Speculation: 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
Truly f***ing pathetic off-season so far by Murray. If he misses out on Eichel, signs a couple tweeners/implies Mctavish is our big addition and calls it a day, then tries to spew some bullshit about how we have guys internally who can step up, I’m gonna lose my mind. If he doesn’t do something about this roster he deserves to get canned immediately, and if he really doesn’t, would not at all be surprised to see Gibson request a trade publicly early on in the season

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras looking a lot stronger in his last ig post.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 4.58.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 4.58.18 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It isn't though. Buffalo ended up like buffalo because they gave out many, many horrid FA deals and also made a couple terrible trades involving their best players.

We really haven't done anything that remotely resembles buffalo or Edmonton.
This may not be THE way that Buffalo and Edmonton got to be Edmonton and Buffalo, but the finished product is starting to look pretty similar.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This may not be THE way that Buffalo and Edmonton got to be Edmonton and Buffalo, but the finished product is starting to look pretty similar.
Why would you think this is the finished product though?

Our best prospects haven't even really had a chance to not be prospects yet.

Reactions: Kalv

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Why would you think this is the finished product though?

Our best prospects haven't even really had a chance to not be prospects yet.
We are a bottom 2 roster and just took a projected 2C as our consolation prize. There’s no guarantee Zegras will be an effective 1C. Our defensive depth is poor once the 3 guys (+Shattenkirk) everyone wants gone are gone. We have a head case goalie who allegedly wants out. UFA’s do not come to California. If all the current prospects absolutely pan out, this is a 6-9th seed type roster.

CAN the next two clearly tanking drafts turn the franchise around? Absolutely. Is the current team comparable to Buffalo/Classic Edmonton…yeah.

Reactions: mightyquack

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We are a bottom 2 roster and just took a projected 2C as our consolation prize. There’s no guarantee Zegras will be an effective 1C. Our defensive depth is poor once the 3 guys (+Shattenkirk) everyone wants gone are gone. We have a head case goalie who allegedly wants out. UFA’s do not come to California. If all the current prospects absolutely pan out, this is a 6-9th seed type roster.

CAN the next two clearly tanking drafts turn the franchise around? Absolutely. Is the current team comparable to Buffalo/Classic Edmonton…yeah.
I don't think it's very fair to compare our year 2/3 rebuild to year 6/7/8 Edmonton and buffalo rebuild.

But yeah, if every worst case scenario that you listed occurs we will continue to be bad, as any team would if all of their worst case scenarios occurred as well.

Reactions: Kalv and imbatman

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't think it's very fair to compare our year 2/3 rebuild to year 6/7/8 Edmonton and buffalo rebuild.

But yeah, if every worst case scenario that you listed occurs we will continue to be bad, as any team would if all of their worst case scenarios occurred as well.
I think it’s fair to compare our 3 year rebuild to their 3 year rebuild though. Do you feel any strong feeling that BM is a steadying hand on the tiller at this point?

edit - I don’t think that was a worst case scenario, I think it was a fairly honest assessment of the current state of the franchise.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think it’s fair to compare our 3 year rebuild to their 3 year rebuild though. Do you feel any strong feeling that BM is a steadying hand on the tiller at this point?

edit - I don’t think that was a worst case scenario, I think it was a fairly honest assessment of the current state of the franchise.
I'm not ready to commit an opinion on Bob's ability to rebuild the team a second time until this rebuild is somewhat over.

Rebuilding teams assume risk, that is the nature of the draft. Nothing can be done about that.

Most of the things you said were like steps 8-9 of worse case scenarios. Would our defense be bad if the best three left? Well, yeah. Would it be bad if zegras didn't end up a 1C? Of course. Are those things destined, or even likely to happen? I doubt it very much.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The best case against us being buffalo or Edmonton is that Bob already rebuilt a team successfully with stars in place. Neither of those other teams were able to do that.

Reactions: Kalv

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I'm not ready to commit an opinion on Bob's ability to rebuild the team until the rebuild is somewhat over.

Rebuilding teams assume risk, that is the nature of the draft. Nothing can be done about that.

Most of the things you said were like steps 8-9 of worse case scenarios. Would our defense be bad if the best three left? Well, yeah. Would it be bad if zegras didn't end up a 1C? Of course. Are those things destined, or even likely to happen? I doubt it very much.
I think 1-2 of Lindholm/Fowler/Manson will be gone in 2 years, unless they want to take less money to stay with a rebuilding team on their cash-in contracts.

I think Zegras will be a top line player, and could be a top 10 wing, but I think it’s fair to question if he will be a top 15-20 center.

Who other than Comtois projects safely as a top line even complementary talent unless they absolutely hit it out of the park? Who other than Drysdale looks like top 4 talent? I’m not trying to be difficult, I just think we have a lot of middle 6 prospects.

Agreed on the rebuilding thing. But most teams who crater out don’t turn into Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad