2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So, are we wanting Coronato? Sillinger? Chibrikov? L'Heureux maybe? Definitely a forward.

if we pick at 16th, I hope either Sillinger or Chaz Lucis falls to us or MB does something he doesn't like to do and trades up for either. I didn't see any Q games this year so I can't speak to any picks there. I haven't seen Chibrikov.

If we can't get either Sillinger or Lucis, then I would rather see us trade down for Coronato as it's tough to really say with him as he had an outstanding season but was 18 for almost all of it, and I don't know how his game will translate to the pros as he was on a stacked team for sure but it's hard to overlook those numbers he put up and has been just as good in the playoffs leading the league in goals and points.

But I like Samoskevich more then Coronato though it's very close. The only reason why is when I had a hockey.tv sub it was at the start of the season and the 2 prospects played on a line with Farrell. I thought Samoskevich looked better but then he got injured and I no longer had a subscription for hockey.tv I really like the fact that he's going to Michigan next year vs Coronato going to Harvard with Farrell. I would not mind getting either player though. Another I would consider from that team is Ryan Ufko in the 2nd round and maybe a 7th round pick on another defeensemen from that team in Jack Bar who is going to be joining Farrell and Coronato at Havard.

Reactions: habsfan92

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
if we pick at 16th, I hope either Sillinger or Chaz Lucis falls to us or MB does something he doesn't like to do and trades up for either. I didn't see any Q games this year so I can't speak to any picks there. I haven't seen Chibrikov.

If we can't get either Sillinger or Lucis, then I would rather see us trade down for Coronato as it's tough to really say with him as he had an outstanding season but was 18 for almost all of it, and I don't know how his game will translate to the pros as he was on a stacked team for sure but it's hard to overlook those numbers he put up and has been just as good in the playoffs leading the league in goals and points.

But I like Samoskevich more then Coronato though it's very close. The only reason why is when I had a hockey.tv sub it was at the start of the season and the 2 prospects played on a line with Farrell. I thought Samoskevich looked better but then he got injured and I no longer had a subscription for hockey.tv I really like the fact that he's going to Michigan next year vs Coronato going to Harvard with Farrell. I would not mind getting either player though. Another I would consider from that team is Ryan Ufko in the 2nd round and maybe a 7th round pick on another defeensemen from that team in Jack Bar who is going to be joining Farrell and Coronato at Havard.
Bar has climbed up to 2nd/early 3rd on a lot of lists - Bob Mac has him 58th

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Coronato between regular season and playoffs has 55 goals in 57 games, f*** me that's sick. He's at a 1.67 ppg, Farrell is at a 1.8 for reference (year older)

Bar has climbed up to 2nd/early 3rd on a lot of lists - Bob Mac has him 58th

I wouldn't take him that high, looks like a defensive D.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Any love for Josh Roy?

Yeah, I'd be ok with him too.

I have a question concerning that sim draft. It has us at the 18th spot in the draft. I don't get it. If we're 16th among playoff teams shouldn't that place us at 17th (15 nonplayoff teams + Seattle) minus the Arizona pick? According to my flawed math, we should be picking 16th.

We're picking 16th. No idea why they have us at 18th.

Reactions: bopeep

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC

Agreed.

In the mid-range part of this draft they're the two forwards I like most, Chaz Lucius moreso than Sillinger. The Pinellis and McTavishes of this draft are nice, but their skillset is less dynamic and they'd fit in-between 18-25th in this year's draft.

Coronato is also pretty good, saw him play a bit alongside Farrell, but I haven't seen enough to really have a clear idea on the kid. He seemed pretty talented the couple games I did watch though. Since I haven't seen Samoskevich play at all I'll take your word for him versus Coronato.

As for the Q, Bourgault and L'Heureux are nice, but more of the early-second, late-first type picks with second line upside, not players we should be using our 16th on when guys with more potential arer available, even though they are good Québécois.

But yeah, the pickings are slim this year overall. No clear-cut first overall pick, the top 7-8 is a bit weaker than usual, the class is massively underscouted, and after the top 20-25 picks the potential upside drops down fast. There will be quite a few good NHLers and some stars coming out of this draft, but not much more.

It's just not a good draft to have a bajillion picks for. If this was like 2003 we'd be in business and be in a position to really stabilize this franchise for the next decade+, but it's nowhere near as good a draft and definitely more akin to 2012.

Reactions: montreal

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
16th is a very good spot. Somebody good will fall to us. Cossa and Ceulemans would fit real well in our prospect pool. If not these two, one of Lucis or Sillinger would also be nice.

I think RH defense is our weakest position in our prospect pool. Weber and Petry will need to be replaced sooner than later, and I don't think Fleury or Brook will be impact players in the NHL. Playing one of our LH D on the right side is also not a great option in my opinion. If Timmins thinks Ceulemans can be a good player, I think this might work well for us. Great D are hard to trade for.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Even in a poor draft there will be top end players.

In a good, normally scouted draft most of those top end guys will be found in the first, a few in the 2nd , a couple maybe in the 3rd, then a guy here and there in the remaining rounds. That's how it goes because the scouts are pretty efficient at finding the top talent, so they are gone with the higher picks.

This year though it is not well scouted. I am guessing there will be more top end guys who emerge after the first. Its my guess that teams with multiple picks, especially the 2nd and 3rd will have a better chance at finding a gem than other years. It's all marginal odds though, so maybe instead of a 4 % chance of a good player in the 3rd, it goes to 6 %, and then with 2 picks it's 12%. Still long odds, but better.

So I'm glad we have the multiple picks.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I hope a bunch of teams we will be competing with next two years, burn one of their alotted lotto wins on this shit draft.

Help us for when we are in the running for Wright and Bedard

Getting more than one first round pick would really help our odds as well, which if we're smart about how we handle the Price/Weber/Drouin situation ( amongst others) should be feasible.

Reactions: montreal

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
When the 2020-21 season began, many were projecting Aatu Raty as the first overall selection in the 2021 NHL Draft. However, Raty really struggled to start the year and questions were raised about his potential. He got better as the season went on though. Raty put up just three goals and three assists in 33 games for Karpat in the SM Liiga, playing against men in Finland’s top men’s league. However, the 17-year-old was much better when facing opponents his age. He scored three goals and seven points in eight games in the Finnish Under-20 league.

In 2019-20 Raty scored two goals and four points in 12 games in the SM Liiga. He also added two goals and 21 points in 30 games in the Finnish Under-20 league. He had nine points in nine games playing in exhibition tournaments with Finland’s Under-18 team and even made the World Junior Squad as the youngest player in the tournament. As a 17-year old, he scored two goals and three points in the seven-game tournament against the best under-20 players in the world. He also had four points in three games at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup.

2021 NHL Draft #16: Aatu Raty Scouting Report - LWOS

It was certainly an interesting year in the QMJHL, with the season starting in the fall, having a long hiatus, and returning this spring. Add in a few injuries and this lead to Shawinigan Cataractes winger Xavier Bourgault playing just 29 games. He made the most of the games and he did play and was productive with 20 goals and 20 assists for 40 points. Bourgault has also added four assists in five playoff games so far.

A second-round pick, 33rd overall in the 2018 QMJHL Draft, Bourgault had just seven goals and 13 assists for 20 points in 69 games as a rookie. He was also held to just one assist in six playoff games. Bourgault played for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up two assists in five tournament games. However, in his sophomore season, 2019-20, Bourgault emerged as a top player for the Cataractes. He put up 33 goals and 38 assists for 71 points in 63 games before the league shut down due to the global pandemic. Bourgault led the team in goals. He was tied with Dallas Stars 2020 first-round pick Mavrik Bourque for the Cataractes lead in points.

2021 NHL Draft #17: Xavier Bourgault Scouting Report

Russian forward Nikita Chibrikov bounced around the various Russian leagues this year, getting time playing against men in the KHL and VHL, while also having games in the MHL junior league. Play for Russian powerhouse SKA St. Petersburgh, Chibrikov played 16 KHL games scoring one goal and one assist. He added three goals and eight assists for 11 points in 20 VHL games. Playing against other teenagers, Chibrikov scored three goals and six assists for nine points in 11 games. He also added three assists in five playoff games.

Chibrikov really made his mark at the recent IIHF Under-18 World Championship. He put up four goals and nine assists for 13 points in seven tournament games, helping the Russian team to a silver medal. He led the tournament in assists and was named a top-three player on the Russian team. In 2019-20, Chibrikov also appeared at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored three goals and five assists for eight points in six games, helping the Russian team to a gold medal. He played for the Russian men’s team at the recent European Hockey Tournament, putting up a goal and three points in three games.

2021 NHL Draft #18: Nikita Chibrikov Scouting Report

Reactions: L4br3cqu3 and Locks

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It was a difficult season for Carson Lambos. When the start of the WHL season was delayed due to Covid-19, the young defender went to Finland and played in the JYP system. He played just two games and limited ice-time for the big club but got in plenty of time with their junior squads. Lambos had two goals and nine assists for 11 points in the J20 league. He also added three assists in two games in the J18 League. Lambos returned home when the WHL season got underway this spring. However, he played just two games for the Winnipeg Ice before suffering a season-ending injury.

The second overall pick in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft, Lambos had a solid rookie season with Winnipeg in 2019-20. He scored eight goals and 24 assists for 32 points in 57 games. Lambos also played for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up five assists in six games and was named to the tournament All-Star Team. His older brother, Jonny Lambos, is also in the WHL, playing defence for the Brandon Wheat Kings.

2021 NHL Draft #13: Carson Lambos Scouting Report

After their promising 2019-20 season was cut short due to COVID-19, the Chicago Steel came back with a lineup that was just as strong or stronger this year, despite losing some of their top players. Forward Matthew Coronato was a huge part of the success, moving up to the top line. He scored 48 goals and 37 assists for 85 points in 51 games this year. Coronato led the league in goals and plus/minus. He has added seven goals and 10 points in six playoff games, helping the Steel to the Clark Cup Final. The series is currently tied at a game a piece.

In 2019-20, Coronato was a productive rookie despite not getting as much ice time as he would get this season. A third-round pick in the 2019 USHL Draft, he put up 18 goals as well as 22 assists for 40 points in 45 games. Coronato was also named to the USHL Second All-Rookie Team.

Coronato will attend Harvard University next season. He will have some familiar company with linemate Sean Farrell also headed to Harvard. Should he change his mind, his OHL rights are owned by the Barrie Colts.

2021 NHL Draft #14: Matthew Coronato Scouting Report

With the WHL season continuously delayed due to COVID-19, top NHL Draft prospect Cole Sillinger opted to play in the USHL for the Sioux Falls Stampede this year. In 31 games, Sillinger proved to be one of the most dynamic players in the league, scoring 24 goals and 22 assists for 46 points. The choice meant that he needed to spend the entire season in the USHL. He could not rejoin Medicine Hat when the WHL season finally started.

Sillinger was the 11th overall pick of the Medicine Hat Tigers in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft. He enjoyed a strong rookie season with the Tigers putting up 22 goals and 31 assists for 53 points in 48 WHL games in 2019-20. While he didn’t win league-wide honours, he was named Medicine Hat’s Rookie of the Year. Sillinger also played for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored five goals in six tournament games. Sillinger is the son of Mike Sillinger, who played over 1000 games in the NHL over 18 seasons with 12 different NHL teams. His brothers, Luke and Owen are playing NCAA Hockey for Bemidji State.

2021 NHL Draft #15: Cole Sillinger Scouting Report

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
2 months away, going to be a long wait if we lose to the leafs but can't wait as I think this could be a good draft for us despite many being down on the class this year.

Agreed, I think the lack of scouting and general lack of gameplay over the past 2 seasons will lead to some colossal steals. And some colossal mistakes at the top end of the draft as well. Hopefully we can take advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad