2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He could be good or Scott Morrow as a project RD.

Bolduc or Bourgault wouldn't be bad gambles at our position now.

Ryan Winterton is another one who impressed me at the U-18s as a guy who could be a middle six winger.

Another guy I like is Ryder Korczak. He had a pretty successful PPG WHL season this year and has a lot of talent, just needs to shoot more.

Chibrikov is likely a pipe-dream now.. but Koivunen looked great at the U-18, as did Poltapov as a heavy player.

I don't like Korczak's skating, at all. His edgework is below-average for the NHL right now (his inside edges plain just suck), his stride is choppy and lacks flow, his first few steps are slow and clunky, and his top speed is average at best. Against CHL opposition he does very well as he anticipates the play better than his peers and deals with his skating weakness that way but I worry he will not be nearly as effective against faster, smarter opponents.

I have to admit that Korczak does manage to handle the puck at high speed without losing momentum though, and that's a hard thing to do, but that's about all the praise I can heap onto him when it comes to his ability to purely move on the ice with/without the puck.

Oh, and Korczak's balance at this point in his career needs major work. He falls down a lot when trying to fend opponents along the boards and in front of the net (the few times he does go to the dirty areas to try and score), a lot more than he should.

Now, I'm sure his skating will get better (heard somewhere in the grapevine that he's been working a lot on that this summer), as almost all prospects do, but I just think that it might hold him back quite a bit at the NHL level when you also take into account the rest of his game, which revolves around perimeter play a lot right now and cross-ice passes to set up his teammates, a type of game that isn't well suited at all for the NHL let's face it.

Korczak is talented though, a strong overall defensive player and a good playmaker. so he's still a pretty decent prospect to have. The fact of the matter is that I just personally like other players in the late first-round range a lot better than I do him, but in the second round he's a good pick anywhere after 40 or so to me.

Aside from that part with Korczak I agree with most of what you said. Ville Koivunen was shockingly good at the U-18s which, combined with his strong stats, should warrant him an early second-round selection (or even late first). And Poltapov also played well in the U-18s, but I see him more as a bottom-6 option than I do Koivunen or a guy like Olausson.

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Playing in the Lada Togliatti system forward Fyodor Svechkov split his draft season between the VHL and MHL. Playing against men in the VHL, he put up five goals and 10 assists for 15 points in 38 games played. In the Russian junior league, Svechkov was dominant. He scored four goals and 11 assists for 15 points in 15 games. Svechkov was chosen to play on the Russian team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored four goals and six assists for 10 points in seven games. Svechkov helped the Russian team bring home the silver medal. Svechkov will be moving up to the KHL with SKA St. Petersburg next season. He has signed a contract through the 2022-23 season.

In 2019-20 Svechkov put up just two goals and six points in 24 MHL games. He added one goal and three points in two games in the Under-18 league. He was dominant in the U-18 playoffs with eight goals and seven assists for 15 points in nine games. Svechkov also scored six goals and two assists for eight points in six tournament games. He won a gold medal and was named to the tournament all-star team.

2021 NHL Draft #32: Fyodor Svechkov Scouting Report

Defenceman Anton Olsson is the latest in a long line of talented Swedish defence prospects. Playing in the Malmo Redhawks system, he put up just four points playing 39 games in the SHL this season. He also got seven games in the J20 league, experiencing more offensive success. Olsson scored one goal and four points in seven games. He also represented Team Sweden at the IIHF Under-20 World Championships. Olsson put up three assists in seven tournament games. He helped the Swedish Team to a bronze medal. Olsson was also named as one of the top three players on the team by the Swedish coaches.

Olsson bounced around a bit during the 2019-20 season. He played in five SHL games. He also played 26 games in the Swedish J20 league. Olsson put up six goals and 11 assists for 17 points as a 16-year old. In four J18 games, Olsson scored three goals. He also played for Sweden in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. In five tournament games, he scored two goals and three points. His brother, Albin Olsson is a winger who also came through the Malmo system and is now playing in the Swedish second division.

2021 NHL Draft #33: Anton Olsson Scouting Report

Finnish forward Samu Tuomaala had one of the standout performances of the recent IIHF Under 18 World Championships putting up five goals and six assists for 11 points in seven games. He was named a Top 3 Player on Finland by the team’s coaches. Tuomaala was also named to the Tournament All-Star Team. He was coming off a strong season in the Karpat system in Finland. While Tuomaala didn’t pick up a point in five games in the SM-Liiga, he did a lot better in the Finnish Under-20 league. He scored 15 goals and 16 assists for 31 points in 30 games. He also had four points in five playoff games.

Tuomaala also played in the Under-20 league in 2019-20. The then 16-year-old put up 15 goals and 10 assists for 25 points in 40 games. He also played in one playoff game before the season was cancelled due to the pandemic. Tuomaala represented Finland at the Under 17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored three goals and two assists for five points in five tournament games. His father, Pasi Tuomaala, is an equipment manager in the Karpat junior system, working with the Under-18 team.

2021 NHL Draft #34: Samu Tuomaala Scouting Report

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Chicago Steel had an outstanding season. Led by Sean Farrell, Matthew Coronato, Josh Doan, Erik Middendorf, and Ryan Ufko, the Steel had a very talented roster. They dominated the USHL and won the Clark Cup. One prospect who flew under the radar on the squad was Mackie Samoskevich (sometimes listed as Matthew Samoskevich). Playing mainly a middle-six role, and serving as an alternate captain, Samoskevich put up 13 goals and 24 assists for 37 points in 36 regular-season games. He also added one goal and nine assists for 10 points in the eight playoff games during the Steel’s run to the Championship.

Samoskevich played prep school hockey at the famous Shattuck-St. Mary’s program. He was drafted in the fourth round, 63rd overall, in the 2018 USHL Futures Draft. However, Samoskevich didn’t see significant USHL playing time until 2019. In 2019-20 Samoskevich scored 13 goals and 34 points in 41 games with the Steel. He also scored one goal in four games for Team USA at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. Samoskevich committed to join the University of Michigan for the 2021-22 season. His sister, Melissa Samoskevich, is a top young player in the NWHL.

2021 NHL Draft #35: Mackie Samoskevich Scouting Report

Originally drafted by the Calgary Hitmen in the 2nd round, 29th overall at the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft, Ryder Korczak really broke out after a May 2019 trade that sent him to the Moose Jaw Warriors. He was named an alternate captain with his new team. In the 2019-20 season, he put up 18 goals and 49 assists for 67 points in 62 games. The 2020-21 WHL season was severely shortened due to issues with the COVID Pandemic. Once he got on the ice though, Korczak proved that his breakout campaign was no fluke. He scored three goals and 13 assists for 16 points in 17 games with the Warriors.

His breakout came after a difficult rookie season in Calgary. In 2018-19, Korczak scored just eight goals and seven assists for 15 points in 50 games with the Hitmen. He also had two goals and five points in 11 playoff games.

Korczak comes from a hockey family. His older brother, Kaeden Korczak was drafted by the Vegas Golden Knights in the second round, 41st overall of the 2019 NHL Draft. His father, Chad Korczak, played NCAA hockey in the 1990s with Michigan Tech and the University of Chicago-Illinois.

2021 NHL Draft #36: Ryder Korczak Scouting Report

Drafted fourth overall in the 2019 QMJHL Draft by the Gatineau Olympiques, Zach Dean made an immediate impact in the league. He put up 18 goals and 28 assists for 46 points in 57 games in his rookie campaign in 2019-20. The performance meant that Dean was named to the QMJHL All-Rookie Team. He also played for Team Canada Black at that year’s Under-17 World Hockey Championships. Dean had a dominant performance, scoring three goals and four assists for seven points in five tournament games.

Like many prospects this year, Dean’s draft season was a difficult one. The QMJHL season was plagued with stops and starts due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Before the campaign, he was named an alternate captain for the Olympiques. Dean scored 10 goals as well as 10 assists for 20 points in 23 regular-season games. He also scored one goal and one assist for two points in four playoff games. Unfortunately, the Olympiques fell three games to one to the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada in the first round of the modified QMJHL playoffs.

2021 NHL Draft #37: Zach Dean Scouting Report - LWOS

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Sean Behrens was one of the top offensive defencemen for the U.S. National Team Development Program Under-18 Team this season. He put up seven goals and 28 assists for 35 points in 46 games. Behrens was named an alternate captain for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored one goal and three assists for four points in five games at the tournament. Unfortunately, the American team disappointed on home ice, getting eliminated in the quarterfinal.

In 2019-20 Behrens scored six goals and 31 assists for 37 points in 45 games for the Under-17 team. He also played in six games for the Under-18 team scoring a goal and two assists for three points. Behrens helped the American team to a silver medal at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up one goal and seven assists for eight points in six games. Behrens made the Tournament All-Star team. He also led all defenders in the tournament in both assists and points.

Behrens is committed to playing NCAA Hockey for the University of Denver Pioneers next season. Should he change his mind and opt to head down the CHL route, his rights are owned by the OHL’s Sarnia Sting.

2021 NHL Draft #38: Sean Behrens Scouting Report

Not too long ago, we covered Logan Stankoven, who is one of the better pure shooters in this class. A name not mentioned in that piece that is in that argument as well is Mason McTavish. Similar to Stankoven, he displays a high-end goal-scoring ability. He brings much more to the table than that. What else does he bring?

McTavish, born January 30th, 2003, is an 18-year-old center, who played for EHC Olten in the Swiss league. The Zurich, Switzerland native stands at 6’2” and 207 pounds. He has been ranked as early as 5th, by Elite Prospects, and as late as 32nd by Smaht Scouting. Elite Prospects consolidated rankings have McTavish ranked 14th. Personally, I have McTavish ranked 21st.

Playing in the Swiss league this season, McTavish recorded nine goals and two assists for 11 points in 13 games. With the OHL not having played a single game this season, McTavish was forced down the European league route, similar to players like Carson Lambos and Brandt Clarke. Last season, in the OHL with the Peterborough Petes, McTavish recorded 23 goals and 13 assists for 42 points in 57 games.

NHL Prospect Outlook: Mason McTavish Deep Dive - LWOH

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Bolduc has been so inconsistent. If he ever puts it all together he’s a Top 15 pick. But at 28, absolutely worth a shot if he’s there.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Should NJ draft L. Hughes just for the lulz?

They need all the help they can get on D, so I don't see why not.

The only real building block they have on D right now is Ty Smith, which means that Hughes would definitely help there. He might not have as refined a defensive game nor as good an hockey IQ as Brandt Clarke, another player I think NJ will take a long look at given their draft position (Edvinsson also), but Luke Hughes has much better skating, more offensive potential while also being no slouch physically or defensively so he would still be a really strong option for them at #4.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
ok boys, who's our fav target? haven't followed the prospects at all this year :laugh:

The only guy I truly love is Eklund and he's going top 10/should be in the top 3.

This draft is such a crapshoot I really don't know who will be available at our pick.. fingers crossed on Chibrikov or Rosen for me, ultimately.

Locks

May 28, 2005
The only guy I truly love is Eklund and he's going top 10/should be in the top 3.

This draft is such a crapshoot I really don't know who will be available at our pick.. fingers crossed on Chibrikov or Rosen for me, ultimately.

Yeah, Chibrikov or Rosen would be great but we would need some help from several teams for one of them to drop from 22,23 where they are currently ranked by TSN Makenzie to 28. I guess the final ranking after the CHL prospects mini-tournament will give some more clarity on our chances.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Who's the meanest kid with good puck skills? Hopefully with good IQ/game sense too.
both on D and F

I've seen a decent amount of Steel games this season and Samoskevich looked good, could be a nice value pick in the late 1st/early 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal and Locks

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Who's the meanest kid with good puck skills? Hopefully with good IQ/game sense too.
both on D and F

I've seen a decent amount of Steel games this season and Samoskevich looked good, could be a nice value pick in the late 1st/early 2nd.

L'heureux

Reactions: Saxon

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
both on D and F

Probably L'Heureux, he's got a Marchand-esque POS element to his game.

Reactions: Saxon

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Would be a homerun if we could get either Sillinger or Kent Johnson. I've heard really good things about Eklund too but with him we're talking more within the top 5, I've seen Sillinger and Johnson pretty low on a lot of lists (10-15). To me they're easily top 10 talents, Johnson is a top 5 prospect for me.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Would be a homerun if we could get either Sillinger or Kent Johnson. I've heard really good things about Eklund too but with him we're talking more within the top 5, I've seen Sillinger and Johnson pretty low on a lot of lists (10-15). To me they're easily top 10 talents, Johnson is a top 5 prospect to me.
If Johnson makes it to our spot I will do a white boy backflip in my living room and probably break both ankles in the process.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If Johnson makes it to our spot I will do a white boy backflip in my living room and probably break both ankles in the process.

no i mean we'd need to move up for them but if we see those type of players dropping to 10 ~ 15 i would easily move up, MTL has a lot of trade chips to play around w/ this year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad