2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
OHL officially cancels the Return to Play Plans:

So no OHL, 25-ish WHL games with no playoffs. QMJHL with limited games due to shut downs at different times this year.

I see a lot of players drafted out the NCAA, USHL, and Europe this year since the viewing sample is a lot larger for all of these leagues as opposed to the CHL.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Based on Bob's list and provided we end up with an early-ish mid round pick (we sure look closer to #10 than to #25 these days...) , the best value seems to be in the forward group. Guys like Chayka and Ceuleman don't appeal to me all that much. Lambos is a total wild card though, not getting much of a season in the WHL makes him hard to really position and Timmins loves those high picks coming out of bantam types.​

I'm a big fan of Lambos. He showed everything I needed to see last year as he was playing PP1, PK1, and 1D at 16. Very rare to see that in the WHL.

Now, the severity of whatever he's dealing with hasn't been disclosed, but unless they are removing an appendage, I wouldn't really blink if a team took him top 5. 6-9, teams are laughing. 10-15, they're sprinting. 15-20, there needs to be a criminal negligence investigation.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm a big fan of Lambos. He showed everything I needed to see last year as he was playing PP1, PK1, and 1D at 16. Very rare to see that in the WHL.

Now, the severity of whatever he's dealing with hasn't been disclosed, but unless they are removing an appendage, I wouldn't really blink if a team took him top 5. 6-9, teams are laughing. 10-15, they're sprinting. 15-20, there needs to be a criminal negligence investigation.
There was a decent amont of hype around him coming into the WHL and he didn't disappoint as a rookie, that's for sure.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The 2020-21 hockey season has been strange for everyone, but it has been well established that those playing junior hockey in Canada have had it worse than those in other countries. For top WHL prospect Dylan Guenther, it has meant just 12 games playing for the Edmonton Oil Kings. Guenther made the most of those 12 games though, putting up 12 goals and 12 assists for 24 points. He also played four games for the Sherwood Park Crusaders in the AJHL, scoring three goals and two assists for five points. Guenther will now join Team Canada for the upcoming IIHF Under-18 World Championships.

Guenther was the first overall pick in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft. Last season he put up 26 goals and 33 assists for 59 points in 58 games with the Oil Kings. Guenther won the Jim Piggot Trophy as the WHL Rookie of the Year. He also played for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Guenther had three goals in the six-game tournament. In 2018-19, Guenther played eight games for the Oil Kings, putting up three goals and four points.

2021 NHL Draft #6: Dylan Guenther Scouting Report

Recent years have seen goalies Spencer Knight and Yaroslav Askarov be picked just outside the top 10 of the NHL Draft. In 2021, Swedish goalie Jesper Wallstedt hopes to become the first top-10 pick since Carey Price in 2005. Wallstedt has spent the season with Lulea HF in the SHL. Playing against men, he put up a 12-10-0 record, .908 save percentage, 2.23 goals-against average, and 2 shutouts in 22 games.

Wallstedt also played two games for Sweden at the World Juniors putting up an 0-1-0 record with a .923 save percentage, and 2.40 goals-against average. Wallstedt also helped Sweden to a bronze medal at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup with a .936 save percentage in three games.

Last season, Wallstedt had just one SHL game. Despite a .944 save percentage, he took the loss. He went 16-11-0, with a .923 save percentage and 2.53 goals-against average in 28 games in the Under-20 league. His older brother, Jacob Wallstedt, is another goalie who has played NCAA Hockey in Division as well as lower-level pro hockey in Sweden.

2021 NHL Draft #7: Jesper Wallstedt Scouting Report

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
20210422_182059_HDR.jpg

First time playing NHL21 Franchise mode. Look at my totally realistic draft :sarcasm:

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Lucius, Gasseau, and Martin have been pulled from the U18 tournament for some reason by USA Hockey. Probably Covid protocol. May improve Habs chances of landing one or more of them in the draft. I think Lucius and Gasseau would have improved their stock for sure.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
How would you guys rate the following players?

- Dylan Guenther
- Matthew Berniers
- Kent Johnson
- William Eklund

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's looking like we pick #16 or #17 unless we miss the playoffs (hopefully) and climb to the #9-11 range. This year it may not make much difference since it's such a crapshoot but I'd rather this thing crash and burn and we clean house.

I'm looking at McKenzie's list and literally don't know any of these guys names outside some at the top. Anyone you guys like as a forward with high offensive upside in our range?

Edit: holy crap I just saw Connor Bedard's numbers in the WHL as a 15 year old. Burn this freakin thing to the ground for 2022 and 2023 before trying to compete after that.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Add Finnish left shooting C Samu Salminen to the list of prospects who would interest the Habs. Already 6-3, 200+ pounds, plays a smart two way game and is headed to U of Denver next season. Hits a number of markers for the team in terms of their recent draft policy.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I really like Benier...fast, great puck pursuit, decent offensively.
Scott Morrow... great skater, terrific edge work...skates and moves like Chelios on the ice.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I really like Benier...fast, great puck pursuit, decent offensively.
Scott Morrow... great skater, terrific edge work...skates and moves like Chelios on the ice.
Pretty sure Tiny Timmins is forbidden to draft Minnesota high schoolers by this point.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Svechkov starts things off for the Russians, he may be the best player in this tournament. Salminen evens for the Finns. Another player I'd like for the Habs.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Has anyone watched much of Ceulemans? Wisconsin commit, RHD, offensively talented, seemingly good skater, good size. I want to swing for the fences as much as anyone else but he seems like he could be a gem if we get him in the teens.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Has anyone watched much of Ceulemans? Wisconsin commit, RHD, offensively talented, seemingly good skater, good size. I want to swing for the fences as much as anyone else but he seems like he could be a gem if we get him in the teens.

You can watch him at the U-18s.. he was pretty underwhelming in game 1 of the tournament (not that it means much)

Reactions: MarkovsKnee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad