Speculation: 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
I love what Murray is doing with the team. He and Eakins are the ultimate altruists. This roster is probably historically bad. There is almost no way they finish outside of bottom 3. No doubt, both Murray and Eakins are on the block. BUT, we are one terrible season away from being completely primed for the future. Add Wright to Zegras, Comtois, Drysdale, McTavish etc. for the foreseeable future. Barstool will go down in infamy, Eakins will get canned, but their legacy will live on as Solomon and “next coach” get the credit for turning the ship around!
What if we get screwed in the lottery again?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Few things in life are certain, but us getting screwed in the lottery is one of those certain things! That’s why we have to finish last, to have the best chance at top 3!
Last in the whole league automatic gets a top 3 pick with the changes they made to the draft lottery.
That is what makes tanking for the 2022 draft worth it, dead last gets at least Savoie at #3 with a chance you get Lambert at #2 or Wright #1.

Imagine a line up of:
Zegras/McTavish/Rakell
Comtois/Savoie/Perreault - The French Connection.
Pastujov/Lundestrom/Terry
Jones/Steel/Volkov

Last edited:

GermanRocket7

Played silly not to draft Fantilli
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
I wonder why so many of you assume we will win a lot of games because we are in a weak division. We still have the worst 3+ year NHL head coach of the century* behind the bench, who does nothing but pissing off his players.

* referencing NHL record books, Eakins is 4th among all head coaches that have _also_ coached in the 21st century in P%-.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I wonder why so many of you assume we will win a lot of games because we are in a weak division. We still have the worst 3+ year NHL head coach of the century* behind the bench, who does nothing but pissing off his players.

* referencing NHL record books, Eakins is 4th among all head coaches that have _also_ coached in the 21st century in P%-.

We do have a slew of new assistant coaches. Maybe we could improve our PP unit from mediocre to average.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
All tanking discussion aside, if we trot out that lineup this year I think we might actually see Gibson have an aneurysm during one of the games.

I predict there's gonna be a lot of "Gibson is off tonight with a lower body injury" statements from Dan Wood and John Ahlers on the broadcasts

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
All tanking discussion aside, if we trot out that lineup this year I think we might actually see Gibson have an aneurysm during one of the games.

It's a good thing we introduced Stolarz into this situation last year so he won't be dumbstruck and overwhelmed along with Dostal saving our butts in the AHL!

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Give McTavish and Groulx 9 games to start the season. Begin with

Comtois-Zegras-Terry
McTavish-Getzlaf-Rakell
Henrique-Lundestrom-Silfverberg
Jones-Groulx-Steel

Insert Grant, Deslauriers, etc later when players get sent down

Reactions: Zegras11

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Comtois-Zegras-Terry
McTavish-Getzlaf-Rakell
Jones-Groulx-Steel

McTavish is the type of player the Getz is used to playing with on his wing, but I want to see McTavish at center. If we're going to test McTavish out to keep at the NHL level this season, then I want to see 9 games at center as we're preparing to move on from Getz.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Comtois-Zegras-Terry
McTavish-Getzlaf-Rakell
Jones-Groulx-Steel

Grouxl is past needing 9 games for a year to kick in, he can go up and down as we please.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Grouxl is past needing 9 games for a year to kick in, he can go up and down as we please.
Doesn't have to be 9 games specifically for him but I'd like to similarly give him an early opportunity to make the team. After 5-10 games if he doesn't look ready send him back down

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
More and more i think this team is picking Top3 again.
NJ, Detroit, Vancouver, LA are improving.

I see it coming down to Buffalo, Phoenix, Anaheim and Columbus.
Seattle should be better than that, they still will have that new team buzz but just won't be a playoff team.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
More and more i think this team is picking Top3 again.
NJ, Detroit, Vancouver, LA are improving.

I see it coming down to Buffalo, Phoenix, Anaheim and Columbus.
Seattle should be better than that, they still will have that new team buzz but just won't be a playoff team.
I think it would be a nice cap on our "retool" to get one of those 3 centers. It has to be on Bob's mind. If we also get a couple of assets for Getz and Rakell in his contract year, it could set us up nicely.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think it would be a nice cap on our "retool" to get one of those 3 centers. It has to be on Bob's mind. If we also get a couple of assets for Getz and Rakell in his contract year, it could set us up nicely.
Especially if Rakell wants big money but i can't blame him for wanting that, to stay on this bad team he's gonna want money and as a UFA he could pick to sign with a contender.
I just hope he helps develop Zegras a little before Rakell is moved at the deadline.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'm not sure why Drysdale is getting penciled into the top 4, yes he showed tremendous upside but he also got exposed the longer he was up i still think we should be taking things slowly with him
Fleury carried that line toward the end of the season.

Reactions: Deuce22

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Apologies for the lack of education, but what's the deal with Drysdale, the OHL and AHL? Is it still OHL or NHL for Drysdale, or can he be sent to the Gulls? I seem to recall that it's still OHL and NHL only, in which case I would prefer to have Drysdale sheltered in the NHL.

Best case scenario, he should be going and dominating the A rather than being up here.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Apologies for the lack of education, but what's the deal with Drysdale, the OHL and AHL? Is it still OHL or NHL for Drysdale, or can he be sent to the Gulls? I seem to recall that it's still OHL and NHL only, in which case I would prefer to have Drysdale sheltered in the NHL.

Best case scenario, he should be going and dominating the A rather than being up here.
Drysdale didn't play enough AHL games for the AHL to be an option, so it's CHL/NHL for him, unless they decide to include NHL games played in the calculation. It's good news for Perreault, who can return to the Gulls.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It's OHL or NHL for him. Perreault is the one who is eligible for the AHL this coming season, in a bizarre loophole that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

But I think I completely disagree with most of you. Drysdale is an elite level prospect and had the normal and expected bumps at the end of a ridiculously compacted schedule in his first year as a pro that you would expect. If he didn't have that it would have been weird. He's going to come back stronger and more prepared for it mentally this year. I think sending him back to the OHL to play against kids wouldn't really help him all that much.

If he's truly overmatched and struggling out there you can always make the determination to send him back in the middle of the season

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Morally I'm ready for being a bottom feeder once again, albeit I am concerned how it would be taken by Gibson, Lindholm, Rakell, and Getzlaf regarding moving forward. And the coaching team that was seriously improved this offseason.
On thing though, I would want us to be competitive. This last year we were losing but were actually more fun to watch than, say, last Carlyle team (not much, but oh well). Dudes were fighting for the ice, youngsters played well, etc.

However, I think being around #10 is not bad either. Moving a bit towards our goal of being a playoff team, give bigger roles to the young guys, etc. Remember, we drafted Zegras at #9, and the Coyotes got Guenther (who was pencilled to be our pick at #3) at #9 as well. That is still a great spot to pick talent in the draft. Even though there seems to be a consensus top 3 for the next draft, when have things NOT change in the last pre-draft year? They always are, so I see no reason to ''hoping we lose enough so we pick in the top 3''. First of all, that is losers mentality and second of all, that is not as clear-cut as it might seem.

Right now I don't see us as a playoff team, but will see what roster we ice in October.

Reactions: JabbaJabba
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's OHL or NHL for him. Perreault is the one who is eligible for the AHL this coming season, in a bizarre loophole that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

But I think I completely disagree with most of you. Drysdale is an elite level prospect and had the normal and expected bumps at the end of a ridiculously compacted schedule in his first year as a pro that you would expect. If he didn't have that it would have been weird. He's going to come back stronger and more prepared for it mentally this year. I think sending him back to the OHL to play against kids wouldn't really help him all that much.

If he's truly overmatched and struggling out there you can always make the determination to send him back in the middle of the season
I think we can all agree that Drysdale is an elite prospect and that having the option of sending him to San Diego could only be a good thing.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
New numbers on our website:

Terry: 19 (this is his favorite jersey number I guess. He had 61 because that's essentially an upside down ''19'')
Lundestrom: 21
Comtois: 44

Zegras and Drysdale remain with their first ones. It seems to me that our management is letting players chose their numbers only after one full season. It used to be a bit faster IIRC, we would had given Z and Drysdale their numbers already. Zegras recently indicated he would like to have #13 (because of Datsyuk) – only a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->