2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
The public pressure to draft one or multiple quebecois this summer will be intense. Not sure Timmins and MB (if still in charge) will be able to resist. The environment in Mtl makes it impossible to compete in this league. It forces bad decisions. The same pressure is going to force the Habs to keep Danault as well.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The public pressure to draft one or multiple quebecois this summer will be intense. Not sure Timmins and MB (if still in charge) will be able to resist. The environment in Mtl makes it impossible to compete in this league. It forces bad decisions. The same pressure is going to force the Habs to keep Danault as well.

Last year we could have taken Lapierre, and that guy has legit potential to be a top 6C. We picked Guhle, and if his upside is no higher than a no.4 then TT blew yet another pick, if Guhle has no.2/3 D potential then fine, though I still would have preferred Lapierre.

This year, none of the Q guys are of interest. I don't see any of them as having legit you 6 potential, but there are other guys there with that potential, like Sillinger. Leave it to Habs to go left when they needed to go right.

Reactions: CapSpace

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Last year we could have taken Lapierre, and that guy has legit potential to be a top 6C. We picked Guhle, and if his upside is no higher than a no.4 then TT blew yet another pick, if Guhle has no.2/3 D potential then fine, though I still would have preferred Lapierre.

This year, none of the Q guys are of interest. I don't see any of them as having legit you 6 potential, but there are other guys there with that potential, like Sillinger. Leave it to Habs to go left when they needed to go right.

Mavrik Bourque better

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lots of skills, and better shot. Definitely Quebec talent available, and I think on a different level than this year.

Yeah I liked the crop last year.. I am not a big fan of the crop this year.. Bourgault didn't progress much. Bolduc is always so up and down. L'Heureux has high floor but low ceiling.

Reactions: yianik

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
What's holding Luke Hughes back from being viewed as a top 5 pick?
Decision making mostly, he hasn't always been able to play his position consistantly. He's not as dynamic as his brother Quinn is so he won't be able to compensate bad defensive plays with production in the NHL, he needs to be a reliable Dman . FWIW, I'd be very shocked if he isn't a top 5 pick in the end, he's pretty much a lock.

Last edited:

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA

There's probably not one NHL franchise that would have drafted Lapierre over Guhle last year, and you are advocating for that. People like you are the reason the Habs are doomed.

Reactions: shanewalsh

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
There's probably not one NHL franchise that would have drafted Lapierre over Guhle last year, and you are advocating for that. People like you are the reason the Habs are doomed.

The Habs are doomed because of people like me ? Quite the opposite.

I said if Guhle has no offense and his ceiling is as a no.4D, it's a bad pick. No.4D like Chiarot, Edmunson etc. If his upside is no.3 D, like Petry, then fine.

So the Habs have had 30 years of mediocrity because of people with your mindset running the team, picking defence over offensive talent, going for the solid 2 way , middle 6 player instead of always going for the high ceiling player , like they did with Caulfield.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I said if Guhle has no offense and his ceiling is as a no.4D, it's a bad pick. No.4D like Chiarot, Edmunson etc. If his upside is no.3 D, like Petry, then fine.

So the Habs have had 30 years of mediocrity because of people with your mindset running the team, picking defence over offensive talent, going for the solid 2 way , middle 6 player instead of always going for the high ceiling player , like they did with Caulfield.

He's way more skilled than Chiarot and Edmundson. Much better skater too.

I can see him being a good partner for someone like Norlinder whenever he comes over.

He's a big guy, who can skate, hit, and move the puck.

I'm ok with that pick, but this year we need to go offense: Rosen, Chibrikov, Sillinger, Coronato type.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

There's a few guys in later rounds I wouldn't mind: Justin Robidas, Oscar Plandowski, Evan Nause, Olivier Nadeau, William Trudeau, Isaac Belliveau, and Manix Landry to name a few.

We have 6 picks in rounds 3-5. Might as well take a shot at some of these kids.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario

Nobody knows for sure what Guhle is or what Lapierre is, especially when they were drafted.
You can't use hindsight to say whether they made the right choice. Lapierre has concussion problems. What if he's Joey Hishon and Guhle is a top-4?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Nobody knows for sure what Guhle is or what Lapierre is, especially when they were drafted.
You can't use hindsight to say whether they made the right choice. Lapierre has concussion problems. What if he's Joey Hishon and Guhle is a top-4?

I'm not using hindsight.

Tinordi as an example. Tinner was big, physical, mean, could skate and had a bare amount of skills. If all went well, his upside was a no.4D. Blown pick right off the bat, no hindsight needed. Don't waste 1st round picks on low ceiling players.

All I'm saying, is if Guhle' s upside is as a no.4D, like Tinordi, he is a blown pick, and we should have picked someone with high upside, like Lapierre. However, many are commenting on his higher skill level. So if his ceiling is a 2/3 D, then good pick, whether he pans out or not.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I'm not using hindsight.

Tinordi as an example. Tinner was bid, physical, mean, could skate and had a bare amount of skills. If all went well, his upside was a no.4D. Blown pick right off the bat, no hindsight needed. Don't waste 1st round picks on low ceiling players.

All I'm saying, is if Guhle' s upside is as a no.4D, like Tinordi, he is a blown pick, and we should have picked someone with high upside, like Lapierre. However, many are commenting on his higher skill level. So if his ceiling is a 2/3 D, then good pick, whether he pans out or not.

I know what you're saying. I think MTL pegs him as a top pairing guy. But only time will tell.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I know what you're saying. I think MTL pegs him as a top pairing guy. But only time will tell.

Then I am fine with that. He has a lot of Weber qualities that is clear, with hopefully a better puck carrying game. If guy has legit top pair potential then I am happy with the pick.

What I hate is at D+1 finding out we picked a guy who has a great chance of being a no.4D or middle six forward.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Did a quick draft with the draft simulator.
draftsim
18. Coronato, LW
50. Nause, LD
62. Robidas, C
77. Dach, LW/C
92.Nadeau, RW
112. Myrenberg, RD
114. Tinling, C/LW
122. Nelson, LD
142. Doan, C
178. Belliveau, LD
210. Chiasson, RW

A bit of skill, size, goalscoring.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Did a quick draft with the draft simulator.
draftsim
18. Coronato, LW
50. Nause, LD
62. Robidas, C
77. Dach, LW/C
92.Nadeau, RW
112. Myrenberg, RD
114. Tinling, C/LW
122. Nelson, LD
142. Doan, C
178. Belliveau, LD
210. Chiasson, RW

A bit of skill, size, goalscoring.
Svechkov C
Pinelli C
Lukashevich LD
Koivunen RW
Stjernborg C
Reynolds C
Lockhart C
Rysavy LW
O'Brian C
Frasca C
Cardwell C

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
There's a few guys in later rounds I wouldn't mind: Justin Robidas, Oscar Plandowski, Evan Nause, Olivier Nadeau, William Trudeau, Isaac Belliveau, and Manix Landry to name a few.

We have 6 picks in rounds 3-5. Might as well take a shot at some of these kids.
Any love for Josh Roy?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I have a question concerning that sim draft. It has us at the 18th spot in the draft. I don't get it. If we're 16th among playoff teams shouldn't that place us at 17th (15 nonplayoff teams + Seattle) minus the Arizona pick? According to my flawed math, we should be picking 16th.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I have a question concerning that sim draft. It has us at the 18th spot in the draft. I don't get it. If we're 16th among playoff teams shouldn't that place us at 17th (15 nonplayoff teams + Seattle) minus the Arizona pick? According to my flawed math, we should be picking 16th.
I don't know man, I went the humanities route in college so I'd never have to do math ever again :huh:

Reactions: yianik and MadMslm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad