Speculation: 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think 1-2 of Lindholm/Fowler/Manson will be gone in 2 years, unless they want to take less money to stay with a rebuilding team on their cash-in contracts.

I think Zegras will be a top line player, and could be a top 10 wing, but I think it’s fair to question if he will be a top 15-20 center.

Who other than Comtois projects safely as a top line even complementary talent unless they absolutely hit it out of the park? Who other than Drysdale looks like top 4 talent? I’m not trying to be difficult, I just think we have a lot of middle 6 prospects.

Agreed on the rebuilding thing. But most teams who crater out don’t turn into Chicago.
You could be right, but we do have to pay players. I doubt they'd have to take much of a discount to stay if we really want them. If they don't want to stay, then we have a ton of space next year to replace them. It's not like we are replacing the core of a successful team.

The top line stuff is right, and why I want eichel so badly. Teams have to either luck out in the lottery or luck out drafting a player later who absolutely pops. That's really a roll of the dice, but one that has to be accepted if you want to advocate for a rebuild.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
You could be right, but we do have to pay players. I doubt they'd have to take much of a discount to stay if we really want them. If they don't want to stay, then we have a ton of space next year to replace them. It's not like we are replacing the core of a successful team.

The top line stuff is right, and why I want eichel so badly. Teams have to either luck out in the lottery or luck out drafting a player later who absolutely pops. That's really a roll of the dice, but one that has to be accepted if you want to advocate for a rebuild.
I get that about Eichel. I just have concerns about (assuming best case scenario and he’s still Eichel post surgery) that this team would strip so many assets that the team will be wasting at least 3 of the 5 years on his contract before sniffing the playoffs again.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
Between us, Buffalo, Arizona and whoever else, I feel like the nhl would prefer us to land wright. Can you imagine the marketing they can get it with wright and zegras

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It isn't though. Buffalo ended up like buffalo because they gave out many, many horrid FA deals and also made a couple terrible trades involving their best players.

We really haven't done anything that remotely resembles buffalo or Edmonton.
This. Plus their draft didn't produce much talent (applies also to Edmonton).

Of course, the results are bad for our team but I think we're very different from Edmonton and Buffalo.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think 1-2 of Lindholm/Fowler/Manson will be gone in 2 years, unless they want to take less money to stay with a rebuilding team on their cash-in contracts.

I think Zegras will be a top line player, and could be a top 10 wing, but I think it’s fair to question if he will be a top 15-20 center.

Who other than Comtois projects safely as a top line even complementary talent unless they absolutely hit it out of the park? Who other than Drysdale looks like top 4 talent? I’m not trying to be difficult, I just think we have a lot of middle 6 prospects.

Agreed on the rebuilding thing. But most teams who crater out don’t turn into Chicago.

Defensive in the system.
I'm loving LaCombe, Thrun, Moore, and Zellweger. LaCombe and Thrun, imo, are top-4 candidates who are probably set to come to the pro side after their third year in the NCAA's this year. Both are two-way defensemen, but LaCombe specializes in offense while Thrun is the thumper. Moore is rising fast and is a RHD, but he's probably two to three years away from turning pro. Zellweger is two years away from the AHL.

The low-key defensemen are probably RHD Andersson and Hinds, who can fill in the bottom pairing. Andersson is already at the AHL level.

Offense
Other top line talents that the Ducks have in their system at a forward are RW Perreault and C/LW McTavish. Perreault has Lucas Raymond-like tool kit and proved he is motivated to play a full 200ft game last year in the AHL. Raymond was drafted 4th overall in the 2020 draft. While you believe reports that McTavish is only 2C max, I think there's a lot more to his game based upon the reports I've read. There's a possibility that he could center Zegras.

At the NHL level, our top talents are Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler. I would try to keep those three around because we do have the money to retain their services and shelter our youths along help from Gibby, Stolarz, and Dostal.

What we are missing are established top-6 players today. I don't include Comtois and Zegras just yet. And I don't know what we have with the surgically repaired Silf. We need our veteran guys to be carrying the team while our youths, but it hasn't happened during the past three years, which is what GM Murray was expecting to happen. The past three years sucked, but at least we've been able to find franchise-type players with Zegras and Drysdale. Last year I knew it was a youth movement year 2 because we didn't do much and incurred Backes' contract to help land a second first round pick, which turned out to be Perreault.

We got put into a tough division last year, facing Colorado, Vegas, Minny, and St. Louis eight times each. This year, we're part of the weakest division. That's scary because we could do much better this year, but it doesn't take away that we don't have enough top-6 talent going forward unless a few players step up big time. Can we coach them up? We do have three new assistant coaches this season as well as a new AHL coaching crew. This path is a slow path, but there are a plethora of prospects coming up soon. That's the only silver lining we have if we don't do anything this offseason.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
From the Hockey Writers: Continuing Comtois’ Development Is Important for Ducks’ Future Success

It's a good write up and projection that Comtois could become a 30-goal scorer next year.

The youth movement took steps last year to help carry the team, which is a significant step forward. Compare us to the LA Kings, their youth movement is still waiting to make the same impact as the Ducks as their aging veterans were relied upon to prop them up last year, separated by only 6 points in the final standings. This shows the Ducks are moving in the right direction, but at a slower pace if it's only via the draft. Comtois isn't the only youth that is budding. He'll be helped along with Zegras and Drysdale, who gave the Ducks a boost into what the future could look like with their 24 NHL games debut.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Stephens's latest projected lineup

upload_2021-8-12_14-22-38.png

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Still don't understand why people want Carrick in the NHL. Yes I'm sure he'd be just fine on the 4th line, however he's emerged as the heart and soul leader of San Diego and I have no idea why people think having him replace Deslauriers on the 4th line is better for the organization than having him be the much needed leader our prospects need as they transition to pro hockey.

Reactions: ShadowDuck

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Reactions: JohnnyDrama

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
In what world would Fowler ever get $3 million? No matter what your opinion of him is, that’s completely unrealistic. Any model that implies that is what he should be making is out to lunch.

There's definitely a few blind spots with his model. The glaring one to me is Shattenkirk's contract rates as the best among our defense. Fowler might be overpaid, but I'd take his deal over Shattenkirk's every single time.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Still don't understand why people want Carrick in the NHL. Yes I'm sure he'd be just fine on the 4th line, however he's emerged as the heart and soul leader of San Diego and I have no idea why people think having him replace Deslauriers on the 4th line is better for the organization than having him be the much needed leader our prospects need as they transition to pro hockey.

From my perspective, Carrick is a better hockey player overall, more deserving of those minutes, and generally has earned an NHL role with his body of work for this organization. It sends the right message to young players when the most deserving guys are in the lineup. I bet a lot of those young players who have spent time with Carrick in the AHL were thrilled to see him join them with the big club. The NHL lineup badly needs more heart/grit/desperation etc, and we should reward the guy who embodies those traits as much as anyone we have under contract.

In the end I'm absolutely in agreement that it helps having a guy like that in San Diego, so having him make the NHL roster isn't a hill I'd die on. I just really think this guy has belonged on the NHL for the past 6-7 years and would like to see him get his due. Glad we are paying him 1 way money regardless.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Carrick should replace Grant but he actually proved he can play with higher end players and had chemistry with Getzlaf last season
I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 2nd or 3rd line next season

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Its interesting. For me what Id really like to see is Rakell back with MC and if we are going to keep Rico then put Terry with him.
MC-Zegras-Rakell
Lundestrom-Rico-Terry
Steel-Getzlaf-Silf
Jones-Grant- Volkov/Carrick.
I like this version MUCH better. Of course, barring acquisition of a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad