2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Seems like we are basically set after a million signings. No clue what the lines are going to look like after all the additions, but I’ll put together what I’d like to see.

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Kiviranta - Seguin - Radulov
Benn - Faksa - Gurianov
Raffl - Glendening - Comeau

Lindell - Heiskanen
Suter - Klingberg
Sekera - Hankypanky

Oettinger
Khudobin

We are over the cap and not sure what to do about Holtby. I understand he’ll likely play and Oettinger will be in the AHL, but still not happy about it. Also, we are cap compliant to start the season, but that changes if Bishop comes off LTIR. Not really sure what to do about Faksa either as he sticks out like a sore thumb on that line.

Thats how id like the line up to start with as well, i guess we will see what chemistry occurs in camp but looks strong.

Really hoping Jake becomes a bonafide number 1. If he does i think Dobby will be traded for a mid rd pick.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
The thing that makes me scratch my head is that these moves force Benn to the wing after he actually looked good last year at center. I liked the idea of having 3 centers who could chip in offense at a decent rate and Faksa being part of a checking line, but Glendening makes things crowded, and I'm not sure he plays wing, so I guess at the expense of Benn moving back to LW, Glendening gets to be a center? Interested to see how long they hang on to Benn at LW.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
The thing that makes me scratch my head is that these moves force Benn to the wing after he actually looked good last year at center. I liked the idea of having 3 centers who could chip in offense at a decent rate and Faksa being part of a checking line, but Glendening makes things crowded, and I'm not sure he plays wing, so I guess at the expense of Benn moving back to LW, Glendening gets to be a center? Interested to see how long they hang on to Benn at LW.

I think Benn, Faksa, Gurianov is a good line. From memory played 3 to 4 games together late in season as a line with a great forecheck with skill to do scoring damage.

Id rather that be a line than move Faksa to 4th line personally.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I think Benn, Faksa, Gurianov is a good line. From memory played 3 to 4 games together late in season as a line with a great forecheck with skill to do scoring damage.

Id rather that be a line than move Faksa to 4th line personally.

If you roll 4 lines, 4th is just a number. You'd have all of the lines more or less playing ~12 minutes ES with special teams getting the rest of the time. I do agree that Gurianov and Benn seemed to do all right as a pairing, even if I think Gurianov was very misused last year in general. I don't have a lot of memory of that line in particular, so I'll take your word for it.

Also, sorry if it felt like I was targeting your lineup specifically, I've just seen every post about our new lineup feature Benn at LW, from beat writers to fans, and your post gave an opportunity to discuss it. To be honest, I've never really thought much about lineups in general because the NHL has constantly juggled lines anyway, so was mostly just concerned that we would be getting less out of Benn because of some signings we made.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't see Benn as a center long-term. It didn't work well when he was a much better player, so I wouldn't expect it to work now.

There's a pretty good chance one of Seguin/Hintz/Faksa are hurt at any given moment as well, so Benn can slot in for them if needed.

Reactions: 93Crazed101

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I don't see Benn as a center long-term. It didn't work well when he was a much better player, so I wouldn't expect it to work now.

There's a pretty good chance one of Seguin/Hintz/Faksa are hurt at any given moment as well, so Benn can slot in for them if needed.

That seems like the most plausible thing at this point. You don't sign Glendening (c'mon seriously, why), Raffl (not disappointed just think the money could have been better allocated), and re-sign Comeau unless you've penciled Faksa in the Top 9.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
That seems like the most plausible thing at this point. You don't sign Glendening (c'mon seriously, why), Raffl (not disappointed just think the money could have been better allocated), and re-sign Comeau unless you've penciled Faksa in the Top 9.

I think Glendening is a good signing. Were a puck posession team, his faceoff skill is important for us having the puck. Hes basically Dickinson but can win us draws and get our D the puck. At a similair salary.

We learnt last year injuries happen, we will have patches in season where 2 to 3 players are out with injury or covid. You need 15 NHL level fwds.

Dellandrea, Damiani will all get their chance but hopefully in games where they are on a top 3 line getting a chance to use their skillset. But if we are earmarking those guys the starting spots, then injuries happen....were down to relying on Kero, Gardner and those guys too much again.

I like our centre depth. Our top 2 centres are high skill players, our bottom 2 centres are strong defensively and good at faceoffs.

I personally could have gone without Raffl and Holtby, and used that 3.1m on a better winger. But still like how much depth we have, particularly at centre.

And our D :cool::D

Reactions: Magic Mittens

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Not being a fan of a particular veteran doesn't automatically signal concern about rookies getting playing time. That's why I didn't mention Damiani or Dellandrea.

You can call him a Dickinson replacement, but he's not. While not supremely effective in the offensive zone, he wasn't out of place up in the Top 6 when needed. That's not remotely close to what Glendening offers.

If you're going to spend money for a veteran 4th line center, there were better veterans available for close to the same money. Bonino in particular gets only $500K more and he's a major upgrade. You could legitimately argue he's an upgrade to Dickinson as well. Bonino is a 3rd line center. Dallas would then have 5 potential Top 9 centers to handle those injuries you referred to.

At the end of the day, both Glendening and Raffl stop you from actually addressing a weakness. It's also not the end of the world, but dressing it up as a Dickinson replacement is just putting lipstick on a pig.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
The more I look at our cap situation the next few years the more I’m convinced we’re gonna trade Klingberg.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The more I look at our cap situation the next few years the more I’m convinced we’re gonna trade Klingberg.

Nah that won't happen. Nill will sign him long term on a horrible contract unless Klingberg just doesn't wanna be here, which in that case he goes to free agency. He's too difficult to replace right now unless they feel Harley is ready and just like with Oleksiak they won't move him

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Unless its a trade that makes the team somehow better next season that won't happen. This year the team is going for it. They're not trading Klingberg for future assets while trying to win. Just not happening.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Kiviranta - Seguin - Radulov
Benn - Faksa - Gurianov
Raffl - Glendening - Comeau

Lindell - Heiskanen
Suter - Klingberg
Sekera - Hakanpaa

Oettinger
???????

That would give us 3 scoring lines as well as a solid 4th line. I don’t see how Oettinger doesn’t grab #1. Not sure about the defensive pairings but we’ve got a top - 4 and solid 3rd pair.

Last edited:

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
You've got to question the logic of Mascherin and/or his reps for him signing in Europe. I mean he absolutely is the type of NHL/AHL tweener that could end up over there, but you have a legitimate shot at NHL games in Dallas. More so when they don't address the Top 9 depth.

Mascherin was potentially a single injury from Top 9vminutes and probably PP time.

I'm not disappointed from a Stars perspective too much, but this is such a peculiar decision. I think the kid and his reps probably set his career back. He just robbed himself from a shot at NHL games, and if and when he returns, he will have a ton of younger, Top 9 options to fight with including Bourque and the skilled forwards drafted in 2020.

I get a 25+ year old guy chasing Euro money. They should. If your dream was to make the NHL, I don't see how this contract is anything but a setback.

Frankly, its idiotic and you have to question his judgment or faith in himself. His primary completion for first call up in a scoring roll was Damiani. There's not much else.

I think this is a boneheaded move that hurts the player.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You've got to question the logic of Mascherin and/or his reps for him signing in Europe. I mean he absolutely is the type of NHL/AHL tweener that could end up over there, but you have a legitimate shot at NHL games in Dallas. More so when they don't address the Top 9 depth.

Mascherin was potentially a single injury from Top 9vminutes and probably PP time.

I'm not disappointed from a Stars perspective too much, but this is such a peculiar decision. I think the kid and his reps probably set his career back. He just robbed himself from a shot at NHL games, and if and when he returns, he will have a ton of younger, Top 9 options to fight with including Bourque and the skilled forwards drafted in 2020.

I get a 25+ year old guy chasing Euro money. They should. If your dream was to make the NHL, I don't see how this contract is anything but a setback.

Frankly, its idiotic and you have to question his judgment or faith in himself. His primary completion for first call up in a scoring roll was Damiani. There's not much else.

I think this is a boneheaded move that hurts the player.
He was having a great season in the AHL, and we rolled out Dowling, Kero, Gardner, Caamano, Cogliano consistently all the while without 2 top 6 forwards, and were out of the POs for basically the whole year and he didn't get a look, why would he now with those 2 healthy and all the same grinders +raffl and glendening available.

Hell even Dellandrea somehow got NHL games over him

Last edited:

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
That was a crazy season with COVID restrictions and a taxi squad. He was right where he should have been.

I'm not saying your argument is flimsy, it isn't. BUT if that is the logic he used to make the decision, its flimsy and illogical. Like I said, that's on him not what I think about your comment.

Everything seems poised for a normal 2021-22. The taxi squad solution that was imperative from a league POV because of COVID kept quite a few players in the AHL. There wasn't a need for a bunch of AHL to NHL transactions.

This year isn't last year and Dallas Top 9 is neither stacked nor a particularly healthy bunch. There is no way this guy wasn't getting NHL time ... likely significant.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
That was a crazy season with COVID restrictions and a taxi squad. He was right where he should have been.

I'm not saying your argument is flimsy, it isn't. BUT if that is the logic he used to make the decision, its flimsy and illogical. Like I said, that's on him not what I think about your comment.

Everything seems poised for a normal 2021-22. The taxi squad solution that was imperative from a league POV because of COVID kept quite a few players in the AHL. There wasn't a need for a bunch of AHL to NHL transactions.

This year isn't last year and Dallas Top 9 is neither stacked nor a particularly healthy bunch. There is no way this guy wasn't getting NHL time ... likely significant.

That didn't stop them from sending Dellandrea down or, as someone mentioned previously, calling up Point. Why would Mascherin be a special case?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That didn't stop them from sending Dellandrea down or, as someone mentioned previously, calling up Point. Why would Mascherin be a special case?

Point never played he was just up because a goalie was hurt. Dellandrea was never send up and down. He was send down when it became clear he wasn't quite ready and was getting scratched too much . Then he played alot in the last AHL games

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Yeah this isn't that complicated ...

No one was clamoring that Dallas was screwing up by not calling up Mascherin and Damiani last season. This is revisionist thinking.

That full season set him up for this opportunity he's blown. He wasn't going to play ahead of the FCC line or Dickinson, and he makes no sense on the 4th line. Benn, Gurianov, Pavelski, and Robertson missed minimal games. Hintz playing was unpredictable and he got into quite a few games.

There was no need for Mascherin or Damiani last year given Dallas only had a Top 6 last year because of the commitment to the FCC line.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Yeah this isn't that complicated ...

No one was clamoring that Dallas was screwing up by not calling up Mascherin and Damiani last season. This is revisionist thinking.

That full season set him up for this opportunity he's blown. He wasn't going to play ahead of the FCC line or Dickinson, and he makes no sense on the 4th line. Benn, Gurianov, Pavelski, and Robertson missed minimal games. Hintz playing was unpredictable and he got into quite a few games.

There was no need for Mascherin or Damiani last year given Dallas only had a Top 6 last year because of the commitment to the FCC line.

It me. GDT: - [#49] CandyCanes @ Stars 7:30 CT (BSSW+, BSSO, ESPN+)

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I think you're reaching, there's like zero chance Mascherin gets any significant NHL time this year.

They will dole out more minutes to players on the bottom of the roster and call up grinders like Dellandrea, L'Esperance, gardner, caamano and kero
To fill in on the 4th lines. Just like last year.
It's what coaches like bones, Monty and Hitch do.
It's not the best player for a specific role, it's the safest option

Veteran > 2way kid > skilled kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad