2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I completely skipped this draft because it’s said to be one of the weaker drafts in recent memory and COVID shut down a lot of the junior leagues.

Interested to see the rankings even though the Habs will probably have early 20’s pick.

I think we will be picking in the teens. We would be one of the lowest point totals qualifying for the playoffs.

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was working on my list when my computer conked out so I will just go high level -

Cole Sillinger
Fabian Lysell
Corson Ceulemans
Matthew Coronato
Nikita Chibrikov
Isak Rosen
Oskar Olausson

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I saw that Bob has Raty at 20. I remember he was talked about as a potential 1st overall pick last year. Thoughts on him?

He's someone you just steer clear of.. he's not progressed. The offense hasn't developed. His pre-draft year pedigree will have someone grab him but it's like the Angelo Esposito situation where you are drafting the hype from a year ago, not the play on the ice.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It will certainly be interesting to see how the U-18s go since they are getting closer, and how that changes rankings.

I imagine they will have a huge impact. This will be an opportunity for guys who they may not have had a lot of looks at, to play against the best in their age group and make a statement about their development.

There's so much volatility this year.. partly due to Covid and partly due to a draft where there aren't many stand-out players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I imagine they will have a huge impact. This will be an opportunity for guys who they may not have had a lot of looks at, to play against the best in their age group and make a statement about their development.

There's so much volatility this year.. partly due to Covid and partly due to a draft where there aren't many stand-out players.

I look at the OHL as the best junior league in the world the last few years (with no data to back this up, just seems to be the best) so in a year where the possible best junior league isn't even playing it's got to be really tough on the scouts. That said maybe instead of trading some picks this year for '22 or '23 picks like they did last year, maybe we should see if we can make some steals from the OHL. Let the cream rise to the top and whoever doesn't we just don't sign.

'22 and '23 look to be strong drafts and if KK/Suzuki aren't able to step up enough by then, we could be in trouble since I don't know how they will be able to fix the blueline much next season and the following you will have a lot of help that could be incoming but they will be very inexperienced so who knows how that will go. Plus they could look to trade assets to move up in those draft classes if they are strong, and we have the assets and a new GM since MB doesn't trade up which is just stupid imo, though i've never looked at the data on that either.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
We need to tank to get one of those LD picks in the top 5.
Based on our recent play, I can tell the team is on board and believe we can do it!

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
He's someone you just steer clear of.. he's not progressed. The offense hasn't developed. His pre-draft year pedigree will have someone grab him but it's like the Angelo Esposito situation where you are drafting the hype from a year ago, not the play on the ice.
Gotcha

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Based on our recent play, I can tell the team is on board and believe we can do it!

LD isn't really our area of concern prospect wise.. it's a roster issue now.

I'd also not wanna use any of our lotto luck on this year.. even the top blue liners in this crop aren't world beaters.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
LD isn't really our area of concern prospect wise.. it's a roster issue now.

I'd also not wanna use any of our lotto luck on this year.. even the top blue liners in this crop aren't world beaters.
True, we actually need RD in the depth area more. I really liked Beniers at the WJ, think he will be good, haven't seen enough of the rest of the top 5.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
True, we actually need RD in the depth area more. I really liked Beniers at the WJ, think he will be good, haven't seen enough of the rest of the top 5.

Beniers going to get over-drafted due to WJC hype and being a projectable center.. I'm on record as not being a huge fan because I think his playmaking is extremely limited. But I do think a team will enjoy the other pieces he brings to the table and he's very safe. High floor, low ceiling type of guy.

RD is pretty weak in this draft.. Ceulemans and Morrow are wild card RDs but have home run potential.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I like Lucius as well as anyone in this draft, but I had the feeling he played himself out of range for the Habs since returning from injury. Although the U18 tournament will shake things up. My fallback options Ceulemans, is sitting in a sweet spot for the Habs at #18, if they don't have a big playoff run. Svechkov at #30 if they do have a big playoff run. But there will be a lot of interesting sleeper prospects available in the middle rounds. That is where things will get interesting, and the scouting staff will have to prove itself, one way or the other.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Yeah, we aren't going on a big playoff run. So I'm focusing on the 8-20 range of guys. So far, in that area, I like:

Ceulemans
Sillinger
Lambos
Bourgault
Coronato
Olausson
Lucius

Johnson is my favourite guy in the draft but we've likely played our way out of that angle.

Sounds like I need to get some looks at Chibrikov.

Reactions: NeptunesTrident

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Nah. The only D I really like in this draft is Brandt Clarke. Should just take forward and go for D later.

The forwards aren't overly exciting, but I do believe there'll be a few top 6 players picked.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
I’ve done about 20 mins of research, and my targets for our draft (assuming we pick 16-17th) are:

Oskar Olausson
Sasha Pastujov

tell me why I’m wrong

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Simon Robertsson at 28, Oskar Olausson at 26 and Lysell at 12 :laugh:

Robertsson is dropping because there's concerns about his release. Apparently, he has a back swing on his shot, which makes it really hard, but some scouts think he won't be able to get it off quickly in NHL where you don't get a lot of time & space, which would really change his projection as a player.

Something to watch for at U18s.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Robertsson is dropping because there's concerns about his release. Apparently, he has a back swing on his shot, which makes it really hard, but some scouts think he won't be able to get it off quickly in NHL where you don't get a lot of time & space, which would really change his projection as a player.

Something to watch for at U18s.

I'd be happy to take that risk on Robertsson. He's a top 15 pick for sure

Olausson has a higher ceiling though..

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Based on Bob's list and provided we end up with an early-ish mid round pick (we sure look closer to #10 than to #25 these days...) , the best value seems to be in the forward group. Guys like Chayka and Ceuleman don't appeal to me all that much. Lambos is a total wild card though, not getting much of a season in the WHL makes him hard to really position and Timmins loves those high picks coming out of bantam types.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad