Holtby to pair with Oettinger if that were the plan. I have no idea what the plan is with Khudobin, at this point I'd be fine giving him away for 'future considerations' to guarantee that Oettinger is our NHL starter and just hope he grows into the role as the season goes on. Jim Nill has stated he expects to have all three in camp, I'd argue that he said this because he couldn't find a trade for Khudobin, and he's just pretending like he meant for all of this to happen.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hello sir:

1. I'm actually not sure what his injury is, a knee thing? Someone else can answer that one. How long will he be out is the $4.9M question, and considering the moves made this year, I have to think there's a very strong possibility that Bishop never comes back.

2. He was originally signed as a backup, went on a run to the cup finals, and the Stars awkwardly paid him in the tandem goalie range. I think he's fine if he plays a backup role, or a 1B role where he's definitely the second best goalie on your team. He wasn't very good last year, but he also shouldn't have played as much as he did. He's also pretty old, so there's a risk of the decline being more than circumstantial. Of course, you guys are rolling with Mike Smith, who played on the Stars when I was in high school, so clearly the appetite for risk is there from the Oilers on that front.

3. Unsure. I think he had a fairly close to average season last year, he's really young to have even played NHL games. I would say his trajectory is really promising, and hopefully he can improve to become one of the better starters in the league, someone who is floating around the top 10.

I think the best move is to trade Khudobin at this point, but they should have signed someone way better than Holtby to pair with Oettinger if that were the plan. I have no idea what the plan is with Khudobin, at this point I'd be fine giving him away for 'future considerations' to guarantee that Oettinger is our NHL starter and just hope he grows into the role as the season goes on. Jim Nill has stated he expects to have all three in camp, I'd argue that he said this because he couldn't find a trade for Khudobin, and he's just pretending like he meant for all of this to happen.

Hello.

1) That would be terrible as he's still young enough to have 3 or 4 more years in the league.

2) If that is the role that he'd have to play we'd have to hope that Smith doesn't come crashing back down to Earth this season. As you said, very risky to be putting so much stock in a 39 year old goalie. FWIW I was perfectly fine with Smith's deal assuming that we'd bring in a younger goalie to mentor under him and preferably get at least a 50/50 split in starts. I guess the 35 year old Khudobin is indeed younger, just not as much as I had hoped! :lol:

3) It's awesome that you have such a promising young goalie, man do I ever wish we had one of those right now :(

Yeah, I don't get the Holtby situation either. He has a ton of experience but was supposedly quite bad for Vancouver last season. But goalies are weird and maybe Holtby bounces back for you guys.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
In theory its actually 6 goalies all under NHL contracts.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
let's be omlettes ... we are in big trouble if we need to consider Point and Scheel as NHL options since we have 4goalies in the nhl

I also don't think Bishop is an option anymore . Stars don't seem to believe he is either.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sounds like ur thinking more scrambled egg

It's the only way the Holtby signing makes sense. They don't think Bishop is coming back and they don't want the goaltending tandem from last season again . Still don't think Holtby was the best option to get. Sure he played behind an absolute tire fire but he also was not good. Probably the cheapest option that still has some upside.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Thoughts on bringing in Phil Kessel from Arizona?? Should be able to get AZ to eat 50% of cap hit. Kessel seems like he’d be a perfect offensive addition for the top 6 and PP and seems like his personality would gel in with the group. Trade Dobby to make room and then send picks to AZ?

Reactions: JesusNPucks

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Thoughts on bringing in Phil Kessel from Arizona?? Should be able to get AZ to eat 50% of cap hit. Kessel seems like he’d be a perfect offensive addition for the top 6 and PP and seems like his personality would gel in with the group. Trade Dobby to make room and then send picks to AZ?
Yes, do it. Whatever issues, real or speculated, he's a gamer. The Stars need gamers for a "killer instinct" in the playoffs.

Reactions: Dallasman

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
He's in one of those weird situations where his production has most certainly taken a hit because of the team he's on, and despite having a little bit of a rebound season, he shot a career high shooting percentage, so it was a bit of a lucky season. He's going to be too expensive to trade to the Stars at half price, and it would still put us well over the cap without trading back salary, so I'm not sure we're ideal trade partners. In a vacuum, he would definitely be a fun player to add though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad