2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Why is Colton Dach ranked so low?

Seems like he's got a lot of tools (6'4, soft hands, better skater than his brother) for a draft that features very few players with interesting tools.

I wouldn't be surprised if some teams have him in the 15-25 range. Rankings are all over the place this year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
For those that were wondering like I was, the Draft will be on July 23–24, 2021. So we have something to look forward to after playoffs.

Also, free agency will be on July 28th.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
E2Z4g44XIAgEuav

E2Z4g47WYAgVvQl

Imagine being the team at 10-11 going on the podium and picking Brandt Clarke, what a ridiculous steal that would be!

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Imagine being the team at 10-11 going on the podium and picking Brandt Clarke, what a ridiculous steal that would be!
What's his story? Stat watching, I see that he played in Slovakia and put up good numbers and was ppg at the U18 for Canada.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What's his story? Stat watching, I see that he played in Slovakia and put up good numbers and was ppg at the U18 for Canada.

He's got some really awkward skating quirks that will limit his ability to defend in the NHL if he doesn't fix them.

Reactions: Doc5

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
He's got some really awkward skating quirks that will limit his ability to defend in the NHL if he doesn't fix them.
Habs need to borrow a page from Leafs' book and hire dedicated technical coaches. That is one way to make sure out Hail Mary picks pan out. Right now I feel like we draft players with fixable flaws like skating and just hope they put it together.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
@Stive Morgan Do you have any intel on that kid ?
I like him. Very similar to his brother. (But not quite on the same level, obviously. But stylistically.) He's in my top 60. Late 1st/early 2nd. I have other guys I'd take at #17, but I'd LOVE to snag him with one of our 2nd's (if Chicago doesn't get to him first with the 44th pick, that is)

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I prefer players where skating isn't an issue. Better yet, when its an asset. Skating lessons and working on it doesn't mean it won't still be a problem.

It was nice that it wasn't an issue for CC, and a strength for Guhle

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I prefer players where skating isn't an issue. Better yet, when its an asset. Skating lessons and working on it doesn't mean it won't still be a problem.

AFAIK scouts say skating is the most important/underrated assets when scouting prospects. I remember how kuch hype there was for Jeff Skinner's skating ability.

Reactions: yianik

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Habs need to borrow a page from Leafs' book and hire dedicated technical coaches. That is one way to make sure out Hail Mary picks pan out. Right now I feel like we draft players with fixable flaws like skating and just hope they put it together.

Or you know, just draft someone that is already a good skater instead of banking on yet another player to turn that part of their game around.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kent Johnson being #3 NA is insane. Skilled, for sure... But so flawed.

Note that Ive caught 3 games, so maybe idk.

Also, is Lysell really ranked 9th as a euro??? Does that mean he could fall in the Habs range ? Wtf? Thought that kid was a surefire top 5 pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Also, is Lysell really ranked 9th as a euro??? Does that mean he could fall in the Habs range ? Wtf? Thought that kid was a surefire top 5 pick.

Nah Lyssel ain't in the top 10.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

I think you need to catch a couple more games. I've watched a lot of Johnson now, his skating is weird, but other than that there's not much that's left me wanting. Super smart. Unreal hands. So patient with the puck. Can bury.

In the schema of complementary scorers, he has everything you want. At #8-11, you aren't banking on picking up a 1st liner.

So I would say "so flawed" is a bit harsh. Flawed, for sure. Also the kind of bet a lot of GMs will be happy to make in a thin draft for scoring forwards. Many of the same knocks on him were lobbed at Pastrnak. I'm never going to say he'll be that good, but they have very similar pre-draft profiles.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think you need to catch a couple more games. I've watched a lot of Johnson now, his skating is weird, but other than that there's not much that's left me wanting. Super smart. Unreal hands. So patient with the puck. Can bury.

In the schema of complementary scorers, he has everything you want. At #8-11, you aren't banking on picking up a 1st liner.

So I would say "so flawed" is a bit harsh. Flawed, for sure. Also the kind of bet a lot of GMs will be happy to make in a thin draft for scoring forwards. Many of the same knocks on him were lobbed at Pastrnak. I'm never going to say he'll be that good, but they have very similar pre-draft profiles.
Oh, late top 10 I agree, but that list had him #3 NA, thats pretty high, thats top 5 overall at worst?

He reminds me of Hughes a great deal tbh, holds on the puck for ages from what Ive seen.

I dont see much issue with his skating TBH.

But I will watch him some more for sure. I got some Moosehead Drouin vibes from him, which always scares me. Got the same from Zegras and I went to bat against that kid like I did Drouin.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Oh, late top 10 I agree, but that list had him #3 NA, thats pretty high, thats top 5 overall at worst?

He reminds me of Hughes a great deal tbh, holds on the puck for ages from what Ive seen.

I dont see much issue with his skating TBH.

But I will watch him some more for sure. I got some Moosehead Drouin vibes from him, which always scares me. Got the same from Zegras and I went to bat against that kid like I did Drouin.
Heh, I just watched Scouching’s video on Kent Johnson, sounds like a lower skilled Drouin to me (from his video only, I’ve never seen him play otherwise)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

That's about where I am on him as well. His hands in particular are already at a plus level, he's really great at keeping the puck on his stick and extending possession. His two way game is quite underated too, he's not a 5 on 5 anchor at all. His skating stide is the one key thing that's really holding him back a bit right now, especially his first step. Find a guy that can tweak his technique a bit and you've got something there. Number 3 in NA might be a bit high but he's an easy top 10 pick .

Last edited:
Reactions: jvr32

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

This should be the mantra of the team’s next general manager. Selecting a hockey player with skating issues is like selecting a water polo player who has swimming issues. With so many hurdles facing all but the fewest of drafted players making the NHL, why choose one with such a fundamental challenge?

Last edited:
Reactions: yianik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->